The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The Huge ball bearing from Gertner's Cup&Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Does anyone know where I can get the huge final loading ball bearing? I've had the book around for quite some time now, then I saw his performance clip on Carson(posted on his website). Thanks.

All the best,

DaveM
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Check listings for "Timkins Roller Bearings". Someone in the engine/wheel industry may be able to help.

Just a thought.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
http://www.mcmaster.com and do a search
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-08-16 16:14, Pete Biro wrote:
http://www.mcmaster.com and do a search

Pete,

How the heck do you come up with these esoteic sites? You are a veritable fountain of information.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
If you can't find it at McMaster-Carr, try http://www.grainger.com For ease of search, go through the catalog (pdf based, slower, but not as many hits to wade through). With some creative hacksaw work you may be able to harvest the steel balls from a ball conveyor. Look up Ball Transfer in the grainger catalog for more detail.

Another option, equally untried - what if you bought some of the large chrome Chinese health balls, drilled a small hole in them, and shot them full of glue to kill the chime inside? Might work. Then again, might not.
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Hello Pete,
Man you're good. I think I found exactly what I needed on that site you referred to. Thanks.

All the best,

DaveM
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Dave,
Quote:
On 2003-08-17 12:19, DaveM wrote:
Hello Pete,
Man you're good. I think I found exactly what I needed on that site you referred to. Thanks.

All the best,

DaveM

Could you provide a direct link or product number to the large ball bearings?

Thanks!

Curt
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Here's one page:

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearc......el+Balls

Just search under "ball" and then pick steel. They aren't cheap depending on the size you need. There are other types of balls here as well...another great tip from Pete...
Cordially,
tr
Smile
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
I checked out the prices on the larger ones....OUCH! I'm in the Navy; wife would NEVER let me blow that kind of dough on one effect.

All the best,

DaveM
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I saw a 3 inch stell ball for just under $100.
This website is a great find Pete!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Halbert
View Profile
New user
Oregon, USA
6 Posts

Profile of Halbert
If you happen to want 1" & 1/16" balls (coincidentally a standard pinball) they are slightly cheaper here: http://pinballresource.virtualave.net/catalog4.htm (not-co-coincidentally a pinball part supplier).

edit: And hey, figures it would take a comment about pinball (my other hobby) to stop lurking.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
DaveM-
Would the wife let you blow the dough on two effects? John Bannon's "Single Bullet Theory" from his book "Smoke and Mirrors" also uses an eight-ball sized ball bearing.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Someone just asked about Clear Plastic/Acrylic 2" balls. One suggestion was the Dube.com website. As it turns out, they have stainless steel contact juggling balls (that are hollow, made like the Chinese Therapy Balls without the bells) that come as large as 2.875 in. for only $18.00

That may just fit the bill at a price that won't make you miss a rent payment.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Be very careful about using pinballs. They are probably carbon or chrome steel and will rust with constant handling. So, unless you are prepared to clean them frequently, get the stainless steel balls at McMaster-Carr.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just checking back here and IMHO ... I would use real Billiard Balls. I use a white cue ball and a black 8-ball for final loads in a chop cup. The cup is leather, so the noise is no problem... Smile
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
How about large stainless steel nuts? And bolts?

Anyone have any info on where they can be bought??
Daniel Faith
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Randall, go to McMaster-Carr! You can get giant sized nuts and bolts (eg, a 4" x 6" nut for $125).
Harold Cataquet
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Is there anything that Pete Biro doesn't have nailed down?

You amaze me, Pete. Sometimes I come aboard just to seewhat you have posted. You're a true source of information.

Ron
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ron G... Nailed down, hmmmmm... you live in L.A.? I have two windows that have been repaired and I need some help holding them in place while I screw in the hinges.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » The Huge ball bearing from Gertner's Cup&Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL