The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't text or talk on your phone at this theater in Austin, Texas. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I love this. I wish more theaters would do such things. She deserved this. Her parents must be so very proud of their little darling.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout......090.html
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I fully support their right to do this.
Well, RS1963 posted something I agree with.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Yes and there have been a couple of other things we have agreed with. So this this isn't a first.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Make that a trifecta. [Chance looks up to see if the sky is falling...]
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I think the rapture is a certainty now Smile A bit late but lol
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Heard that on the radio tonight. I love that she is so concerned with good manners!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I think it's great. I also think the makers of that commercial may be somewhat overestimating the impact their work will have.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Well, it was just a "spiritual" rapture, so it was still on time. World still ends in October. At least I get an iPhone in September, so I'll enjoy that much.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I heard the world will be ending two days before my birthday.
~Will Rogers
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I never knew till today that we live in the "Magnited States of America" according to missy on there in her voice mail.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sorry I can't add to the trifecta here, but what is wrong with texting in a movie theatre? Assuming there's no noise made, why do you consider it bad behavior?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Because you're in a dark theater and you're annoying people in your immediate vicinity with your bright text screen.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-06-08 12:02, landmark wrote:
Sorry I can't add to the trifecta here, but what is wrong with texting in a movie theatre? Assuming there's no noise made, why do you consider it bad behavior?

It tends to disrupt others' willing suspension of disbelief. And the light is distracting and pulls focus.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Exactly Ed and Lobo. Plus if one can't stop sending text messages for a few hours they probably shouldn't be out in public at all. But someplace having their mental state evaluated.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ah, the light thing. Okay, I've never had that experience, but now I understand better.

Here's a somewhat related incident I had a number of years ago--I was taking some young students to see their first Broadway musical; they were very excited, it was the excellent revival of Cabaret. But one young man spent the whole time sitting listening to his iPod via headphones. He said he enjoyed the show, however.

Anyway, I'm not so sure this whole thing has to do with lack of intelligence. These modern day gizmos are darn seductive. I just got a smartphone after years of saying I would never get one, and here I am being the a**hole on the street who can't take his eyes off the thing. My son's generation takes it as a given that you can interrupt any live conversation to answer your phone and have another ongoing conversation, be it text or cell.

But maybe someone under 25 can weigh in here.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
So should I not download the flashlight app? I was soo like seriously thinking of doing it you know
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Takes me back to when all of the J-Holes used to bring laser pointers to the theatre. If I'd have ever figured out which J-Hole had it I'd probably be in prison now. Or an ex-con.
I was in a movie a couple months ago and this guy came in with his buddy, both reeking of alcohol, plopped down right in front of me, and lit a cigarette and struck up a conversation with some d-baggy types in front of him. Not surprisingly, an usher came and asked him to leave. He refused and the usher left and came back with four larger ushers. Then he left.
That incident was actually pretty comedic to me. And it was better than the movie, which I think was "Drive Angry."
~Will Rogers
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I saw a guy pull a knife out during an argument over saving seats at a sold out screening of Avatar.
-Matt
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
My favorite was being asked by a simpleton sitting behind me if my wife and I could change seats as his girlfriend couldn't see the screen. I told him no. I then suggested that perhaps he and his girlfriend could swap seats. You could see the dim light behind his eyes try to illuminate as it dawned on him that this scenario would actually work as well.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
[quote]On 2011-06-08 12:02, landmark wrote:
[/quotet)

If someone must text while seated in a theater watching a movie, I've got to wonder why they went to the movie in the first place. If sending a message is so important that it must be done then and there, then go to the lobby and text your brains out. I wouldn't classify it bad behaviour as much as I would call it a monumental lack of common sense and courtesy to others. Qualities that seem to be in short supply these days.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't text or talk on your phone at this theater in Austin, Texas. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL