The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Angry Bird Sponges from Magic Geek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I posted a while ago about this effect. The reason I posted about it? Well, every so often, a piece of magic comes along that is so novel, practical and ‘down with the kids’ that it not only makes me smile but also gets my fingers and imagination twitching. However, many questions cropped up about the effect shortly after.

I now have the Angry Birds Sponges set from Magic Geek and can finally give a solid and honest review. Firstly, let me begin by standing with my own personal view point of sponge magic. I love it BUT I'm not a fan of the traditional sponge balls. I would much prefer a fun way of introducing odd sponge things. However, I would rather now resort to sponge bunnies and lets not get onto that other rampant rabbit, the sponge Ding Dong... Enough said! I have searched for many routines that fit my own style. About 3 or so years ago, I discovered ‘Black I’s’ by Matthew Johnson which I still love performing. But I found that, although it is great to perform in gigs, I would love to have an alternate presentation with sponges.

Enter 2011, Magic Geek Presents: Angry Sponges. Im a huge fan of the game and everything it’s become. You can now purchase the game not only as an app on nearly any smart phone, but also on other video game consoles and can even buy Angry Bird teddy birds. I also know, most of the people I know, are friends with and are friends of who I'm friends with (if that makes sense) would be very aware of the routine and subsequently, would enjoy the routine.

So onto the actual product. You get a set of hand crafted, top quality Goshman Sponges. Three small blue, three gold stars, one green pig, one red bird and one colour changing bird. Not only that but you get a DVD, downloadable images and an egg holder to keep your sponges safe in. One huge point people first kicked up about was the quality of the faces on the birds. I do not believe that the quality is at all bad. I think they depict the characters very well and whilst being slightly sketchy, no spectators have questioned the quality of the sponges. They are so taken aback by the face your handling 3D angry birds, they don’t seem to notice anything untoward! They will last a very long time as long as some care is taken. But that goes for any magic prop.

The DVD is incredibly in depth. Firstly the street recordings of the effect. Then History of the effect. Moving into the basic handling which is taught very in-depth. Then onto a video commentary of the street performances. Then onto additional thoughts on handling and ending with how to maintain your birds, creating new birds and finally the end thank you’s. The DVD is superbly produced and they leave no stone unturned. Chris is incredibly charismatic even in explanation and I found myself truly laughing throughout. A nice touch i’m sure you’ll agree when so often i’ve been bored to sleep by some magic explanations on DVD’s!

You can easily maintain then if the pain should rub of etc. It’s not hard and any gimmick savvy magician will be fine with it. The routine is just a brilliant, bang up to the moment piece of magic that will resinate with any audience even if they have not heard of Angry Birds. Its creates a personal moment between them and their smartphone which doesn't involve the vibrate function.

All I wish to say is, I think the guys at Magic Geek and produced a truly topical effect that really does put a huge smile on everyones face. Even if for the casual situation, this WILL become a talking point amongst friends, family and work colleagues. Even if the interest of Angry birds dies, it’ll always be close to my heart! I throughly recommend picking the effect up and doing something a little bit different with your magic. As far as sponge effects go, its defiantly my favorite!

If they ever decide to produce more, GET ONE!

http://www.magicgeek.com/mad-sponges-set-2275.html

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
I have this and just holding out the sponges for the routine gets an immediate reaction as the game is just so topical. I'm happy with my set and am glad that it's sold out.

SPM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Angry Bird Sponges from Magic Geek (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL