We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pouches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
What Solrak29 and Bobby Maverick are spot on. When you are busking you become your own business owner and your own boss. You get to decide when and where you want to work. You get to make the calls on how to run your business. From a business stand point you need to decide in what are you going to invest in. Do you want to just put all the money you make in your pocket and spend it on beer and pizza? or are you going invest in your show?

This is what I have done so far: I started C&B with a cheap set of aluminum cups, the worlds cheapest table and I used a fanny pack to hold my tennis ball sized final loads in. Over time I have finally saved up the money and upgraded to a set of Paul Fox cups and I am using oranges for final loads. Last weekend a friend loaned his workshop to me and I built a proper tabletop using the directions Mario Morris posted. It has taken a while but I have upgraded over time investing in myself to make my show better. My aluminum cups did me well but they haven't been holding up over time. My Paul Fox cups are much sturdier and were well worth the money I spent on them. Also the fanny pack I use as a "pouch" works ok but at the end of the day is still a fanny pack. And it's in all reality a bit to small for me to be using. Being green behind the ear is tough. Especially since I have run into my tools not working right. I fully understand when Bobby talks about stuff falling apart in your show. That cheap table I was talking about...yeah...I ended up with a couple of holes in it during my finale. Thank goodness C&B was not my closer that day.
I believe the new buskers Need to stick through it save that money and upgrade your tools when you can. As your show and showmanship improves save your money and upgrade your tools. Now personally cannot make up my mind if I am going to invest in next a pouch or if it's going to my travel funds for making one of Mario's Classes. But one thing is for sure I am going to invest in improving my show and making myself better every chance I can get.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Dmoses I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Was working with a cheap bag stapled to my tray stand and ceramic pots since my aluminum ones didn't do the job. The bag ripped off eventually and my pots broke. Had to carry extras and I found my copper penguins wich I think are great durabale and heavy. Perhaps I will get others one day but they do the job plenty. My pouch may not be a Gazzo but is very durable anyway and doesn't need to be a monster size like his. My table is very sturdy and only cost me about $50. So Bobert I am upgrading where I can. I have my props and just performing where I can and gradually going through the books. It's all about baby steps.
Jeremy Gates
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2011-06-14 23:48, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Dmoses I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Was working with a cheap bag stapled to my tray stand and ceramic pots since my aluminum ones didn't do the job. The bag ripped off eventually and my pots broke. Had to carry extras and I found my copper penguins wich I think are great durabale and heavy. Perhaps I will get others one day but they do the job plenty. My pouch may not be a Gazzo but is very durable anyway and doesn't need to be a monster size like his. My table is very sturdy and only cost me about $50. So Bobert I am upgrading where I can. I have my props and just performing where I can and gradually going through the books. It's all about baby steps.

If the Penguin cups are working for you then that's what's important. I use Tom Franks' Phoenix cups & they're "super-tough!" I DO NOT use a pouch, as I am NOT a Gazzo or Cellini clone, although I enjoy watching them on DVD tremendously! I did learn a cool way to put a large load into a hat via Kieth Fields and may use that, I'm not sure yet. Kozmo uses a very large Servante that he had made for him by The Ambitious Card. I'm not a "Koz-clone" either. The way I see it a performer needs to be as original as he can, that would include what he does & uses for C. & B.. Bill Malone uses the little plastic cups that come in any kid's magic set and KILLS! At the end of the day it's all about personal preference.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Personally, I find it ironic that in a business dedicated to individuality there is such a call for everyone to use the same props in the same way.

If you want the big heavy expensive cups, then buy them. If you don't, then don't. But never say that you need them to be professional, because that's a lie. A true professional can make the same money as Gazzo, Koz, or Bobby using Dixie Cups and paper balls. Think about someone like Charlie Frye before you say I'm nuts.

And before anyone asks -- I do have the most expensive props you can buy, all except for a Gazzo pouch (got the Starsini buskers pouch.) It's just that I don't feel I need them. I manipulate my props, they don't manipulate me.

YMMV.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 15:34, HerbLarry wrote:
Quote:
(since my routine doesn't require it!)

Heretic!

I don't understand! All I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!

...and, thank you Chance!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Just had another thought perhaps you could take a heavy duity bag like I did for my servante. Sew on some belt loops cutting off the handles and wallah you have a small pouch.
Jeremy Gates
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2128 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2011-06-08 23:17, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
I noticed guys with big bags at their sides containing their balls.

MUST.. Smile .....RESIST... Smile ....JOKE.. Smile ...REFLEX!!!!!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2128 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Call me a skeptic, but regarding, uh..."Gazzo" back there on the first page, shouldn't he be a v.i.p? Not a regular user?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

At least I bought a pouch rather than an alternative. Plus a laymen gave me their idea of using a small duffle bag as a pouch. Not kiddding either, now that's dumb.
Jeremy Gates
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
This thread contains some wonderful points about pouches.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
As well as balls and hubris. Okay, more hubris than balls.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I don't wear a pouch and I do Cups and Balls. I don't have a Kozmo Servante either. I use Tom Frank Cups and monkey fist balls I bought from Monkey Nutz. I made a servante. It was a waiters apron. I folded it half and sewed/glued it together. It has a large pocket for the loads, 4 lemons and a melon. It has two small pockets too and I use those for other props. I made my own table top and set it on an aluminium keyboard stand.

I have thought about a pouch but I don't want one. When I do my show I am never behind the table unless I am doing cups and balls. The entire rest of the show I am out working with the audience. See, before I went out to the street to work I had only seen a few videos of guys busking. I had no idea people worked out of a pouch. It seemed weird to me because people today have pockets and thus don't typically wear a pouch. I mean they really made sense a few hundred years ago before pockets became popular but now, and this is just my opinion, they are kind of odd.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
I mean they really made sense a few hundred years ago before pockets became popular but now, and this is just my opinion, they are kind of odd.

If you aren't comfortable it shows and things don't go well.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-29 14:12, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:
I mean they really made sense a few hundred years ago before pockets became popular but now, and this is just my opinion, they are kind of odd.

If you aren't comfortable it shows and things don't go well.

That is a very important and much overlooked point. I believe that people should certainly use what makes them comfortable. Of course practice with a prop will make you comfortable with it.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I used to dispute using certain things. Questioning things because they didn't look nomal. If you know what you are doing perform and connect no one will think about what is normal. Most people just want to be entertained. Otherwise they are too buisy trying to figure you out than to worry about how silly your props are. Even our cups look silly after all they are really out dated. No one uses metal or wood cups in this day in age and certainly not in the shapes magicians use. Our balls are not even common nor are many things.
Jeremy Gates
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
I want to be a ninja clone!!!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Tommy Wonder says that great magic is created by paying attention to the little details. He was talking about tension in the performer and how it makes the show less magical. Do you think that if a performer being tense can make magic less magical that a massive, weird, pouch, that could hold a 12 month kangaroo, hanging from your waist isn't making your show look less magical then you are deluding yourself. I am not saying that you won't be successful or make plenty of money but the guy who runs a pyramid scheme makes plenty of money and is successful too, but when everyone looks back at how they got screwed it isn't very magical.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Let's say you're looking to buy a table saw and settle on one that costs $70.00 instead of $100. You start using your $70.00 saw and run into problems because it didn't come with a rip fence. This causes your set up and work time to increase tenfold when for an extra $30.00 you could have completed 10 projects in the time it now takes you to do one. So, you save and eventually buy the $100 table saw. In essence you wasted a great deal of time and money trying to save $30.00. And in the end you spent $170.00 on a table saw when you could have just spent $100 in the first place.

There's sage advice in "Always buy the best equipment that you can afford."

However, what YOU can afford is different for everyone. Some can afford a hand laced Gazzo pouch. Other's will settle for the stitched version. Other's can't even dream of touching a Gazzo pouch much less owning one. So you have to find alternatives. Otherwise, are you holding to the notion that if you can't afford the best, you shouldn't be performing?

I've seen street mobs run the shell game on the streets of nyc using bottle caps and a piece of foam rubber. Should they be using gold plated walnut shells and the latest super grippy latex pea? I don't think so. It's cuts into their profit margin.

When looking to obtain equipment, you have to go with what works for you. So keep looking and keep posting on what you find out there because you may be helping someone else out that is looking as well.

EVILDAN.

PS: I own 2 Gazzo pouches (stitched), 2 sets of Gary Animal Gazzo Cups, 3 different Ambitious Card pouches, various chop cups - and use them all in different situations.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pouches (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL