The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Weird Kids (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
It is interesting to note that it the first five years of performing I NEVER had a child who I was told was autistic. Now I get at least one a month.

I think the point that Chrystal makes about the 'norm' is an important one.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think Chrsytal touch on something very imoportant here. That people really do watch and they are very much in tuned with how you as a performer handle situations. Of course they want to see a good performance but they also want to see that you are human as well and can hadle situations as a professional would. How you conduct yourself really does make an impact and is important to your clients.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
I love weird kids who don't make sense! They're much more interesting than most adults.

To be honest, when I do a children's show, I 'm probably more entertained by them than they are by me.

I go into it with the only expectation that everyone, including myself, is going to have fun. And as long as we have fun, nothing can go wrong. Sure, there's the occasional "challenge," but I just work with it.

I enjoy the unknown of performing for children. Every show is different.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Here in Asia it's very important to adults how kids are treated. If you show special consideration to "special" kids it really does enhance everything. After doing weekly shows in a major hospital here for over 2 years, I really feel it's to my advantage to treat all kids special during my shows.
However, I do feel that the kids who are just obnoxious can't be allowed to ruin the experience for others. I don't put up with it myself. For me it's just a matter or knowing which is the right thing to do at the time it's all happening.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Just got a phone call for a show with 12 autistic kids aged 4.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Crystal is right. A pro should be able to handle any audience skillfully. I often find special needs children are a great addition to the show.

For example, I sometimes invite a mildly Downs Syndrome child onstage without realizing his or her condition until they are onstage. I'm just drawn to their open, honest expressions, and just treat them with as much compassion as I would any child.

Everything works out fine. In fact, they invariably win the hearts of the audience quickly, and it adds so much magic to the show I might have missed otherwise.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I was doing a walkaround show in the park in June (following a Church service). I entertained all the adults and children throughout a two-hour period (including one Priest who kept bribing me with bottles of wine if I would only tell him how I made that little red hanky disappear in my bare hands!)

Halfway into my show, I saw this new family that had a child (about 10 years old) in a wheelchair. I wasn't sure whether or not to approach them, as I wasn't sure what the child's condition was (and I didn't want to embarrass him, the parents, or myself!). I went over anyway, did a couple small things for him, and you should have seen his face light up!

Folks, for the next hour, I had my very own groupie! He followed me everywhere in that wheelchair, and I loved it. His parents really thanked me, and to be honest, I felt like thanking them for the honor of entertaining such a wonderful child. It really was a privilege.

Brian
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<<<<<<<Halfway into my show, I saw this new family that had a child (about 10 years old) in a wheelchair. I wasn't sure whether or not to approach them, >>>>>>>>

You should approach them and treat him & them excactly the same as everyone else. no different. That's what they want, to be treated the same as the other kids and not for people to walk on eggs or avoid them.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Brian,

I liked your comment, "..it really was a privilege."

Isn't that what it's all about.

We are very lucky to be able to do something we love AND get paid for it!

Everytime we perform we should remember that we could not create our magic, without their magic.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sometimes I give them a warning if he/she speaks again, he/she will have to sit in the back because of the disburance on the other kids. Sometimes they would still talk. When I send him/her to the back, it keeps them quiet.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2003-08-28 06:29, Dynamike wrote:
Sometimes I give them a warning if he/she speaks again, he/she will have to sit in the back because of the disburance on the other kids. Sometimes they would still talk. When I send him/her to the back, it keeps them quiet.

What do you do if they refuse to go to the back? If there's no parents present to help, it would seem like you've come up against a stone wall.

Brian
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Some things never alter, and The Magic Café Children's Section is as 'lively' as ever. Like your comment Wolfgang from Texas! See 'ya again in another 3 months guys! Hope you are all doing ok, our September looks like the best one for years.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Aceparties,

I like Wolfgang's comment too. Ace, your contribution will be missed and great news about Sept being your busiest! Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
My original post was no so much about annoying or rude children or children with special needs so much as it was about kids who are unpredictable and unusual with their heckle.

I expect ALL children to yell out during my show but every now again a child will yell out something that makes NO sense to me!!!
ALASKA MAGIC
View Profile
New user
Fairbanks, Alaska
23 Posts

Profile of ALASKA MAGIC
About a year ago, I was performing at a pretty large indoor event and it really was the ideal setting for a show. At one point early in the show a little boy in one of the front rows sticks his arm high in the air and says "Magic lady, magic lady, I farted." The place went silent. Everyone was waiting for a response from me.......
I never forgot that cute little boy. I just thanked him for letting me know and continued the show. I did have to chuckel.
BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
When this happens to me, I either ignore it or look at him like he is crazy - and may say as much. They get the attention they need, and the show goes on.

I DON'T think these kids are autistic. My son is autistic, and so I am around a lot of other autistic kids. The spectrum is pretty wide, they often don't understand the social aspects of life, but I don't hear them saying things that make no sense like described. Now if a child has a complete melt down over what seems like pretty much nothing - then they may be autistic.

I think these are just normal kids, maybe a bit hyper or attention needy. Since that describes a lot of us, who knows, maybe he will be the next big name magician?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I some times say "Thanks for sharing" for odd remarks.
richards
View Profile
New user
Brian Richards
82 Posts

Profile of richards
Kids are kids...

Earlier in the thread and, like several years ago, someone mentioned a child pointing out the obvious (the bottle cap being on the bottle). I laughed, because this is so common. One of things that I've noticed is that, when you have too many routines where the kids see something before you do, they then begin to point out things that you already know about (Your shadow is on your table, you have a wand in your hand, etc...) It is so tempting to say, "thanks for noticing Sherlock!" But that probably wouldn't be received well. So I laugh and say, "you're right! How strange!" and move on...

I too have had many children fart in the audience and...well...that is great comedy. I love to say, "Buddy...I needed 5 more minutes of material and you just gave it to me! Thank you!" I think a fart once gave me close to 10 minutes of laughter. They fart and I still get paid. God bless America!

Brian Richards
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
I did a show last week and one kid kept wandering and making noise. . .So I politely said "If you wanna watch the magic show, you have to sit down" and he looked at me buggy eyed and sincerly replied "BUT I CAN'T SIT DOWN"

I wanted to laugh because this was clearly a case of ADHD, but instead I Used Silly Billy's tip on making him a "helper" and had him hold a prop for me for a couple minutes during a routine.

IT seemed to work, after he got the attention, things calmed down a bit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Weird Kids (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL