We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Corporate training seminars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Are there any resources for putting together corporate training days using magic or mentalism?

Thanks
Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
My suggestion would be to pick a topic, research that topic, develop a presentation, then (and only then) add some magic or mentalism to lighten it up. The corporate trainer must transfer knowledge first and foremost (any entertainment value is just a bonus and nothing more). So, think of yourself as a trainer and develop your program as such.

Thus, the resources you are looking for are in the training and speaking industry.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Corporate Training is a career. It takes years of theoretical and practical education and experience to master. Trainers must also be experts on not only training techniques, but as familiar as possible with the topics they are assigned to facilitate. Many are proficient at only a few topics that they are then qualified to train in. This is as much a skilled profession as magic.

A successful career in magic also implies a high level of competency, years of experience, and a style, with a charismatic personality to draw in their audiences. This, when approached as both an art-form and a craft, requires a great deal of hands on professional experience too.

It is difficult to be hired as a well paid professional magician, as it is at least equally difficult to be hired as a seasoned trainer. A combination of the two, while feasible, is a rough hill to climb.

Another crucial factor is to seamlessly and logically blend the magic with the training topic. Not superficially-- but in a meaningful, educational and relevant way.

Today all such endeavors must also yield a hefty ROI for the client or employer. Corporations cut back on their training departments and entertainment budgets very fast when financial push comes to shove.

To build the credentials to become a magical-trainer, and one that can actually prove the value of their service in the long run, is a time consuming and daunting task. There are dozens of easier ways to make good money with magic.

If you do possess all these qualities, and you are persistent, in time you’ll be successful in this niche, but that’s a rare combination. I know from extensive experience in both fields.

And I know this will not be a popular answer, but it is frank and honest. Sure there are tons of books out there that will “teach you how to become a successful corporate training-magician” however I doubt even one reader has done that from advice in those books.

My two-cents,
Walt
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9976 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
These type of training events are not at all about the magic, but rather the message, theme or concept. The magic or mentalism is just a means of presenting, demonstrating or reinforcing the key message. This is something that many performers don't seem to understand as they mistakenly think they can simply add a pseudo-message or "motivational" angle to their existing show or favorite effects.

This is really a skill in an of itself, and most secrets are not easily available to the masses.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I appreciate the advice from everyone and I mean that sincerely.

I would still greatly appreciate some recommendations for useful resources though.

Thanks.
Click here
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Simon,

I'm writing (albiet quite slowly) a complete overview of one of the corporate seminars I do.
Full Day or Half Day. I wouldn't hold your breath though, it's a big project : )

Timothy

P.S the advice you have been given by the other contributors so far is spot on.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Steve Hart had a seminar a few years ago. He might still have the DVD set available. I attended and it was really good. He's blogging on the topic at:
http://magic2motivate.blogspot.com/ or http://www.magic2motivate.com/ - they might help.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks guys!

Timothy, very much looking forward to your work. A full day seminar is exactly the thing I am interested in!

Pizpor, I know have Steve Hart but haven't looked into his stuff. I will take a looksy.

Thanks again.
Simon
Click here
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

I think that the gist of most of our suggestions, was that this is not a career that can be learned from any book or program, but rather in the school of hard knocks, over a substantial period of time, and with a very specific skill set. Yes, you say thank you for the input, but are still seeking shortcut resources such as books, programs, or DVD's which makes me suspect you got the idea of what everyone was saying but not the point. My thoughts anyway, Walt
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Walt,

You are making far too many assumptions! You do not know me or my market at all!
Click here
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Walt and Mindpro are spot on with their advice and observations.

Many mentalists & magicians tend to presume that they are qualified to deliver a corporate development program. I have met few who have a significant business background that would legitimately qualify them to present anything of value to a corporate audience. You cannot teach that which you do not know.

Entertaining corporate audiences with straight magic or mentalism, is a completely different issue

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
As someone who does full day training programs, here are a few suggestions to get you started:

Join the American Society for Training & Development (www.astd.org)
Go to your local ASTD chapter meetings and meet other trainers
Attend the ASTD national convention and learn about the training & development field
Buy every book you can find on training and study adult learning techniques; Start with Bob Pike's book, Creative Training Techniques
Decide on a topic, something you have experience in, research it thoroughly and become an expert.
Develop your curriculum and support materials.
Break in your training material at industry conferences as a concurrent session, usually unpaid.
Polish your material and keep adding cutting edge information.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Jim,

Thank you very much!

Best,
Simon
Click here
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2011-06-14 08:07, Jim Snack wrote:
As someone who does full day training programs, here are a few suggestions to get you started:

Join the American Society for Training & Development (www.astd.org)
Go to your local ASTD chapter meetings and meet other trainers
Attend the ASTD national convention and learn about the training & development field
Buy every book you can find on training and study adult learning techniques; Start with Bob Pike's book, Creative Training Techniques
Decide on a topic, something you have experience in, research it thoroughly and become an expert.
Develop your curriculum and support materials.
Break in your training material at industry conferences as a concurrent session, usually unpaid.
Polish your material and keep adding cutting edge information.

Jim

Ah, great advice from a man with experience.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Jim,

If you’re going to go into training at what point do you purchase the whip and chair?
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

As soon as possible....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22516 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have been exposed to magic being used in Corporate Training and have known several magicians who participated in sessions of this nature. There may be a misunderstanding to the question. My experience is that a magician's purpose in being hired to such events is not to be a trainer, but to re-enforce the 'topic' of the event to the audience. It is akin to corporate/industrial trade show presentations. The magician presents his magic with a specific message.

He is not a trainer as such, as Corporate companies will not hire outside trainers when they have an inside training department. They usually buy training packages and the individual or individuals appointed as the trainer teaches the material.

After all when a large company is paying huge salaries to their training staff, hiring an outside trainer would put his job in jeopardy.

Magicians I have known that does this sort of training day magic are Dick Stoner and Paul Gertner. There is no specific training material for such a job as this. It is a matter of asking what the buyer wants and then designing your magic tricks around conveying that message or messages to the attendees.

Having personally met many of the corporate trainers in the corporations in my area of the country, I can say most, if not all of them were promoted into the position from other areas of the company. I did not meet any that chose this career as a vocation before obtaining the position.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-06-26 11:45, Howie Diddot wrote:
Jim,
If you’re going to go into training at what point do you purchase the whip and chair?

Quote:
On 2011-06-26 12:39, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
As soon as possible....

Walt;

Is there a special training or coaching seminar available from the most lovable magician in San Francisco that will fully instruct a person on the care and use of the chair and whip; Walt, I think in San Francisco you can sell this program with great success
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
249 Posts

Profile of terrillific
I’m a corporate training consultant and have facilitated hundreds of training programs in a variety of different industries. I often use various experiential exercises and simulations to enhance the learning process. They always tie into the point the curriculum wants to reinforce. Most training programs work because the curriculum is well designed using either ADDIE model. (Analyze, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluate) or some other Adult learning methodology. Using magic can be a tool for a training program as long as it supports the material in the program. These are a couple examples I’ve used in the past. Professor’s Nightmare to introduce the concept of status in teams. I’ve done some mind reading effects to illustrate what happens we try to mind read people we work with instead of communicating with them. Magic is just a toolbox for trainers to use.

Good Corporate trainers can make a good living. You can either be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) or become a highly competent trainer on variety of different topics. ASTD and the National Speakers Associations are good resources. ASTD even has a trainer certification program that is becoming the industry norm like having a Masters.

For creating and delivering high impact interactive material check out http://www.thiagi.com Thiagi is one of my favorite trainers/Facilitators because he incorporates many different methods of training to engage and audience. I’ve spent a whole week with him and it was a profound learning experience for me. He also loves and uses magic in his programs. I saw him do Out of This World once to talk about how people should trust their instincts more. He has a great monthly newsletter that showcases different training exercises trainers can use. You can’t go wrong studying Thiagi. If you meet him show him a trick. He believes that magic is truly the best interactive one on one art form.

If you need more advice on a training career or just want to kick around ideas on the kind of magic to use in training, PM me. I’m always looking to share ideas on what kind of magic to use.

Warmly,
Terrill…ific!
http://www.inthemoment.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Whoo Hoo... am I glad that YOU join us!

Awesome! - WELCOME!

Hope that serves…

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Servin’ Up The Good Stuff!) In Reno
<><

PS
If you haven't yet... make SURE you grab your "Cool Free Stuff" from my "Success eMinder" site NOW! Killer Free Graphics! Totally Cool Video Skin and Player! !@#$%en Pro Web Template and Editor! Uber-Cool Free Video FX Loops, AND some killer success content!

Go To: http://www.SuccessEminder.com and grab yo' stuff Now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable! - Transform Your Dreams Into Dollars Doing What You LOVE! - Delivering Difference-Defining Results In Your Life and The Lives of Others With Proven Systems For Powerful, Profit Producing Success Solutions… Guaranteed!”

Grab Your FREE Gifts, Tools, Downloads & Success Support: http://www.SuccessEminder.com

=> Celebrate L.O.V.E. & H.O.P.E!
Life Of Vibrant Expression, Helping Other People Everyday!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Corporate training seminars (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL