The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Can magicians turn around popular opinion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Statistically, a majority of women dislike magic shows. Unfortunately, quite a large percentage of talent bookers are -wait for it- women. Hmmm. Thoughts on how we can all ameliorate this dilemma.

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Drew Murray
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Drew Murray
I have found it interesting that 95% of my shows are booked through a women. Probably because they are better at details and organizing events. When men call me for a show, they seem very confused as what to do. Not all but most. Additionally, men are usually the ones who come up after a show and thank me or compliment me. Probably part because women are runig around doing other things for the event.

Kinda funny how that all works
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
You are correct in that most of our buyers (or at the very least are heavy influencer in the decision making process!) are women.

The super-simple idea, as I have experienced it anyway, is that what we offer is LESS about selling ‘magic’ (like it or not, regardless of the perception) and sharing the solution, outcome, result… etc, (The thing THEY want most) and more-over (wait-for-it…) establishing, maintaining and advancing the RELATIONSHIP Delivering Real RESULTS.

Seldom is the desired solution and outcome magic tricks anyway, so truthfully, this is more about the connection, the service, the results and the bottom line outcome. (which is what ever your relationship thinks is the most important thing…)

Hope that serves you…

I am at Your Service and In HIS Service,
Deano (Serving You & Your Success!) In Reno
<><

“Helping You Transform Your Dreams Into Dollars Doing What You LOVE. – Delivering Difference-Defining Results In Your Life and The Lives of Others With Proven Systems For Powerful, Profit Producing Success Solutions… Guaranteed!”
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Quote:
Thoughts on how we can all ameliorate this dilemma.

First thing? We stop using words like ameliorate.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Or... perhaps use words like ameliorate a lot more?
At least for the level of clients I have to deal with...
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I don't know if I'm alone in this thinking, but if I've got to use words like ameliorate....I'm not sure I want to work for those clients. The clients I perform for generally just say "make it better". Everyone knows what that means. Just my opinion...your mileage may vary. Destination charges and dealer fees may be extra. Don't take if you are taking an MAOI Inhibitor or have had bloody stools in the past 8 weeks. Other fees and charges may apply. 18% gratuity added to parties of 8 or more. Reservations are suggested and a dress code is in effect. Employees must wash hands before returning to work. Please, no sharing. Do not pick up hitch-hikers. No glove - no love. etc; etc; etc;
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Quote:
On 2011-06-09 13:18, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Statistically, a majority of women dislike magic shows.
Magically,
Walt

Statistically speaking, 94.6% of all statistics are randomly made up, simply to support the speakers claim.

If a majority of women truly dislike magic shows, then it only seems logical that.....sorry.......I've got nothing. That just doesn't sound like a statistic that can be backed up with double blind scientific study results. I'd be happy, however, to take a look at such a study if anyone could point me to such study results and interpretation.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Yeah, the "statistic" is questionable at best, but the idea behind the question is interesting. What can magicians do to make their show more appealing to women?
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
...void where prohibited by law, must be 21 years old to enter, batteries not included, order before midnight last night and you'll also get a set of Ginsue Knives that cut through butter as-if it was margarine... hehehehe! Al, you crack me up bud!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I second what Gordon said too... sorry for the temporary distraction.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never seen that statistic spouted by anyone but magicians. I have never experienced it.

I tell you I have had people who had a bad experience with a magic show and didn't much like the idea of seeing one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I think to some degree it boils down to what you are
trying to sell - the solution I offer involves "magic"
but it's a whole lot more than just that. There's
laughter, audience participation, shared excitement,
ease-of-use, no-risk, primo customer service, etc.

And yeah, I'll do some tricks too.

The real key seems to me to boil down to the BEST
question I ever learned at Microsoft: "What problem
are we trying to solve?"

That is the best question ever to ask and you need
to ask it every time the opportunity presents itself.

Finding out exactly which problem your prospect is
trying to solve gives you so much more context in
how it is you frame the solution you have to offer.
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3751 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
IF you are trying to sell "a magic show" or a "mentalism show" -- you're dead in the water, except for the bottom-feeding price punching client. What I mean is: if all you offer is a "show" -- then the ONLY two decisions your client is left with is:

1) Do I WANT a magic show? and

2) How cheap can I get it?

If you make yourself the brand -- and sell the unique thing about YOU -- then YOU are the product.

I think a number of performers assume it's about the effect. (More tigers, vanishing bigger and bigger things.) From my admittedly narrow perspective, it's really about what I do while I am on the way to getting to the effect -- and the effect is the crowning moment of the journey.

Women and men who plan events both respond to this in my experience.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
MikeHolbrook
View Profile
Regular user
USA, Angier, NC
112 Posts

Profile of MikeHolbrook
After 34 years of marriage my experience shows that magic involving credit cards and shoes would impress most women.

Mike
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Jack, David... BRILLIANT!

I especially like:
Quote:
DAVID: - "I think a number of performers assume it's about the effect. (More tigers, vanishing bigger and bigger things.) From my admittedly narrow perspective, it's really about what I do while I am on the way to getting to the effect -- and the effect is the crowning moment of the journey."

THANK YOU!
-- D

charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1957 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
The original post raises an important point. While one could argue about the choice of the word "dislike" when refering to womens perception of magic shows, in general it is obvious that women on the whole are far less intrigued by magic. That is why well over 90% of the discussion on this site is by men and most magicians are men. So when we create our shows perhaps more attention to the entertainment component is preferable to the manipulation/skill component provides a broader appreciation of our shows. The quality of the magical product has to remain strong however or we risk loosing the portuion of our audience that is focusing on mainly the trick itself. This is no different than the superbowl being played at a high level on the field, but still needing high end halftime entertainment and creative commercials to appeal to a wider audience that is not all caught up in the X's and O's on the field.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Can magicians turn around popular opinion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL