The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gas prices (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Danny, perhaps you can articulate our differences and the talk can continue.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
If oil was left entirely to the free market, gas would drop due to lack of taxes, but oil would go up without all the "*subsidizing."

The market probably would have lead to a complete turn away from oil years ago, rather than the constant playing both sides the govt does now, helping oil companies, but constantly giving lip service to alternatives.

*Not quite traditional direct subsidizing, but there is SO much done to help oil companies.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-12 08:30, Dannydoyle wrote:

If it is the free market why is everyones price exactly the same?

If we are talking about the price of oil, it actually isn't.

There are several different types of oil trading on the market, and they have different characteristics and prices (e.g., Brent Crude, Dubai Crude, West Texas Intermediate, etc.).

And the quoted price you hear in the news for any particular type of oil is not necessarily the price that any purchaser of the oil actually pays.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
"If we are talking about the price of oil, it actually isn't."

All exactly the same price, I mean.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
The head of gm said he would like the taxes on gas raised by $1, so that people would be FORCED into smaller cars. I will NEVER by a new gm product.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2011-06-11 13:25, Woland wrote:
It's an issue because (1)historically the President's approval rating is correlated to the price of a gallon of gasoline and because (2) the public perceives that the policies of the federal government can influence gasoline prices.

The public is correct.

The current fiscal policy of the Oministration is to print and borrow as much money as possible.

This devalues the American dollar.

A weak dollar drives investors to buy commodities like oil and gold.

More people want to buy oil means higher prices.

And where did the price spike start? With the Oministration.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Actually, the price started rising with the Bush administration. I'm not placing blame on him or any U.S. president, but it started with Katrina. After Katrina gas rose to above $2 a gallon and in some places as high as $5. Post Katrina gas dipped below the $2 once only.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

My last graph was a little small. Here is the post I tried to replace it with (but Dreadnought was too fast, so the window closed).

The following graph gives world oil prices from 1947-2009.

It comes from WTRG Economics

And I really don't know anything about this organization, so if any of you do, I'd be curious to hear.

John
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Sorry about that. Mia culpa.
Peace

Scott

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It isn't only gasoline prices we have to worry about.

Here's one promise kept (video here):

Quote:
You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know — Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I’m capping greenhouse gases, coal power plants, you know, natural gas, you name it — whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, uh, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.

They — you — you can already see what the arguments will be during the general election. People will say, “Ah, Obama and Al Gore, these folks, they’re going to destroy the economy, this is going to cost us eight trillion dollars,” or whatever their number is. Um, if you can’t persuade the American people that yes, there is going to be some increase in electricity rates on the front end, but that over the long term, because of combinations of more efficient energy usage, changing lightbulbs and more efficient appliance, but also technology improving how we can produce clean energy, the economy would benefit.

And the results, according to the Chicago Tribune:

Quote:
Consumers could see their electricity bills jump an estimated 40 to 60 percent in the next few years.

The reason: Pending environmental regulations will make coal-fired generating plants, which produce about half the nation's electricity, more expensive to operate. Many are expected to be shuttered.

No problem if you think that crippling America is not a bug but a feature.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2011-06-12 14:49, Dreadnought wrote:
Actually, the price started rising with the Bush administration. I'm not placing blame on him or any U.S. president, but it started with Katrina. After Katrina gas rose to above $2 a gallon and in some places as high as $5. Post Katrina gas dipped below the $2 once only.

Fair enough. But in your example Bush had little control over an environmental disaster that forced the closing of much of the oil drilling in the Gulf.

Certainly Bush's spending and disruption caused by wars in the middle east contributed to the price of oil. But to stick the Bush administration with gas prices post-Katrina is disingenuous.

However, one can directly trace the out of control spending by Barack Obama and Ben Bernanke as a predominant contributing factor to the outrageous oil prices we're currently experiencing.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm just going to skip to the end of this thread:
"Bush!"
"Obama!"
"Bush!"
"Obama!"
"Reagan!"
"Clinton!"
"Bush!"
"Obama!"
"Hitler!"
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think arguement number 14 appllies.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 11:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think arguement number 14 appllies.

Well you are obviously a communist Reagan supporter.
You know why don't act naive.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 10:05, RobertSmith wrote:

Fair enough. But in your example Bush had little control over an environmental disaster that forced the closing of much of the oil drilling in the Gulf.

Certainly Bush's spending and disruption caused by wars in the middle east contributed to the price of oil. But to stick the Bush administration with gas prices post-Katrina is disingenuous.

However, one can directly trace the out of control spending by Barack Obama and Ben Bernanke as a predominant contributing factor to the outrageous oil prices we're currently experiencing.

I can agree with that. I will say that I think the big problem is the greed of the oil companies.
Peace

Scott

HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 14:41, Dreadnought wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 10:05, RobertSmith wrote:

I can agree with that. I will say that I think the big problem is the greed of the oil companies.

Do a little research on the profit per gallon and get back to me.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
And compare profit per gallon to taxes per gallon . . . .
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
By the way, the only time gas prices have been higher in recent history is 7/21/2008.
http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx
Who was president then? Oh yeah...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 18:19, EsnRedshirt wrote:
By the way, the only time gas prices have been higher in recent history is 7/21/2008.
http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx
Who was president then? Oh yeah...

:rolleyes:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Gas prices (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL