The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Steel Ball and Tube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blackelhoff
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of blackelhoff
I am a complete beginner to magic.
I just bought the steel ball and tube, and am having trouble with steeling the gimmick.
I want to end up clean so that I can hand out the ball and tube, but there is always a noise when I steal the gimmick.
Any advice?
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Like you, this was one of a dozen of my first purchases and could NEVER get it to work right until someone filled me in on something very valuable. This is one of those tricks that's 10% technique, 90% presentation.

Your eyes are THE key to this effect going smoothly. ALWAYS remember that the audience will look where you look(for at least a split second). So, with that said, don't concentrate on the "hot" hand.

What I have done is to let the spectator take the outer tube and ball out of your semi-cupped hand, with the inner tube simply remaining in place and falling into finger palm position.

You could always just buy one of the locking models from Viking and not worry about ditching the gimmick.

All the best,

Dave
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
I have a model that in order to release the inner tube you must turn it clockwise to release it. It is the opposite of the normal process of unscrewing something. This makes it very hard for someone to detect even accidentally. The spectators should never even suspect this if it is performed correctly.
As for the noise you could try rubbing candle wax along the shaft of the inner tube as this will help mask the "talking" when you need to ditch it.
Crippen
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
79 Posts

Profile of Crippen
Docc Hilford has a nice handling (and incredible routine/performance) in his Ball & Tube booklet.

-Crippen
blackelhoff
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of blackelhoff
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Does the Docc Hilford booklet have much material that isn't covered in the Magic-Ian booklet? I have that one, and think it's pretty good.
Crippen
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
79 Posts

Profile of Crippen
Blackelhoff,

I don't have the Magic-Ian booklet, so I can't answer your question directly. The Hilford booklet describes the basic move and a very effective way to steal the gimmick. Those two descriptions are probably 10% of the booklet. The rest of the content of the booklet is related to audience management, trance states, mentalism and suggestions. That said, the technical advice on the steal is great, even if you're not interested in Docc's style of performance.

-Crippen
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I would also recommend the falkenstein handling. I have always loved this trick and use it as a running gag. I found it easiest to just hold the outer tube, and dump the tube and ball into the other hand to give out. No stealing. The tube and ball together will slide straight through the outer tube and into your hand. Simple, and works for me everytime.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Blackelhoff,

Write me at paul@mindguy.com and I'll send you the "stea" which is in my book "Can you keep a secret?". I use it in my lecture for magicians and have never failed to get many back to using the effect. It is a very effective trick that applies to magic and/or mentalism.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
MagicMaker
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MagicMaker
I used to have this trick, actually I used to own lots of cool tricks but they all vanished...shame shame! I wish I kept better tabs on my effects. I just seem to lose them after a while Smile

Anyways the way I did the steal was to wave my hand in front of the ball and tube and simply slip it off while I wave my hand in front of it by using my thumb and the other fingers. It's good misdirection because as you wave the ball mysteriously goes into the tube, as it comes back up to it's original finish just steal the tube and immediately hand the tube out and drop your other hand down to your side. As they examine the ball and tube place both hands into your pocket and just watch them as they examine it.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I really hope that this does not sound as bad as I am sure it will however, I sinderely hope that it looked better than the way it read to me as it sounds as if it really was not as effective as you might have thought. One is being burned at the crutial time of the steal and it is imperative that it look natural. The way you described it sounds convoluted.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
blackelhoff -
The booklet you mentioned, "Magic with a Steel Ball and Tube," is a good one.

You'll note that the book includes some other tricks that require purchasing a second ball & tube set. As such, you may want to stick with the older "slip" style steel ball and tube for now and forego buying the newer locking style.

Welcome to magic!
blackelhoff
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of blackelhoff
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I have been able to greatly improve my handling of the steal, and look forward to practicing over and over again until it is really smooth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Steel Ball and Tube (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL