The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for this Open Prediction... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Hello!

I love the Open Prediction plot, and even kind of prefer “hands on” version (as long as it look clean).

I really enjoy this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thOwOoCu0ys.
Different from Malone version since the pack is squared before the spread!
Also it is spread face down so don't care about the adjacent card... and I think it looks very clean.
But I have no idea if it can done with a borrowed deck, I greatly hope so. :-/

Anybody know where I can learn it ?
(I hope I am in the right forum section)

Thanks !
Nicolas
IllusionsMichael
View Profile
Loyal user
The name's Donnie. I know... bad username choice..
250 Posts

Profile of IllusionsMichael
Beautiful trick! I think I know the method, but if I'm right then it would not work with a borrowed deck. I think it uses one gaffed card and another helpful utility.
Michael Bluth: "So this is the magic trick, huh?"

Gob: "Illusion, Michael. Tricks are something a **** does for money."
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of Tom G
You might want to check Tom Baxter's Open Prediction Project. Many styles of OP's by a number of
contributors.
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Papawemba - I believe this is Gary Ouellet's handling of the (R&S) Proton Deck plus a DF card.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of papawemba
He he many thanks for your answer!
Yes I already have the Open prediction project but unfortunately didn't find anything that work for me :-/
My favorite for now is Joshua Jay, but forgot the source for now...(DVD volume 1 Smile Impromptu and the card never leave sight!

Mmm I also suspect a DS card but cannot figure it out Smile Well it might not be the right section to discuss method. Smile
I am glad you also like it! Thanks edwardsausagefingers, I will check that out.

Nicolas
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Nope, no gaffs, no utility. This is a trick that can be done with a borrowed deck, of course. I must say he did one thing that was bold, but I must admire his technique- it was fabulous.

I'm working on this - hopefully I'll get it down with a few years of practice Smile (I mean that literally). PM me if you want to know how it's done (though I've seen it discussed out in the open, I'd prefer not to).

It's a great application of this technique.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of papawemba
The more I look at the video, the more I think about the proton deck. It finally look obvious :-/
Too bad, I was hoping for a sleight method with borrowed deck !

Hey Kerpa I pmd you, very curious !

Nicolas
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2585 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Nicolas,

I would strongly suggest that you re-read Baxter's Open Prediction Project. There are a number of sleight only handlings that are very convincing. As with everything, all methods are a trade-off. Adding to that, when you read the book the methods tend to blur together. If you sit down in a quiet spot and go through just 2-3 methods per day and really experiment with them you will end up with something that suits your performing style.

If not, you can also check out Ibidem vol. 1 which contains an additional 40+ methods for the Open Prediction. Most of them offered up by Stewart Judah with several added by P. Howard Lyons.

Sadly, after reading the Open Prediction Project, I came up with the most brilliant method for the OP that was based on a combination of methods from the book. Several months later I ran across my "newly invented" method in Ibidem. It was variant #36, if memory serves.

In any event, don't give up on that book too soon. It can be a goldmine if you give it a chance.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
I just won volume 1 of Ibidem today. #36 you say...? I'll have to remember that. Thanks, Steven Smile

Nice video. The guy held up under the host's unsurprising persistence to be a ******.
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-14 16:40, kerpa wrote:
Nope, no gaffs, no utility. This is a trick that can be done with a borrowed deck, of course. I must say he did one thing that was bold, but I must admire his technique- it was fabulous.

I'm working on this - hopefully I'll get it down with a few years of practice Smile (I mean that literally). PM me if you want to know how it's done (though I've seen it discussed out in the open, I'd prefer not to).

It's a great application of this technique.

I don't know how you can state that with certainty, because the handling is exactly (and I mean EXACTLY) as it would be with the Proton deck.
Sure it can be done with a borrowed deck but that is not what we are seeing in the vid, in my opinion.
If you plan to spend years practicing an ungaffed (but absolutely indistinguishable) effect then good luck to you I suppose, I am just intrigued to know how you came the above conclusion. How did you spot the difference?
Can you elaborate on what part of his technique was fabulous (PM if you'd rather) because to me it looks like a rather uninspired, dealer dem of the Proton deck?
cheers.
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
483 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 01:07, Justin W wrote:
...The guy held up under the host's unsurprising persistence to be a ******.

I have to disagree. One of my great annoyances in magic is the “blame the victim” mentality. The spectator gets belittled for his perfectly reasonable response to a performer’s incompetence. I think that’s what you’re unwittingly doing here.

TV hosts are constantly aware of the need to have something interesting happening every second lest the viewer start channel surfing. Therefore, I can appreciate this host’s exasperation at this magician’s insistence on presenting this effect in the most boring manner possible.

If you tell the spectator that he can stop you whenever he wishes, you shouldn’t make it obvious that you’re trying to keep him from stopping you too soon. When the host pointed that out, he was only voicing what everyone at home was thinking.

If you want the spectator to stop you on a facedown card, you should make that clear at the outset. Otherwise, you can’t complain if he asks whether it’s the face-up card or the facedown card that he is supposed to be stopping at.

If you plan to ask the spectator whether he saw the two of diamonds, tell him before you start dealing to watch for the two of diamonds. Don’t just pointlessly and tediously deal through half the deck and then ask whether he saw the two of diamonds. If you do, don’t be surprised if he impatiently answers, “I don’t know if I did.”

That is, in fact, the whole point of The Open Prediction. What makes it potentially a highly suspenseful trick is that the audience is told to watch for the predicted card as the deck is dealt. As you get closer and closer to the bottom, the fact that the card still hasn’t turned up makes people realize that the only explanation is that a miracle has happened; the reversed card must be the predicted card. If you don’t tell the audience to watch for the card as you deal, the dealing process becomes as boring and pointless as in the Twenty-One Card Trick.

Speaking of pointlessness, why waste time ribbonspreading the deck face up to show that the cards are all different when, in a moment, you’re going to deal all the cards face up and everyone will be able to see that they’re all different? You can be sure that throughout that effect, the host was very aware of the time pressure. The seconds were ticking away until he would have to wrap up the segment and go to commercial. The magician was clearly oblivious to any such considerations.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

I am going to grab this rare opportunity to personally offer a huge and heartfelt "Thank you" to Mr Ortiz for "Strong Magic".
Off-topic and out-of-place, some might say.

Too late, it's done!
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Thanks Steven Keyl, you are right, I will read the project once more, looking differently, mixt sleight, etc…
And certainly check the Ibidem vol. 1, 40+ method !!!!!! Wow
The most brilliant method…I need the #36 NOW Smile)

Hey guys I think the spec is funny in the vid, I see it like a 2 man’s show ;-) They even look/sound like to be friend Smile

Nicolas
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Another good effect for Open Prediction is:

Entanglement by Tomamso Guglielmi.

MP
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2585 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
To clarify, when I say "most brilliant method" it is said sarcastically in a self-deprecating way, not in an egotistical sense. I've just rechecked my copy of Ibidem and it is method #34 that I have "rediscovered." Again, no single handling will fit everyone but if you research all of these methods enough you will come up with something that fits you like a glove.

And everyone, please re-read Darwin's post and take it to heart.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
And don't wear suspenders like the guy in the video
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
The effect in the video clip is identical, move for move, to Hector Chadwick's version, "Johnny's Dilemma" from the Open Prediction Project. You cannot perform it with a borrowed deck. Who cares? The deck can be examined with a tiny bit of forethought though there's no need to have them examined.

There are impromptu versions that almost look as good in the book as well. I also like the variants presented on Josh Jay's "Talk About Tricks" DVDs though I can't remember whose they are.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Thanks a lot for the input Mike ! I just read it and you are right it is very similar to "Johnny's Dilemma" !

Concerning the gimmick deck, I guess it all depend on everyone magic style ! Personally I only do card magic when somebody hand me a deck Smile So I am always looking for the best impromptu method AND which can be done with an ooold trash looking deck ;-)
(It is hard to find effective card trick in this condition but fortunately they exist ! Each his quest Smile

But I agree you can have much more effective trick with gimmick deck :-/

Nicolas
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I like when people have rules for choosing effects, Nicolas, it makes better magic. I know there is a small compromise in directness but I really liked Tom Baxter's "Shhh!" as an impromptu, hands-off solution.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I think he did a great job of presenting this effect and the banter with the host added to the effect.

Gil Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for this Open Prediction... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL