The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Questions after watching James Dimmare's latest dove DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Wow, Premier dove worker James Dimmare released his 2 DVD set, "Dimmare's "Dove Whisperer"

I bought the limited edition (limited to 10 copies) with Special gold-disk pressing, hand-inscribed by Dimmare on the cover and disks,
rare full-color mini-poster, postcatrd & magazine..a good buy!

But strangly after watching the DVD, I have a couple of questions, if Jeff Hobson or Dimmare reading this, it will be great to chip in a little Smile

1) Dimmare say he came up with the very popular invisble dove harness design in the 1980 as seen on Dan Birch, Andy Amyx, Sperry's..e.g version which is on sale on the market. But according to Victor Cephas of Victor & Diamond on his ,'the art of stealing dove DVD...it was James Rainho the guy that first came up with this particular invisble design used by most dove worker worldwide..even on James Rainho's website also mentioned he came up with this design... now my question is who is telling the truth & who is the FIRST that came up with this very popular invisble harness design?

2) In my personal view, with no disrepect to Dimmare, I feel that James Dimmare is holding back some information on doveworks, think he mentioned Channing pollock tail pocket design is the correct one & many big names dove magicians on their DVD are incorrect...hmm..BUT Dimmare do NOT wish to reveal what is the correct design as used by him & Pollock, his mentor...with no disrepct to Pollock, I am not too concern OR keen to know about what design Pollock uses cos I knew Pollock did miss the dove toss a few times in a row as read in the magic magazine featuring Finland dove magician MARKO KARVO on magic magazine......but why did James Dimmare release a DVd & do not wish to reveal all this information..?

He also mentioned he did not want to reveal the way how he uses his dove invsible harness production cos is his...hmm...frankly I own tons of dove DVD...this is the first time I came across a magician released a dove DVD but hold back his work..instead, he only reveal standard production used by Shimada & Channing pollock..... Smile

But Dimmare forgotten, we ..dove magician buy his DVD cos we wish to see his work , not others....if he is not ready to reveal his work, then perhaps he shouldn't release this dove DVD in the first place...just my personal view...also I am a big fan of him, just feel a bit sad where he seem a little hostile when he talk & calling whatever big name magicians idiot...etc when he maintance his right that colouring a dove is bad for the bird...also mentioned of bloody nose..etc if someone came up to him & say training a dove to fly back using the 'starve method'..'seed' method works well, oh my....

Anyway, I am still a big fan of James Dimmare & his wonderful bird act....heard he & Jeff Hobson are starting in a show together..all the best to them Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Many guys hold back little secrets but few mention it. Many of the stuff published is the way a guy did his stuff for year. As one works, he develops and refines things. That is a natural progression of things.

As for the Invisible harness, Johnny Thompson does not believe in them. He has seen too many birds killed with them. BTW, Johnny Brown from Texas was one of the early guys with an invisible harness. I do not know if he predates James Rainho or not.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Richard, thanks for the reply...opps, I was able to edit when you post Smile

Anyway, I forgot to mention, other than the above mentioned, I did learn lots of new things from Dimmare DVD....the Dimmare's pop up traveling Dove Aviary & Portable small Cages is a GREAT GREAT idea which I never seen in other DVD....really brillant idea!

Though we have seen & read tons of dove DVD...Dimmare has his own approach in his dove care..deatils of dove work & tonns of information NOT available in other DVD.....I can sense from the above DVD that he is really sincere & a very nice person, only when he feel something is right, he insists is right... he becomes very firm & a little hostile to those who think likewise...E.G like the colouring bird & the 'starve' the bird the fly back issue Smile

Personally I will give a 7/10....if NOT of ALL the above mentioned problem...it will be a 10/10 Smile

P/S: Jeff Hobson is the producer of this DVD.....great job Smile
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
Well now. Hello everyone. The exact reason I never wanted to do a lecture or DVD is clear from the above. Most Magi don't care about anything except tricks. This hardens my heart even more towards people that care nothing for the art form, there props, and especially livestock.

So I will reply to all of the above. Once, and only once. Please take everything I say as you read this in a low monotone cadence. I am not angry, upset, mad, just VERY disappointed that the whole point of the DVD was entirely missed.
The point of the DVD is to sit with me for 2 hours and get to know what it's like to do what I do. Really learn about what makes a Dove tick, so you can better respect and take care of them. Along with some classic dove moves that if you mastered would make you a better Dove Manipulator, while also learning about respecting others material and the history of why and what I do and who went before me. There's enough "Dove Magic" DVD's out there. You don't need anymore tricks, oops sorry apparently –YOU- do!

"1) Dimmare say he came up with the very popular invisible dove harness design in the 1980 as seen on Dan Birch, Andy Amyx, Sperry's..e.g version which is on sale on the market. But according to Victor Cephas of Victor & Diamond on his ,'the art of stealing dove DVD...it was James Rainho the guy that first came up with this particular invisble design used by most dove worker worldwide..even on James Rainho's website also mentioned he came up with this design... now my question is who is telling the truth & who is the FIRST that came up with this very popular invisble harness design?"

If you really listened to DVD I said that a dealer saw what I was showing another dealer, many, many years ago. I didn't deem it necessary to name him out loud as that wasn't the point of that portion of the "rant". Victor wouldn't know it was mine. He would know were he purchased it from, know its safe and assume the dealer taking credit, was in fact the inventor. "The dealer" you mention above was the first to put it on the market, after the fact. I was unaware of this until many years later. It wasn't important for me to claim anything and I certainly didn't want everyone to know what I was using.

"2) In my personal view, with no disrepect to Dimmare, I feel that James Dimmare is holding back some information on doveworks, think he mentioned Channing pollock tail pocket design is the correct one & many big names dove magicians on their DVD are incorrect...hmm..BUT Dimmare do NOT wish to reveal what is the correct design as used by him & Pollock, his mentor...with no disrepct to Pollock, I am not too concern OR keen to know about what design Pollock uses cos I knew Pollock did miss the dove toss a few times in a row as read in the magic magazine featuring Finland dove magician MARKO KARVO on magic magazine......but why did James Dimmare release a DVd & do not wish to reveal all this information..?"

Wow really? if your not concerned or “keen” with it as some other Dove act told you Channing missed, then what is your problem. You don’t need to know then, now do you Smile We all miss. It happens, I have missed, Lance has missed, Shimada has missed. Why? We’re humans and we make mistakes. Again you missed the point of the "talk".

..."He also mentioned he did not want to reveal the way how he uses his dove invsible harness production cos is his...hmm...frankly I own tons of dove DVD...this is the first time I came across a magician released a dove DVD but hold back his work..instead, he only reveal standard production used by Shimada & Channing pollock....."

I'm not one of those acts that only has his act to "give away". The knowledge I have gained and am willing to share is much more valuable, than any trick! If you paid attention, I do tell you what NOT to do and as Richard pointed out above, my long time friend, Johnny Thompson ( and Pam, we love Pammy) too many birds have been harmed in them. So I teach you, if you HAVE to, what not to do. I have NEVER lost a bird in an Invisible. Mine or Shimada's!

"...But Dimmare forgotten, we ..dove magician buy his DVD cos we wish to see his work , not others....if he is not ready to reveal his work, then perhaps he shouldn't release this dove DVD in the first place...just my personal view...also I am a big fan of him, just feel a bit sad where he seem a little hostile when he talk & calling whatever big name magicians idiot...etc when he maintance his right that colouring a dove is bad for the bird...also mentioned of bloody nose..etc if someone came up to him & say training a dove to fly back using the 'starve method'..'seed' method works well, oh my....""

You should have read the ad with the table of contents before you bought the DVD. It's VERY, very apparent that this DVD is NOT for you, any many out there. If you don't like the fact that I am very adamant about the proper care of our feathered friends, please don’t buy my video! My precognitive, my opinion and my right to make sure ANY animal is treated with love and respect... Now as your fully entitled to your opinion about my DVD and work, I like wise am entitled to mine....So I googled you, saw a youtube videos, and your website. You color your birds, you pop a balloon right by there head and come close to almost stabbing the same bird, and worst of all your a YANKER. A guy who YANKS his birds using a invisible H, exactly what I tell you NOT to do.
So I owe you an apology. I'm wrong… this DVD is exactly what YOU need, but you don't want to hear about that apparently, or change it...BTW I did think the Dove snow storm was amusing.

Below is your back Pedal after the Richard Hughes post:

"Anyway, I forgot to mention, other than the above mentioned, I did learn lots of new things from Dimmare DVD....the Dimmare's pop up traveling Dove Aviary & Portable small Cages is a GREAT GREAT idea which I never seen in other DVD....really brillant idea!...
Though we have seen & read tons of dove DVD...Dimmare has his own approach in his dove care..deatils of dove work & tonns of information NOT available in other DVD.....I can sense from the above DVD that he is really sincere & a very nice person, only when he feel something is right, he insists is right... he becomes very firm & a little hostile to those who think likewise...E.G like the colouring bird & the 'starve' the bird the fly back issue"..."P/S: Jeff Hobson is the producer of this DVD.....great job "...

So perhaps you will watch it a few more times, change your act to were the birds are treated better, as you seem to have a problem with how a bird should be "properly" treated and as you state above, twice, and as witnessed in your performance how you treat your birds.

And yes, Jeffy rocks. I couldn’t have done the DVD without my buddy.

In the great words of Billy McComb:..”To much Knowledge is Dangerous”… and some guy a long time ago…” don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house”…

I do hope who ever does want to buy the DVD really pays attention, learns, and grows as a performer, as a lot of the info applies to all magicians not just Dove Manipulators!

Mahalo, DIMMARE
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
And also to show we really all are human my spell check spelled prerogative : percognitive.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
My respect for mr. Dimmare,whic was already gigantic, grew even more now. I'd buy his DVD, but I want the "Deluxe" version, and my credit card is all taken Smile oh, well.I'll get the standard one as soon as possible, it will be great to have a real master's insight, especially knowing that it has far more to do with bird care than tricks per se.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
As a bird magician since more than 20 years, I agree 100% with M Dimmare. The treatment of the animals is for sure the most important thing !
I know few birds acts very popular among magicians who are so rude with the birds that they would have a very hard time on some audiences, I think in particular of German Variety-theater audiences.

I will buy the Dimmare DVD, not to learn new techniques, just to support the "animal treatment".

ARNO
http://www.arnomagie.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
James, I hope you know the respect I have for you and your work. That is the only reason I posted what I did. You know that I prefer feathers that have removed from the birds.

Look forward to working and talking with you at Abbott's.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
thelestat
View Profile
New user
Vegas
48 Posts

Profile of thelestat
Quote:
On 2011-06-25 12:28, thelestat wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8PnRnffW4

Hello, I just would like to thank you Richard, and everyone else for "Getting"it. I appreciate all feedback. I will See you at Abbotts Richard with the new solo, manip act. No chicks, no birds. I'm also doing a close up kinda lecture there as well. Again nothing to do with birds. Some of my pet effects.

all the best and keep the faith. Mahalo. Dimmare
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Hi Dimmare, so happy that technology makes me feel so close to you, few of us like me are a big fan of ur dove act. I had lunches with you at the genting buffet with malaysia nicholas.
really shock me for ur airborne, great great charm and great tricks...
- a f o i -
JeremyE.Hughel
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of JeremyE.Hughel
Mr.Dimmare,
I just wanted to say that I am a huge fan!! I really respect your work, and think it shows highly of your character to respond with the conviction you did.... would love to see you live some day ,and get an autograph for my collection.... Thanks for the inspiration.

Your pal,
Jeremy Hughel
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Great videos. I am not a dove worker, I have produced a dove or two I bought these for my six year old son who will be a super dove worker in the next two years. He's well beyond his six yrs. Already doing split fans. Looking forward to posting videos in the next few months.
Dove boy forget what you know and watch the videos again, you will get. The teacher has appeared now be the student.
Thanks,James
Morjhana
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Morjhana
Well, my son is Dimmare's BIGGEST fan and has been since he was 4. He also has a button to prove it that says "Dimmare's Assistant". Smile
How's it going James? xo
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
165 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Phew, what a thread. I will say thank you to the original poster for bringing these to my attention and thank you to James for the thoughtful response. Will be purchasing soon!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I'm unclear from dove-boy's original posting: Is Dimmare for or against coloring doves and/or using some type of starvation method of training.

It sounds like he's against both which makes me glad, but I'm not sure.

Ron
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
He is very much against it.

Quote:
On 2011-07-25 18:24, Ron Reid wrote:
I'm unclear from dove-boy's original posting: Is Dimmare for or against coloring doves and/or using some type of starvation method of training.

It sounds like he's against both which makes me glad, but I'm not sure.

Ron
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
He is against both and if you starve train them and he finds out, your going to get punched in the nose. LOL
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
James,

I am so glad you put this out. And I do hope that the younger wanna be dove magicians will "get" you. It may take a half dozen views. But in the long they will. I hope you are well man!!

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Dvds are great but dimmare should put a book out as the ild saying goes. If you want to keep a secret put it in print. He could give away the farm in a book and most of it would go past people. He is by far the most passionate magician of our times and it comes through in the dvds and his acts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Questions after watching James Dimmare's latest dove DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL