The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay in the bike lane! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

Stick with the video until at least about 1:25 or so. Don't have anything in your mouth.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Does make you wonder, doesn't it?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
That was great!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thumbs up.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Seems pretty clear, however, that there was no obstruction which caused the rider to be out of the legal riding zone for his vehicle. If there had been, he could have supplied proof of that when he contested the ticket.

Aside from that, he is darn good at taking a fall off his bike.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 10:54, Tom Cutts wrote:
If there had been, he could have supplied proof of that when he contested the ticket.

He probably didn't even contest the ticket. It's possible it would have cost him more than 50 dollars worth of his time to go to court on it. He probably just shelled out the 50 bucks.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
We had a local case of a kid who had mobility issues getting a ticket for riding a Segway on a sidewalk. Apparently he could take a wheelchair--motorized on not--but the Segway was taboo.

Isn't one of the first lessons of law school "the law is an ass"?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Sooo you got 2 options if your a bicycle rider sort of person... ticket or injury! That's just great! One other thing, where is his helmet? At least he didn't have a cell phone in his hand, or worse a cigarette!

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 10:58, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 10:54, Tom Cutts wrote:
If there had been, he could have supplied proof of that when he contested the ticket.

He probably didn't even contest the ticket. It's possible it would have cost him more than 50 dollars worth of his time to go to court on it. He probably just shelled out the 50 bucks.
Given the video, that is extremely doubtful.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 18:05, GlenD wrote:
Sooo you got 2 options if your a bicycle rider sort of person... ticket or injury!
Such is the IGNORANCE that the video begets. But I'm not surprised.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I think there are actually several examples of bikers getting ticketed by police blocking the bike lane.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The rider clearly says in the radio interview near the end of the video that he just paid the ticket.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I should make it clear that this is what I find extremely doubtful given the time he gave to making the video.

Quote:
It's possible it would have cost him more than 50 dollars worth of his time to go to court on it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Good point, Tom.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-15 22:11, mastermindreader wrote:
Good point, Tom. In your last post I thought you were saying it was doubtful he paid the ticket.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Not necessarily. I don't know if it varies by location but around here they schedule traffic hearings on weekday mornings and you have to show up and wait your turn. So if you have a day job then you will have to miss work. whereas the video could have been made after work. That's not to say that's the case. He could be a 10-speed hobo. We just don't know.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 18:05, GlenD wrote:
Sooo you got 2 options if your a bicycle rider sort of person... ticket or injury! That's just great! One other thing, where is his helmet? At least he didn't have a cell phone in his hand, or worse a cigarette!

Glen

Third option. If something's blocking the path, get off the bike, walk the bike around the obstruction and get back on the bike. Then you're not riding the bike outside of the bike lane. (Beside which, a lot of those "obstacles" could have been gotten around without leaving the bike path.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 22:06, Tom Cutts wrote:
I should make it clear that this is what I find extremely doubtful given the time he gave to making the video.

I should make it clear that you are talking out of your butt and just making assumptions left and right.

Maybe his court date was on a tuesday and he would have had to take time off to attend, and maybe he made the video on a saturday when he wasn't working. Maybe a lot of things. You seem to be saying that if he had time to make the video he MUST have had time to go to court and dispute the ticket. But of course that's not necessarily the case..

I don't find it "extremly doubtful" at all that he could have chosen to simply pay the ticket because it would have cost him more in time on the day he was scheduled to appear, and yet still make the video.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I know, I was just trying to be sarcastically funny. I think it's more a bit of insight regarding the officer. I guess that cyclist was the biggest fish he could hook that morning. I mean if I was riding a bike, I would just do what I got to do and maneuver as necessary. I would not worry about getting a ticket for avoiding obstructions nor would I stop and walk my bike around them.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I find the entire idea worthwhile of an oscar for best short film of the year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay in the bike lane! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL