The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay in the bike lane! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 10:54, Tom Cutts wrote:
Seems pretty clear, however, that there was no obstruction which caused the rider to be out of the legal riding zone for his vehicle. If there had been, he could have supplied proof of that when he contested the ticket.

Aside from that, he is darn good at taking a fall off his bike.

You seem to be confusing a short comedy polemic for a documentary.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5901 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 22:15, critter wrote:
if you have a day job then you will have to miss work. whereas the video could have been made after work. That's not to say that's the case. He could be a 10-speed hobo. We just don't know.
"WE" would know if "WE" just did a little research, critter. Not your typical standard.

Quote:
On 2011-06-16 09:49, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 22:06, Tom Cutts wrote:
I should make it clear that this is what I find extremely doubtful given the time he gave to making the video.

I should make it clear that you are talking out of your butt and just making assumptions left and right.

Maybe his court date was on a tuesday and he would have had to take time off to attend, and maybe he made the video on a saturday when he wasn't working. Maybe a lot of things. You seem to be saying that if he had time to make the video he MUST have had time to go to court and dispute the ticket. But of course that's not necessarily the case..
You gotta love people who make accusations about assumptions and attempt to back them up with their own assumptions. It seems clear to me you have no idea who the guy that shot this video is. You just made an assumption he is Joe Everyday with a day job being oppressed by the man. He isn't.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2608 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
"WE" would know if "WE" just did a little research, critter. Not your typical standard.

Okay, by 'your' do you actually mean mine, or is it the 'royal your?' As in 'People in general do not adhere to this standard?'
I just want to know if I'm being insulted.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
You gotta love people who make accusations about assumptions and attempt to back them up with their own assumptions. It seems clear to me you have no idea who the guy that shot this video is. You just made an assumption he is Joe Everyday with a day job being oppressed by the man. He isn't.

I'm not trying to back up anything. You made an assumption and you are trying to argue as if it is the stone truth.

I said "maybe". Do you understand what "maybe" means? I'm saying there may be possibilities that you aren't even considering. That's what "maybe" means. You have it all worked out in your own mind. I admit I don't know all the facts. That's the difference.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5901 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Specifically I typically find and you more attentive to details and research (or occasionally stating you aren't interested in researching) rather than throwing your hands (or keyboard) up and just saying "We don't know.". It's not meant as an insult, just an observation.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Your probably right. He made the whole thing up. That's "pretty clear".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
You just never know where some threads are going to go.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 12:32, LobowolfXXX wrote:
You just never know where some threads are going to go.

There are often obstacles in the path.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2608 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 12:15, Tom Cutts wrote:
Specifically I typically find and you more attentive to details and research (or occasionally stating you aren't interested in researching) rather than throwing your hands (or keyboard) up and just saying "We don't know.". It's not meant as an insult, just an observation.

Okay no problem then. I didn't look it up because I assumed (Yeah, I know about assumptions) that he was just some guy on YouTube.
I don't generally find it worth the time to do background checks on YouTube posters. Since your comments, I have looked up the name and found this:
http://neistatbrothers.com/neistat-hbo
For those who don't know, and because I'm nice enough to share, he has an HBO program with his brother. I still don't know what kind of schedule he has for these videos, but they do seem to be his job which makes him money. Since cameras aren't allowed in the courtroom then it is feasible that this is time he could be using to make videos (read: money)
Not a big deal to me either way. The point was just an exercise. I don't really have a lot of emotional investment in this debate.
I do think that in this case the cop was being kind of dumb... if the radio guy at the end was correct about it not actually being illegal. But one dopey cop isn't going to turn me into an anarchist or anything.

That said, let me now turn to defending Tom Cutts' point. Also for the fun of the exercise.
If the radio guy was correct then Neistat may have been able to contest the ticket by mail on those grounds and gotten it dismissed without even going to court. 40 cents is less than the price of a cup of coffee or food for a starving Ethiopian.
~Will Rogers
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5901 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Bingo!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Merlin, I don't think saying something is "doubtful" is anything close to arguing something as "stone hard fact."

Also, I think tom may have been that, based on the video, the guy wastes his time, and so it's not worth much.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2608 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 12:56, gdw wrote:
Merlin, I don't think saying something is "doubtful" is anything close to arguing something as "stone hard fact."

Also, I think tom may have been that, based on the video, the guy wastes his time, and so it's not worth much.

Dude, get a laptop. Your phone's grammar an speling r almost azz bad arse mine.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I just thought the video was funny.

I guess I belong in the slow class.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2608 Posts

Profile of critter
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hitlernyan!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 12:34, critter wrote:

That said, let me now turn to defending Tom Cutts' point. Also for the fun of the exercise.
If the radio guy was correct then Neistat may have been able to contest the ticket by mail on those grounds and gotten it dismissed without even going to court. 40 cents is less than the price of a cup of coffee or food for a starving Ethiopian.

AFAIK in NYC you always have to show up to court to contest a ticket. You can plead not guilty by mail, but you are then assigned a court date.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2608 Posts

Profile of critter
Well it sounds like it might depend on whether this ticket is considered a moving violation. Yes, he was moving, but that doesn't mean it's a moving violation. For example, red light camera tickets are treated the same as parking tickets in NYC.
For a parking ticket, these are the options according to the NYC.gov site:
"There are three ways to request a hearing; Hearing by Web (online), Hearing by Mail or Hearing in Person."
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking......te.shtml
I am not sure whether these options are available for moving violations, and I am not taking the time to dig.

To further clarify:
"People who request a hearing by web but do not accept a settlement offer from Finance and are granted a hearing by a judge, will receive that judge's decision via email, as well as by regular mail, provided that the respondent's email is working"

I'm not in New York, kind of the opposite, but I have contested a "reckless driving" ticket by mail. It's pretty easy.

Edit- Hey, I just figured out what AFAIK means! Smile
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2608 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 13:26, landmark wrote:
Hitlernyan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-meTlsNrw

Just stay away from "Nein-Cat." Painful.
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
What about turning left?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2608 Posts

Profile of critter
Nyan Cat never turns.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay in the bike lane! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL