The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » John Pizzi - AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dash & Me
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Dash & Me
I agree with Howie's talent & experience, but I get the impression that he is a big hearted push over on a lot of the votes. Maybe that's the role he is intended to play on that panel.

Troy
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Troy;

I agree with your assessment; it’s the future of the performers at stake and Howie is making decisions on his inexperienced background and not the ability of the performer.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
The whole show is a joke. It should be called America's Got Singers. Every winner has been a singer of some type. Even Terry Fator was a singing ventriloquist. As much as I like Terry and his work, if he hadn't been able to sing he would never have made it.

To Terry's credit, he took that win as a springboard to where he is now.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Neale;
I agree with you totally
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
As much as I hate to say it - singing is a talent. It also happens to be the most popular talent out there. There are far more famous singers than magicians, jugglers, mentalists, acrobats or ventriloquists. Because of it's (music) immense world-wide popularity and the fact it lends itself well to the shortened format the program offers - singers will most likely continue to rise to the top of AGT. Now if there was a Last Variety Act Standing, or America's Got Variety or American Variety Act or Last Lips Moving...then...

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
As I understand it, however, lots of variety acts that AREN'T singers wind up getting lots of work as a result of being on the show...and viewers get entertained in the bargain...so...win/win.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tom;
I totally agree singing is a talent and should be on America’s Got Talent; My point was, what is in Howie Mandel’s background that gives him the credentials to recognize the difference between a good singer and a bad singer and make an important decision like that?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;

You are totally correct; many acts that get voted off the show still get lots of work because they appeared on AGT
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Buzz -
Howie's been around the world of professional entertainment a long time. He's seen the good, the great and the OMG What Are They Thinking? They pay him for his celebrity, his antics on the show, his opinion and his ability to agree with the producers - who make most of the important decisions. Keep in mind - this is "reality" television. Based on my experiences with another reality show - its NOT REAL.

I do agree with Philip - its a win/win for the acts that get shown. My brief appearance on LCS opened a few doors.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tom, you never met the guy, it's awful hard to make sense of him; but your correct, he does have interesting comments on the show and I guess the Executive Producer and staff can put up with it.

Piers Morgan makes it clear regarding his behavior and I am on Piers side on this one, I along with many others I worked with had the same outlook.

But in general you and Philip are correct, it is a win/win for all who have talent that appear on the show
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Nope. Not "in general." It's not really about the contest. It's about the viewership. The viewers must be entertained. The prizes and costs are just a fragment of what it would cost to mount a filmed drama. You have the judges you have for this deal because the viewership must be entertained.

The people who run the show don't "put up" with Mandel. They know what they're doing.

As for what's in Mandel's background that allows him to etc...

He's in show business. He's been in show business for a long long time.

He's eminently qualified.

It's show business.

It's like cabinet builders. A good cabinet builder recognizes that another cabinet builder's work is quality or not. They're in the cabinet building business. Who CARES what tools they use? It's about entertaining the audience. "Will this act entertain an audience? Does this act have enough good material to fill a whole show? Does this act have staying power?"

Don't mistake this show for a contest wherein the winner is the whole raison d'etre. It's entertainment. The guy who finishes up on top (who is voted there, ultimately, by the viewership...which is the reason for the whole deal...who vote for him/her because they are entertained) gets the most money...but pretty much everybody who has any talent at all gets some kind of positive return, because they get FREE TIME ON A MAJOR NETWORK THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR. How great is THAT?

I could go on. Oh, how I could go on. Personally, I think the show is good for show business...and good for the people who manage to get on camera...and great entertainment.

-Philip
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
So.. all this being what it is.. it's a reality show, it can get you some exposure, the contract you have to sign is weird, but even with all this.. honestly.. who here in this forum would do it if you got the chance? I might. I'm not sure. Even if I thought I'd get beat up by the judges.. TV is good for the resume.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
AGT is one I would not do.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Here is the contract - it's only 45 pages

http://www.performers.net/junk/agreement.pdf
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quite unbelievable. You basically give up all legal rights in order to be on the show. The producers can do anything they want with your performance, your personality, your name, your likeness, your act in perpetuity and throughout the known (and probably unknown) universe.

My first question on reading it was "who would sign such a thing?" But then I guess a lot of people have. I'm guessing professional performers are able to have their lawyers negotiate some different terms.

As usual, when lawyers get involved, it gets...complicated.

B
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Most pro acts would go in through an agency - if they work with one. The agency would most likely handle the contract details. AGT doesn't NEED any act. There are plenty of people who would sign their life away to be a part without even reading the paperwork. So I'm not too sure that they would negotiate on details.

Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tom and Philip; it seems that lately I have not been understandable in my posts here and I am not getting my points across with intelligibility.

I am on a medication for an injury I sustained when I slipped and wrenched by back last week; I am temporarily taking pain pills that have affected my ability to structure a sentence to convey my position on the subject at hand.

I should be off this medication by Friday and able to communicate.

I am giving up now on trying to clarify my point of this whole AGT subject; it’s too frustrating for me now; I can’t think.

Buzz
Dash & Me
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Dash & Me
Section B.2 "Hidden cameras in bedrooms, bathrooms, dressing rooms and the interior of any other area in which a person under other circumstances might have a reasonable expectation of privacy..." What the hell!

Troy
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Dash;

You took the time to read all the way to Section B.2!!!
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 22:57, Howie Diddot wrote:
Dash;

You took the time to read all the way to Section B.2!!!

Maybe he has a legal background? Smile
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » John Pizzi - AGT (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL