The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bro. John Hamman's Two Card Trick (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Has anyone done a Technicolor version of this trick?

Thanks,
Trini
Trini Montes
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4314 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Performed this for my girlfriend a few minutes ago.

Hahah she really really liked it.

I used the "push through the fist??" for the color change.
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 01:29, mota wrote:
Here is a clip of someone doing this trick...

someone Smile
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
That handling of The Two Card Trick was very nicely done by someone. even with the eye patch;)
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Oooooold thread... but, I wanted to mention that The Secrets of Brother John Hamman "The Two Card Trick" is one of my all time favorite routines. This is the version I first learned in 1996 when I bought the book. I fooled myself many times when first learning this, which helped for my fascination and believing in the effect. I modified the very beginning handling to for my preference (changed the order, so DL instead of TL, msg me if interested in the starting order), but I just love the effect and the way it plays to the audience. It's a quick color change, no fancy moves. And I almost always end with the Ace in the card box, which is something I learned from Karl Norman in 2002 when he did a completely different routine. I eventually figured out that I could incorporate the Ace ending in the box, and it flowed perfectly. Then, I typically go into "The Submarine Card"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWKXVhFaNb0 <-- me performing "The Two Card Trick" and other stuff overseas. It's a little tricky to perform for people that don't speak English as well, but the reaction is still typical and great.

There are many other routines I like in this book, but I did tend to steer away from many of the gimmicked/gaffed card routines.

Vlad mentions: Precise reference: Hamman, Bro. John. "The Two Card Trick." in APOCALYPSE. Lorayne, Harry. v.1, n,3, March 1978, pp. 32-33. Now, I will have to locate and buy this.

In 2020, I had learned of a non-gimmicked version (no extra card) that Jack Carpenter came up with (I'm sure there's others as well). Someone at the Magi-Fest showed me Jack's handling. I tried it and adapted it to the handling I use in the video above with a tweak to the wording and handling. It works well. I can do it with a borrowed deck, if I don't have my deck with me. The color change is stronger, but it still plays well with this handling.

Tom
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8486 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
If you go to harryloraynemagic.com and click on Videos or Performances - and scroll down - in one paragraph you'll see You Tube underlined. Click on that and a bunch of my performances from my "Best Ever" 4-vol DVD set come up. One of them is a performance of the two-Card trick. You might enjoy the other stuff at that site.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Thank you Harry. I had actually seen your performance on it via TMF posting about The Two Card Trick. The YouTube video was posted there.
A few years ago, I watched all of the performance you have on your YouTube channel.

In the video on YouTube, you specifically state that it is a Brother John Hamman idea. This is why I'm asking.

On TMF, you mentioned that you thought you had published The Two Card Trick first. Do you recall where you would have published this prior? The Secrets of Brother John Hamman that I have was published 1989, and it says Brother John had performed it since 1972 and that it appeared in Apocalypse Vol 1, No 3 in 1978, but if you have something that is published prior to this, I would love to find it and even purchase it.

Do you mean that Brother John created it in 1972, then you published it in Apocalypse in 1978, then he published it in his book in 1989?
Either way, I already know this routine from when I bought the book in 1996, but I would like to know and learn the original origin or how this trick was inspired.

I appreciate your time and input.
I had also sent you and Rudy a private message on TMF, but I forgot to put a subject line. In that message, I was asking about the routine you have in Trend Setters called "Melt Through" and The Submarine Card. If you get a chance, can you please read that message?

Thank you!

Tom

Tom Kracker
My website
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I learned the "Status Quo Shuffle" off one of Harry's tapes many years ago. Served me better than a million other controls.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Special user
Lake Worth FL
928 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I feel like I'm alone in this opinion, but I find the effect very confusing. The visuals are cool, but I don't know how to make heads or tails of what the effect is supposed to be.
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
788 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2021, Ed Oschmann wrote:
I feel like I'm alone in this opinion, but I find the effect very confusing. The visuals are cool, but I don't know how to make heads or tails of what the effect is supposed to be.

No, you've got company.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2893 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I'm with Ed. I've always felt that the effect is confusing. Ask a spectator to tell you what happened in the Two Card Trick.

If you asked about an ACR, they'd have no trouble saying "You put my signed card in the middle and it kept coming to the top."

Mike
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2021, Mike Powers wrote:
I'm with Ed. I've always felt that the effect is confusing. Ask a spectator to tell you what happened in the Two Card Trick.

If you asked about an ACR, they'd have no trouble saying "You put my signed card in the middle and it kept coming to the top."

Mike

Which is good, but not as good as, "Hamman just fried me"
Layman aren't aware of our dogma that they should be able to sum it up in one sentence.
Sometimes they are just plain fooled. Bro. John knew this. If the spectator has a magical experience, it doesn't necessarily have to fall into a neat and tidy category that satisfies our ideas about theory.
All due respect gents.
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
788 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2021, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Mike

Which is good, but not as good as, "Hamman just fried me"
Layman aren't aware of our dogma that they should be able to sum it up in one sentence.
Sometimes they are just plain fooled. Bro. John knew this. If the spectator has a magical experience, it doesn't necessarily have to fall into a neat and tidy category that satisfies our ideas about theory.
All due respect gents.

I think this is just a clear example of one effect that defies Vernon's admonition. I'm not saying it isn't fooling and I'm not saying it isn't entertaining. But it does have a sense of the illogical to it. And yes, it is difficult to describe the effect, even for magicians.

People need to embrace the "and". Something can be illogical AND entertaining at the same time. This trick clearly shows that.
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Maddened
Quote:

Mike

Let me try, in the most layperson manner possible. "So there's like two cards right? I was asked to choose one of them and I picked the Ace, which was then actually became a blue card... because before that it was red, so like huh what happened?? and then the other card, I think it was a Queen or King... Queen yes... anyway it became blue also even though it was red. I mean not the card but the back of the card. So they like change colours back and forth, and then the Ace turns out to also be a Queen, because like there was no Ace actually. And one was red and one was blue, so they were both like Queens, but one was read and one was blue, so there was no Ace? Hm? Yes I chose the Ace, so yes there was an Ace, but then afterwards it change colour the Ace became a Queen also. No I definitely saw the Ace. There was an Ace! Um... yea maybe the Ace was a Queen, but then where did the Ace gone? He took it out and THEN it changed colours..."

I know it sounds like a parody or satire but I'm pretty sure that would be how someone would retell the trick, before promptly being given a "Ohhhhkay. Sure thing. Sounds cool... You wanna go grab lunch?"
Nikodemus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
"The magician showed two cards; the back of one changed to a different colour; then its face changed to be the same as the other card."
I think that's a reasonable one-sentence description
Smile

I don't like it for a different reason. I think the second revelation gives away the method. One of the cards never was the card they thought it was. They may not know exactly how it was done - but enough to undermine any sense of impossibility.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2893 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I think it was Vernon who said "Confusion isn't magic."

M
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8486 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Let's see if my statement can become as well known as Vernon's. Simple: IF THE EFFEC DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU, DOESN'T ENTERETAIN YOUR AUDIENCES - DON'T DO IT!!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Tortuga
View Profile
Special user
Ballwin, MO
788 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2021, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Let's see if my statement can become as well known as Vernon's. Simple: IF THE EFFEC DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU, DOESN'T ENTERETAIN YOUR AUDIENCES - DON'T DO IT!!!!

Perfect! Nothing more can be said.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2893 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I totally agree Harry.

M
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Me too Harry.

And to all, thank you for your input and insight.
I do appreciate it and value the brainstorming of ideas, concepts, and methods with you guys.
Especially in-person sessions.

Tom

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bro. John Hamman's Two Card Trick (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL