The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » A fallen Idol : Vallarino (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MarianoG
View Profile
Veteran user
SPAIN
336 Posts

Profile of MarianoG
The trick, and it's specific movements are registered here, so this won't apply in other countries of course. They even have the DVD as proof, I did this on the official spanish intellectual property, If this can be used or not as the basis on a trial, it's another thing. I'm not a lawyer. Thanks for checking, but I have no intention to sue anyone, this is merely a discussion on magic and ethics for me.

I don't know if one should believe that phrase of "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"...

Either way, I took a Vallarino handling and tried to improve the routine (I think I did, at the expense of precision and beauty), in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCHqWe75_E

Now, this ends with a full order deck and 4 coins under the aces. The difference? I don't sell the secret... and I say this is inspired in JP. Go forward, not backwards!!!
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
What is the trick, and it's specific movements registered under? I did a little searching to discover the complete opposite of what you are claiming. Please share a bit more info on this registering your trick and movements. Sounds interresting!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 07:03, MarianoG wrote:
Lol, of course I did not invent the "effect". Nor David Stone invented the "effect" of a
card thru window. (sorry about my bad phrasing before).

What I meant, the METHOD and the IDEA is almost the same. That brings to ethical questions
about variations on commercial tricks. Of course he can sell a variation of "Window" and
"Melting Point". But HOW CLOSE HE IS to the original effects is the question.

Now what do you have to say?

MarianoGm ---> I respect your abilities as a Magician. But, I do not hold much credibility with your statements. Slanderous statements that Vallerino is a fallen idol destroys any validation of your claims. This is not the proper behavior or act of a respected Gentleman of Magic.

You must understand now, if you didn't before. You are dealing with the brightest, and most intelligent minds in the industry. False statements might buy you fans on T11 or some other smaller forums. But on the Café checks, and balances of facts vs. fiction are exposed.

This is an expose of your fiction:

I personally worked on Signed Card Thru Window. My name is Jason Ring and I am the English voice of Vallerino in many of his productions. And guess what, I am also a friend of David Stone. Admittedly, at first I was reluctant to do the voice over for Signed Card Thru Window considering Davids Window release, and my friendship with him. It wasn't until I seen how completely different the method and trick was with SCTW vs. WINDOW, that I decided to do the voice work.

The Lawsuit:

It's not the trick per say that David is suing Vallerino for as much as it's the name used in the French release. Which is "Window Pro" and the timing was un-professional. Frankly, I don't blame David for his actions I would have done the same. Further more I wouldn't do the Voice Over until it was agreed to change the Name for the US release. And I certainly voiced my opinion. I was one link in the chain at suggesting a name change out of my respect of Davids WINDOW. It's doubtful that David will win this lawsuit. But, I am not familiar with French Law. However common sense tells me if David wins it will not be because of the trick. It will be simply the name Window Pro. The trick and method is completely different. It's the timing of the release, and the name that was in poor form on Vallerino's part. And honestly the dispute between Vallerino, and Stone runs deeper then what is discussed here.

No disrespect to you Mariano, I would just be more careful of your statements here in the Café. All of us in the entertainment industry work very hard for our success. I can't imagine Vallerino a brilliant card magician is out to steal your exact hand movements, could very well be coincidence.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
MarianoG
View Profile
Veteran user
SPAIN
336 Posts

Profile of MarianoG
Yes Jason... I probably chose the wrong "title" for this. But it's a personal feeling... not to disrespect what Jean Pierre is, or what he accopmplished in the past.
When you grow in magic seeing people that seemingly creates his own magic, you look at them like examples, and doing what other magician does was not in the code.

I know that I am acting a bit like Mr.Pitchford in his last years, being very upset and trying to sue anyone doing "his" cigarrettes and "his" glove and card manipulations.
He did not invented that. But a lot of people jumped into his wagon.

If you think it's appropiate to change the title of this post, I'll try to do that. I admit I was a bit too mad when I posted.

On another note, I recognize what is happening. Years pass and 90% percent of the people forgets the creators, everything old is new again...
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
You continue to claim that you have registered your hand movements and trick as intellectual property, but confess to knowing nothing about it's protection. You also seem clueless to how it's supposed to protect you. You don't even know the proper name of what it's called. And, if you did a little research you would see that you cannot legally protect your trick under intellectual property.

"The trick, and it's specific movements are registered here, so this won't apply in other countries of course. They even have the DVD as proof, I did this on the official spanish intellectual property, If this can be used or not as the basis on a trial, it's another thing. I'm not a lawyer."

What is the trick and specific movements registered under? In other words, what is it properly called?
Why register them if they have no international wieght to it?
The DVD is proof of what exactly?
There is no such thing called, " official spanish intellectual property. You don't even know if it can be used in court or not????

You have to understand how surprised I am with you statements and claims. Usually when someone looks to protect their property, they have an understanding of what it is, and how it protects them. You, on the other hand seem clueless.

A dealer lied to everyone here on the Café awhile back claiming to have registered a trick under Trade Secret protection. I knew he was lying because I already know plenty about how trade secrets work. He also went so far as to lie even more by claiming that he registered the routine under P.A. protection. A simple check disclosed he was once again lying. I am not saying you are lying, but I wish you knew more about what you were talking about. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
MarianoG
View Profile
Veteran user
SPAIN
336 Posts

Profile of MarianoG
I am not a lawyer, and I wasn't talking about "me" suing anyone. I was talking about ethics. Law cannot protect in any way our creations.

I do have a reference number from 2006 for you to go check in the Spanish intellectual property if my trick is registered or not.

The effect or movements that make the effect are registered as "dramatic play". It can only be registered as that. Don't argue now about if this is
proper or not, I don't care.

If someone copies the way Norbert Ferré moves, nothing happens. It's just a copycat. No registration, law or intellectual property can stop that.
Only magicians ethics can work a solution to that.

But it seems to be lacking here.

goodbye
Arteco
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Arteco
Hi Mariano,

Jean-Pierre Vallarino did not copy Window from David Stone. You need to make a difference between copying (taking a trick, finding someone that can manufacture the exact same trick and reselling it under another name), and coming with an improved version, using a different method, different techniques, different handling, etc.

That video of card and coin thru table is a demo video posted in 2009. Absolutely nothing is for sale here. How wrong can it be to perform a trick and post it on youtube ? WTF ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » A fallen Idol : Vallarino (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL