The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 110 Year Old Light Bulb (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
I saw this on American Pickers.

It just goes to show you they don't make stuff like they use to, back when Made in America meant somthing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

They need to do an autopsy on that bulb after it finally dies. There must be SOMETHING about it that would be good to know.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Only about 20 minutes from me. Several friends live in livermore. Nice town.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Okay, I didn't set this up, but there's a great Bob and Ray routine about this. Bob is interviewing the world's greatest collector of light bulbs. Rare ones of all kinds from historic places and times. But all during the interview, Bob gets fumble fingered and keeps dropping the bulbs, much to Ray's consternation. It's hilarious. Unfortunately it's not on the Internet, but it can be bought on Amazon in one of their CD collections.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1305 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Edison's light Bulbs were made to last when he first made them but I think it was another entrepreneur that suggested they make them last a set amount of time so that people would have to buy new bulbs every so often. This ensures the product can create a demand and a company can make money.
This is a good example of what is going on all over the map nowadays with our throwaway culture.
We have the ability to make things that last but we do not do that for two simple reasons. The product would put itself out of business and or it would not be at a price that people could afford because the business would need to make something on it.
Nothing is "for the greater good" it would seem.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 21:44, Mobius303 wrote:
Edison's light Bulbs were made to last when he first made them but I think it was another entrepreneur that suggested they make them last a set amount of time so that people would have to buy new bulbs every so often. This ensures the product can create a demand and a company can make money.
This is a good example of what is going on all over the map nowadays with our throwaway culture.
We have the ability to make things that last but we do not do that for two simple reasons. The product would put itself out of business and or it would not be at a price that people could afford because the business would need to make something on it.
Nothing is "for the greater good" it would seem.

It would seem that if someone were to market a long lasting bulb (perhaps also making it more "green") then they actually would stand to make a good buck.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
How many 20 year light bulbs can you sell before the market is saturated?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 22:47, landmark wrote:
How many 20 year light bulbs can you sell before the market is saturated?

I'm sure more than enough to live comfortably for at least the next 20 years.

thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
So there I am with an eternal light bulb that cost, oh say $1800.00 - but it burns forever. But I have to keep it from where anyone can get at it so all my outdoor lights are older types that burn out regularly but are unattractive to steal. Plus after a party I go around the house and find people have switched out my eternal bulbs with cheap ones and I don't know who it was.
where I work we have arguments all the time with what I call energy vampires - people who come into the public areas of the building and plug in their cell phones and charge up. when I try to tell them that the outlet is there for the building workers for the floor scrubbers and the like they get this blank look and then 'female dog' me out as I somehow was the one doing wrong.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well I think gdw's point is that if company X sells its one month bulb for $1, then you can probably sell your 20 year bulb for $2 and it shouldn't cost double the one month bulb to make.

It's really just an extension of the quality versus price dilemma. Some will pay $2 for a deck of cards, some will pay $10 for a better cut and finish. It probably doesn't cost 5 times more to make the second deck of cards.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3419 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The whole key to this is to never turn off the light bulb. Cycling the bulb on and off is what causes the filament to deteriorate thru heat and cold. I'd bet that if the bulb was ever turned off it wouldn't light again.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Keep in mind that the bulb in question has always been quite dim and emits a reddish glow. When Mythbusters examined it they noted that it has an extremely thick filament. It's estimated that it would take five of these bulbs to emit the amount of light released by a regular 60W bulb. For the bulb to burn brighter it would require a thinner filament. And that's the dilemma. The thinner the filament, the hotter it will get, the brighter it will be and the sooner it will burn out.

The bulb, though, has apparently been moved around a bit over its lifetime and, thus, has been turned off on at least a few occasions. In that, and a few other respects, it is a lot like me - not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but one of the oldest.

:eek:

Good thoughts,

Bob
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That lightbulb is on the news frequently in the bay area. The firemen use to toss nerf balls at it until they found out it was deemed important.

As for long lasting light bulbs they have been created and intentionally NOT released because it would limit the purchases of bulbs and that isn't good to the companies that make them.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 21:44, Mobius303 wrote:

I believe I've read that some of the Edison bulbs were made with much thicker filaments, so they lasted longer.

I did read that the long lasting fire-hall bulb is a 60 watt bulb that draws only 4 watts of power. I'm thinking that would explain a great deal of its extended life.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Factoid: Did you know the light bulb was a Canadian invention, technically. By Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans in 1874. Who sold the patent to Edison for $5000.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-18 20:58, Joey Stalin wrote:
Factoid: Did you know the light bulb was a Canadian invention, technically. By Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans in 1874. Who sold the patent to Edison for $5000.

Now is that a real factoid?
Is that ambiguous enough?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2618 Posts

Profile of critter
Isn't the Factoid that little red rabbit looking dude who makes your pizza cold?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Good old Noid.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 110 Year Old Light Bulb (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL