The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What Dow Chemical doesn’t want you to know about your water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
The story, outlined (told from the point of view of the story's author):

1. Dow, through a PR firm, contacted me to say something about water sustainability. I am big on water sustainability person. So rad.

2. I said a bunch of stuff that wasn't particularly flattering to Dow.

3. The PR firm said thanks but no thanks. I said fine, whatevs.

4. And by the way, there's a bunch of other, old lawsuits pending against Dow about events that are 5-12 years old. Let me tell you about them for a few paragraphs.

5. Oh yeah, and unrelated to those lawsuits, Dow also manufacturers a dangerous chemical that was used in consumer products. It's really really dangerous. I won't go so far as to say that Dow's manufacture of it goes against any regulation, or whether there are any ongoing lawsuits concerning the manufacture of it. But let me re-iterate: Dow makes a really really dangerous chemical.

6. So in sum, I hate Dow.

----

Now, I'm not a staunch supporter of Dow. I'm all for being environmentally responsible, and I'm in favor of strict regulation and strict enforcement of dangerous crap.

But this article is just noise. The only relatively recent events were summarized in my point 1-3 above. And those are -- at least in my opinion -- fairly uncontroversial. Like, "oooooh! Dow isn't going to include their vocal critics in some Dow PR piece! Scoundrels!"

The rest of the events were old, at best reported with little or no detail, or at worst intentionally misleading. In the "little or no detail" category is the mention of the pending lawsuits. What's the status of those? The arguments on both sides?

In the at-least-possibly "intentionally misleading" category is the paragraph about Bisphenol-A. A quick spin on Wikipedia reveals that its dangers were only recently discovered, and the ***ing [heh... I guess I meant damming?] paragraph offers no dates. So it's not clear, for example, whether Dow continues to produce the chemical (... as part of their campaign to kill women and children), or whether they ramped down, or at least complied with recent regulations, when the data came in on the chemical.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Personally, I'll always think of DOW fondly as the makers of napalm and Agent Orange, much as I remember DuPont as the makers of Zyklon-B gas.

Better living through chemistry.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
IG Farben and Bayer, not DuPont.
So much for memory.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I was looking in to the DuPont claim, and I started where I usually do: with Wikipedia. I saw no evidence of DuPont being involved in Zyklon B. I was about to mention that DuPont had nothing to do with it, but then I thought, "Eh, this might be a slightly controversial topic, so I better go beyond Wikipedia."

I googled "dupont zyklon," and this thread was high on the list:

http://rodohforum.yuku.com/topic/611/Top......e?page=3

In that thread, there are allegations that DuPont acquired the Zyklon patents from IG Farben and continued practicing the invention. Moreover, the DuPont wikipedia page was scrubbed to suppress this fact.

Maybe they're a bunch of crackpots, but it would take longer than the 5 minutes I had budgeted to figure that out!

Which is all to say, perhaps your memory isn't as bad as you might think. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What Dow Chemical doesn’t want you to know about your water (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL