The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Street Performer Rules in Key West (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
The city of Key West has enacted strict street performer rules. Previously, they required a $100 permit. Now, the permit is $150.00 and you must have $300,000 liability insurance. They also restrict where you can perform-on Duval Street but not past Petronia, not on the first two blocks of Whitehead and other "place" restrictions. If there is a festival going on, you are not allowed to perform.
Mallory Square is still the same, these changes are only for street performing and not for the sunset celebration at Mallory Square.
What a shame. The control freaks are at it again.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That has been in the works for some time now.

I heard also that permits are only issued on one day every year and there are strict distance measurements from curbs and corners.
The commercial interests have won.
Very sad indeed.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Let's see...$150 for the permit + $250 for the insurance...
At $400 annually, you'd better be a pretty good busker.
To me, this smells of a great way to get rid of most of the street performers.
I'll bet City Hall is thanking Heavens for the tourist who was bitten by the lemur which stimulated this new law.
Bye bye
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5420 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
400.....sounds like a nice afternoon.....
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

You da man, Kozmo. On another tack, never let "the man" get you down. Adapt and overcome.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Not a afternoon on Duval Street.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Wonder if the panhandlers need permits too.
-Charles Schulz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Panhandlers don't stop traffic, buskers do. (If they're good.)
I am curious as to what the authorities in Key West claim these restrictions will accomplish.
Has there been some problems in the Square? Or at least, do they say there have been some problems?
If so, what in particular?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
...and I've killed yet another thread.
Ain't life unkind?"
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Wonder how long till someone challenges this requirement - epecially if its public property.

there are a few precedents already in the law books that favor buskers.

One recent one...
http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110612......12051411 supposedly the incident mentioned there spawned a larger suit that ended in favor of street entertainers.

I don't mind permits - when you can get them and you are on equal ground with other entertainers... but when they do the "one day only, and someone decides who gets them" deal - that's BS... it usually ends up being a corrupt situation.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Still wondering about the reasoning behind the new regulations.
Rules are not always bad, you know.
Ain't life unkind?"
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Sometimes permits SUCK, I've had to travel several hours and hundreds and hundreds of miles to get a permit just to be able to go back and busk on weekends...sortas a pain in the asstikasha.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
This is true. I'm lucky in that my permit was free and doesn't expire. It also has no teeth by which I mean it doesn't protect me very much (I did have one cop look at it, and my identification and say "go ahead," but in two cases the cops didn't want to see it (in one I didn't have it) and in one it didn't matter because the cop was going to move me on, permit or no permit. ("It says 'at police descretion' (sp), right? I won't have it!")

I'm just wondering if there was getting to be an over-crowding on the Square or if there had been incidents with buskers with more aggression than talent.

I can't believe someone in Key West got up one morning and said; "My God, I'm bored! Let's make life miserable for the buskers on the Square."
Ain't life unkind?"
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Here's some clarifications. First, Ed, the new rules have nothing to do with Mallory Square (see my original post). Mallory is the same as always. These rules are for STREET PERFORMERS i.e. Duval Street and elsewhere.

The "street performing license" is now available time/day that the city government offices are open. They did away with the "only available during this time..." requirement. However, the price went up to $150 from $100.

Rules, in this situation i.e. regulating your constitutional rights, are not a good thing.

There appears to be two things at work here. First, there were a couple uppity "squeaky wheels" on upper Duval who didn't want "these dirty bums" near their stores. The result being the city dictates what blocks of Duval street performers can work (below Petronia, not on Whitehead between Front and, I believe, Caroline among a number of other restrictions).

Second, insurance. The stated purpose of the insurance requirement was to bring street performers "in line" with other businesses. The underlying purpose seems to be to add another hoop for people to jump through and create a higher financial point of entry to lessen the number of people who would be able to afford to street perform. Since the annual fee was upped 50% this does not seem implausible. A "one-two punch to the wallet".

Mallory Square, being private property and managed by a board of individuals directly involved with selling, performing, etc. at Mallory, is not affected by any of these regulations.

So, there you go.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Do you need a performance reel in order to get the permit?
-Charles Schulz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thank you for the info. Yes, this is wrong. I don't know what to do, but this should be fought in court.
Ain't life unkind?"
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1890 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
.... and females must wear a full burka at all times during Fanasty Fest.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

No reel needed. just apply and describe what you do.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
"...and I've killed yet another thread."

Ed, I thought was the thread killer! Guess I'm going to have to trademark that title or get a license or something.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't know, there seems to be a lot of threads that end with my posts. Smile
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Street Performer Rules in Key West (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL