The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » The Only True Reputation Maker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 13:49, Howie Diddot wrote:
Joseph,

Would you share what I Phone apps you have?

Buzz

Search for this app in iTunes: 18,000 cool jokes
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Joseph;

I downloaded the free version, then after five minutes of advertising and other things going on to confuse me, I downloaded the version that cost me 99 cents, now it works perfectly,

Thanks for the tip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Joseph;

I have been reading the jokes on the program and I can see the value of it and it will give me a great advantage with helping me write my routine.

Thanks for telling me about it
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 10:23, Howie Diddot wrote:
Joseph;

I have been reading the jokes on the program and I can see the value of it and it will give me a great advantage with helping me write my routine.

No problem, just to follow what this forum is all about: "Ventriloquists Helping Ventriloquists" Smile

Just make sure that you "favorite" those jokes that you like for future references.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 11:25, Joseph_Then wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 10:23, Howie Diddot wrote:
Joseph;

Just make sure that you "favorite" those jokes that you like for future references.

Joseph;

Navigating the program is a bit challenging for me now, but I am getting used to tapping the correct buttons
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
And let me suggest again, "10,000 Jokes, Toasts and Stories" by Lewis and Faye Copeland. My copy is 48 years old (purchased new. I've been doin' this vent stuff for a long, long time. Some folks might suggest too long), so there's no ISBN, but it's a great resource. The jokes are referenced in the back by subject matter, and, though they are often pretty hoary, they're excellent jumping off points for routines. I saw an updated volume in a bookstore a few years back, so I'm thinkin' it's still in print.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Oops. Forgot to sign that.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;

There are some used book stores in san francisco, I will go look starting today

Buzz
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
You won't be disappointed, Buzz.
-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I will post here when I find and buy it
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Jokes tend to have a pattern, old or new, find what they have in common and relate them to your topic. There is old saying in magic, something along the lines "You will not get famous, or be original, if you can buy your act at the magic shop". But that is fame at the "National" level...so many confuse that with being a "40 miler" ---which is what A LOT of us want to do. Good Luck and hang in there!!!!!Jimewuax
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;

This book is not easy to find
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Really? 'S'funny. I've seen it in bookstores. Hm.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;

The two used book store I went into did not have it, I just ordered it on Amazon and should be here soon, thanks for the link

Buzz
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Absolutely. Smile

I just noticed they're selling one from 1965 brand new (which means, I guess, untouched by human hands for nearly fifty years)for $85 bucks. Heck, mine's older than that. I'm gonna be rich, I tells ya, rich!

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;

I purchased mine for the astronomical price of 1 cent, with the shipping of $3.99 for a total of $4.00, the description stated it was in very good used shape and the seller had a 100% feedback.

So sorry to say you will not add to your vast wealth attempting to sell this book
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-06-19 09:18, tacrowl wrote:
First I'd like to apologize to Buzz if he felt my comment was directed at him. It wasn't. There is nothing wrong with doing a purchased routine. You can develop a show that gives you a positive reputation, but the routine itself, IMO, will not be the "reputation maker". That is why I added the comment. Sorry if anyone misunderstood. It is my feeling (and maybe just mine) that when others are able to purchase the routine (not props) and do it the same way - it becomes standard.

Sorry for the rambling post - its a great topic Mr. Pitts! Thanks for starting it.

Tom,
I just noticed the comment when I reread your post, I never took your comment negatively and I understood the meaning of what you wrote
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
The great comedy writer, Robert Orben, once wrote in his book "Comedy Technique" that there are two kinds of comedy writers: the file writer and the creative writer. The file writer collects and files every joke that he / she hears and refers back to the file to get the comedy material they need. The creative writer actually creates the jokes that they use...often times relying upon jokes they have heard in the past and then writing a new joke or bit based upon this knowledge. Orben goes on to say that most writers are a combination of the two, and I think that is very true.

You can have the best and most original puppet in the world yet with nothing for it to say you don't go very far. Anyone can buy a puppet..it takes a comedic craftsman to put the words in the puppet's mouth the correct way. I've seen people with stock puppets do a brilliant job with a routine and I've seen people with custom made puppets (that had every conceivable animation or movement on them) fail miserably because the routine was terrible.

Oh, by the way, Mr. Orben also says there is no such thing as an old joke, bucause every new joke is usually based upon a joke that was created often many decades before. If they laugh ,it's a good joke..if they don't, it isn't! My caveat is that the joke must be in good taste (not vulgar or crude).

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » The Only True Reputation Maker (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL