The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph All Over Your Face (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Hey guys!

Here's a method for Triumph I've been working on that's based around one of my published moves, which is here used in a more covert manner. I hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPEr5RyzQc

Michael
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Looks great! I loved the use of your move - it definitely flew by me.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Thank you sir!! Glad you like it Smile I messed up the handling a little bit in the video, I should have been able to do running cuts and show the mixture of face up/face down cards before the climax. I didn't shuffle properly.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
Michael,

You are beginning to show maturity in the structuring of effects. A suggestion: do not perform the series of running cuts after the face up face down shuffle. Seeing all the cards face-up is inconsistent with the riffle shuffle. Instead, allow the face down selection to be on top after the riffle. Then give the cards a straight cut while casually noting that the upper packet has facedown cards on both sides while the card cut to is face up. It will provide a stronger sense of disorder.

-Don

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 7:37pm
Mike,

I missed your second post.Seems like you are on the right track. However, still consider a straight cut over the running cuts.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I can suggest a different/improved handling.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Best trick name ever
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Vernon's is still the best.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

My intention was never to try to top Dai Vernon! I'd be a lunatic to think I could, especially at my age and level of experience.

Glad you guys are diggin' it though! Benzi, would love to hear what you've got in mind.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Pete is correct you can't improve on the best
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I reiterate. When did I ever say I was trying to improve on Vernon's original?
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Michael,

The old guys just like saying that. Of course Vernon's work could be improved upon. He was a great magician. He improved on his own magic over his entire life. There is no canon in card magic. It is entirely possible you could improve on a Vernon trick. It would be ok if you did as well!

It's rumored he didn't perform Triumph as it is explained in Stars of Magic. I have it from good sources that this is actually his handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLH-ctrbQa8

Or not,

KG
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Thank you Ken! Certainly Vernon's work isn't immune to improvement, but improved by an 18 year old? Not very likely!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I know , a lot of my work is better than Vernon's but I would not want to improve on his triumph even if I could this is just pure respect for vernon
Come check out my magic.

KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Quote:
On 2011-06-24 23:48, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Thank you Ken! Certainly Vernon's work isn't immune to improvement, but improved by an 18 year old? Not very likely!

Age does not matter!
I am only a young magician, and I do not want to be patrnoized, I just wish to have the honest opinion. Smile
And you never know, you sure could improve on his work!
I mean, who was one of the best musical composers ever?
Mozart - 5 years old.

Keep up the awesome work!

Kyle
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Kyle,

Age does matter. It's just more impressive when a young guy is able to come up with good stuff. He's not so young any more but when I hear how young guys shouldn't publish then I think of Joshua Jay.

We shouldn't judge the quality of other people's magic based on age, experience or years they've been doing magic. The magic shouldn't be judged in any way. Lots of people contribute to the magic pool of stuff. I figure I'll take what I like, throw in a few chunks myself and not worry what other people think. Not all the stuff in the magic pool is good, to me. What I like and who's magic I like, is only important to me.

I believe Michael was being appropriately modest and speaking only of himself as he referred to an eighteen-year-old. That appropriate level of modesty is something I respect deeply. Many people who create new stuff are only rediscovering crap that was invented before they were born. Unless a young guy is incredibly well-read and versed in the history and sources then he, (or, of course, she), is probably not coming up with really great stuff.

Vinny, do you really think a lot of your stuff is better than Vernon's. That's a tall statement to make. You're not a young guy. I know you've been around for a long time. I'd like to hear a second take on that from you.

Comparing ourselves to other magicians or what they've contributed is a waste of time. Vernon and the people who wrote up his material have provided us the what many consider to be the very bedrock of modern card magic. Comparing yourself to Vernon is inane.

Let's only worry about performing the best magic we possibly can. Who invented the effects you choose to perform simply isn't very important to the people watching your magic. It should be about the magic you're putting out into the world.

I don't use any of Vinny's stuff and I haven't seen any of Kyle's work, although I understand he's quite prolific. I've seen lots of Vinny's stuff on-line and was lucky enough to see him perform live at a convention.

It takes a special person to create, codify and get into print, truly new material. It takes a genius to do that with really good material. I see very little new card magic I would use.

For me the modern masters seem to all be speaking Spanish these days. If you can't read Spanish, you guys make sure to get the new Tom Gagnon book. Tom's no youngster and he knows more about card magic and has more great, original material than the summation of all the people posting on this thread. (ok, we'd probably have to subtract Ben out of that equation, Ben's top-flite, nah . . . Tom's stuff is that good!)

KG
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On 2011-06-24 01:23, Pete Biro wrote:
Vernon's is still the best.

mean while back at the ranch....who cares if you think vernon's is the best! Michael didn't say his was, get over yourself and go post somewhere else if you can't be nice.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Nice to the point effect and patter--not in love with your own voice or meandering on forever like some You Tube posters.

I think you used a webcam--they're crap and blurry when it comes to rapid movement so, from a magic perspective, you could shunt an elephant in and out of shot on web cam without it being seen.

I'm sure you or your folks have a digital camera that you could plug into your PC and get a much better result. I've done this and bought a tripod for about 15$ which means I have HD quality camera sat on my desk at all times.

I find it great for practicing angles.

Good stuff though
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Kent I'm not comparing my self to Vernon, I don't think anyone can. You probably don't use any of my material because you can't or never took the time to learn. or dfont know about my techniques , I am also talking about my coin work as well as cards...
I believe if Vernon was alive today he would enyoy my work and what I have offered to the magic community.
I create magic so others might take a chance and use what I offer in their arsenal.
some like my work others don't and then there are those that are afraid to take the risk
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-25 14:55, Ray Chelt wrote:
Nice to the point effect and patter--not in love with your own voice or meandering on forever like some You Tube posters.

I think you used a webcam--they're crap and blurry when it comes to rapid movement so, from a magic perspective, you could shunt an elephant in and out of shot on web cam without it being seen.

I'm sure you or your folks have a digital camera that you could plug into your PC and get a much better result. I've done this and bought a tripod for about 15$ which means I have HD quality camera sat on my desk at all times.

I find it great for practicing angles.

Good stuff though

I'm sorry my voice isn't to your liking. But I can't change it, unless I were to walk around with a fake accent for the rest of my life.

I do have a much better camera, as you will be able to see in most of my other videos.... I only used my laptop's webcam because I only wanted to make a quick demonstration video of something I'm workshopping.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Vinny, you wrote:

"I know , a lot of my work is better than Vernon's"

That's a comparison. As I look back on that line you wrote, I'm just glad I didn't write it. Then you wrote:

"You probably don't use any of my material because you can't or never took the time to learn. or dfont know about my techniques , I am also talking about my coin work as well as cards..."

I can't . . . I don't think you have appraised my skill level very highly. As for taking time . . .

I don't use your stuff Vinny because I'm on a different path. I know many, many people enjoy the things you post and sell. I've always learned from books. I'm too old to change that. The only material I've ever thrust upon the magic community was in book form. I doubt you even know it exists. I'm not arrogant enough to accuse you of being unable to learn it or use it though. I simply realize you are not interested in it.

We differ in our approach to magic. I've seen a bunch of the things you've posted though. My path lies in a different direction. You're an "in the face guy". I'm glad it works for you. I'm more a subtlety and practice kinda guy.

You put out tons of your material for sale and you're more than generous sharing your work. I don't come up with tons of stuff. If I put something up on youtube, it's things I feel I have polished enough to share. The cups routine I worked on for five years before I put it up. The triumph routine I'd worked on for much longer. You churn stuff out all the time. I think we have different creative processes. It's all good. You have a huge following, I have a cat.

I assume lots and lots of magicians use your stuff. I'm not looking for others to follow in my path. I seriously doubt anyone on earth aside from myself uses the few things I do. For me, I think that's the way it should work. Most magicians rarely if ever come up with truly original material that breaks new ground. Most that do come up with stuff are under-informed and ill-read. The vast majority of new material I see is either already in print or simply not very good. These are my standards and don't need or even want other people to share them. In my entire magic life I have two things I'm proud of and am quite certain are completely original.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight here Vinny. We've met face-to-face and enjoyed watching you work. I truly believe you're putting out the finest magic you possibly can. You're sharing and friendly. Most in magic will never have the influence you do, especially here on the Café.

We're just into magic for different reasons but I know we both love magic fully. That's all that matters. That's all!

Kent

PS. Michael I'm sorry being a part of derailing your thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Triumph All Over Your Face (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL