The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing With Fire For Kids (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
What do you guys think of performing fire illusions for kids? I mean, I do (sometimes), but I'm starting to hear some really bad stories about kids picking up a tissue, thinking that it will work like flash paper and burning themselves badly.
Cheers!
Shadow Dancer
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Children's entertainers must always be careful not to perform any effect whereby a child may hurt themselves if they tried to duplicate it later.

At one party I performed at, I did a few small illusions for some 7 year olds before the party actually started (I was performing at a friend's house). One of the effects was the Coin Bite (folding coin). I later saw one of the 3 year olds, whom I didn't know was in the area, putting a penny in her mouth to try and bite a piece off. Smile

Some of these effects may play big to the young ones, but in the long run, is the risk worth it?

There's a similar thread on here that I started some time ago called "Never Again!" Check it out.

Brian
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
39 years of "Fire Magic" for kids with NO Problems what-so-ever!!! I produce a Baby Dragon (Chinchilla) out of a fire pan (and kids know Dragon's have fire). For those above 7 years old I do Jay Sankey's "In a Flash" and I now do "WireGram". Never had a kid do anything but I do prep them.
Yours,
Aragorn TM
aka: Bob Suhr Smile
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Brian, What forum is "Never Again!" in? It sounds interesting.
Cheers, Shadow Dancer
<br> AlbertEinstein
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Nope. Never. Not after I saw a very negligent magician almost burn down a school's portable classroom. This same magician later taught fire effects to kids and has done other "danger" tricks for kids. He's going to hurt someone someday.

Frankly, I don't use fire in any of my shows at this point, although I have in the past. I currently have no need for it.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Aragorn, I've never thought about dragons etc, and involving fire with them. Duh! Good going with having no problems with fire and kids, but has anything ever gone wrong, that has to do with fire in one of your acts?
<br> AlbertEinstein
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Deja Vu! Smile

Shadow Dancer, the "Never Again!" thread is here in the children's section. You can do a search for it.

Brian
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I saw Payne's Harry Potter show at a public library this summer. First trick out of the gate was a "Fickle Fire" type effect. Later a flaming book showed up.
Both pieces were great and made perfect sense the way they were employed - the flaming book was text book on dragons.
One thing to note here, no matches or cigarette lighters were used, no items like paper, etc. were ignited. Both effects were pure eye candy, no dangerous behaviors were demonstrated which could be emulated later with risk of injury. For example, Payne just reached into a magic bag and pulled out a handful of fire, then put it back. A child could try to do this all day long and not risk burning anything.
Fire is a dangerous element that all children are familiar with. And after you finish your birthday party show, Mom is going to ignite a cake and put it under the child's nose!
Be responsible, but never say never! Smile
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Shadow Dancer,
No problems so far. Like Scott said the parents put a cake aflame in front of them. Besides, I'm protected by "BOG".
Yours,
Aragorn TM
aka: Bob
ps: "BOG" = personal diety of "Cheech Wizard & Aragorn the Magician"...LOL Smile
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I personally do not use fire in my kid focused shows. I just feel it is my responsibility if a child goes home and hurts him/herself from trying to mimic what looked like "magic." To me, i am not presenting a good example to the kids.

Also, fire effects and use of fire in acts is a bit more difficult to perform with. There are many new and stringent fire codes set in place these days. Sometimes this really inhibits a performer who really must rely on the use of flames for his act or show.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
I don't worry about including fire in my show because the only trick that I do now that uses fire is lighting my Fantasio candle.

I used to open my show with burning gloves to dove where the flames were quite large and sometimes unmanageable. Back in those days, I didn't fear that children would imitate the trick, but I worried a lot that I might set off the fire alarm (when performing in a hotel or restaurant) or ignite the party decorations and burn somebody's house down.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I once set off the fire alarm at the Hilton Hotel in Guam and they were almost forced to evacuate the whole place.
It was there fault however as we had cleared the the use of fire with them before the performance and they had turned the alarm off for us the night before, they just forgot to turn it off for the show the next day.

This is a problem with using fire in public spaces. I have performed in hotels whose alarms were so sensitive that even flash paper would set them off.

Usually in situations like this it's easier just not to use fire.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
"When in doubt...leave it out."
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I'm thinking about adding my dove pan to my show. I would do the routine where u put all the "stuff" into the pan, then add "magic juice" (really lighter fluid), then throw in a match and cover it up. Then have there be the object in the pan.

I would NOT use this effect for little kids, but older only.

What would be a good BEAR MINIMUM for performing a trick like this?

Thanks,

Evan
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use "The Flaming Head Chest" in my act when the crowd is 3rd grade or higher. When I put the fire thru someone's head I don't open the front door. I always pull a small burnt up head from the top. I always explain "Don't play with fire", or "Don't take drugs."

One day the fire alarm with off too, like Payne's. But I was in a church. The pastor had to cancel the fire department.

I always perform that trick on the company president or some other CEO. The audience loves to see that happen.
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
I work with kids every day and they ALWAYS try to do what I do---Especially the Vanishing silk and appearing quarter---it is enough to convince me that they will try to emulate everything I do---SO -- anyway----I own my home and I would like to keep it so I don't do anything potentially dangerous--think about it--------------------Cheers!---Jimo
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Evan,

I do a lot of Fire Magic and I would NOT suggest the lighter fluid. It is a liquid that can slosh, drip, etc. I would recommend Flash Paper for the effect.
Yours,
Aragorn the Magician
aka: Bob Smile
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Thanks Bob,

That does seem like a much better idea.

Thanks for the advice,

Evan
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
If the kids know where the fire comes from, they could try it and hurt themselves. If they DON'T know, then I think it's fine. For instance: If you use matches to light some flash paper, the kids might try to play with matches. But if you have a self lighting dove pan, and the lighting mechanism isn't there, then the can't try it, because they think it's magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing With Fire For Kids (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL