The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Looking for Kassner Information (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of lehmannbindery
I'd like to learn more about the German Illusionist Alois Kassner and would appreciate any suggestions as to where to look.
Thanks,
Frank Lehmann
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think Richard Hatch just wrote or translated a book about the Jewish magicians of Germany before WW II, which was when Kassner's act first took off. I'll see if I can find more information about it for you.

If you can read German, I'm reasonably certain that some of the material from the Magischer Zirkel von Deutschland would have information about him. He was born in 1878 and died in 1970.

The German wikipedia has a little bit of material about him:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Kassner

There are some bibliographical references there, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Bill,
Thank you. I appreciate the leeds, which I will follow up on.

I'm particularly interested in hearing what happened to Kassner during the war. I've heard stories that either Kalanag stole his show or helped him escape from Germany. I'd also love to find any information on when and where he was performing. My father saw him perform in the early 20's in East Prussia.

Frank
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A number of people reported that Kalanag had pinched Kassner's show; however, Kassner, himself is supposed to have stated that Kalanag helped him escape.

Maybe Dick Hatch can help you with this. Since this is a very public forum and there are "bots" that spam people, I won't put his e-mail address here, but you can reach him via magicbookshop.com . His e-mail address is based there, and his name at that address is richard .
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Thanks, Bill!

I'll email Richard.

Do you know if the Magischer Zirkel von Deutschland's "Magie" is either online or digitally available? I've found their website but it doesn't have much information on Kassner (my German is a bit rusty, but I was able to read most of it).

Thanks again,
Frank
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't think it is. You might try e-mailing Card-shark. He lives over there and should know who to contact.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lehmannbindery
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Thanks for the lead, Bill.

Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Looking for Kassner Information (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL