The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Something other than a PURSE to put coins in... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dave s
View Profile
New user
new york
87 Posts

Profile of dave s
Hey all,

I am currently using a black coin purse to hold three half-dollars and an expanded shell. I think the purse looks a little "un-manly" and was wondering what other people recommend. I've thought about using a drawstring bag of some sort, but I’m not really sure. I would like the container to be 1) normal looking 2) gender appropriate - most guys don't carry little change purses 3) classy enough to use in a professional situation. if you have something in mind, please list where it can be purchased.
Thanks!!!!

- Dave s.
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Most guys I know either don't carry coins or if they get change, throw it in their pocket until they can dump it on the dresser at home or put it in the "penny jar," or what-have-you.

That being said, the few times I've seen guys with coin purses they've been the squeezy oval shaped plastic/rubber things that are flat and have a slit down the middle - although that WAS years ago.

There is another type of coin purse available in leather which is flat and has a spring steel closure enclosed in the leather. You basically squeeze the ends towards the middle and it pops open, then springs shut when you relax. This is a little classier than the rubber kind and not so wifty as the kind with the little clasp ala the "purse frame." I believe they are available at leather goods stores. You might try googling for them as well.

Maybe, if you're a magician, you don't need a purse...you just get what you need from the air, under items on the table or the audience's ears...

I'm looking for a clear plastic coin purse and I don't care if it is the wifty kind with a purse frame. However I don't want flowers or cartoons on it, just a clear plastic purse...I have googled for them and no luck so far...Bueller...Bueller....Anybody?

fwiw,
tr
Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I use one of the purses and cover it with a line in a routine I do about relationships.

"If you ever have a guy who is NOT a magician approach you with one of these," gesture with the purse, "RUN, do not walk for the nearest exit - fast!" Wink and grin. They'll get the idea.

I've also used some miniature Crown Royal bags for carrying coins. I use the old line, "Well, when one conjures, one calls upon the spirits," show bag's logo. "Only the finest spirits for THIS crowd!"

Using the mini bags, you can have 2 or 3 of them in your pocket and switch them easily and with little suspicion. Just make sure you time misdirect when you do it!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
If I'm walking around, I just keep my coins on my pockets lol Smile At home, they just sit on my table.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Where do you get the miniature Crown bags?

I have found dice bags from gaming stores work well. You can keep separate coin set ups in them, especially helpful with gaffed coins.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
How about a marble bag? If you want separate pockets you could just sew some in there.... If you know how. Smile
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
In Europe you can buy all kinds of coin purses, with compartments for different denominations.

Waiters use 'em.

I would just look around various places, mall shops, drugstores, etc. and see what's there.

How about coin/pay envelopes?

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
I think that Roger Klause's Purse Frame four coin production is a great way to start any routine
It's Fun to be Fooled
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
If you are talking about effects with the purse frame, check out Big Coin Little Purse Routine in the video "Any Questions" by Garrett Thomas.
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
dave s
View Profile
New user
new york
87 Posts

Profile of dave s
Mark,

I have heard some TREMENDOUS things about this routine. I’ll have to get the video. to everyone else - thanks for your help. I'm going to track down a nice looking black leather 'bag' with a squeeze top opening. I’ll let you know what I find......
magicsk8er
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of magicsk8er
I just use my wallet for coins and packet tricks
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
That is what I do with my coins! Excelent advice.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Because I'm a bizarre / Renaissance performer, I carry my coins in a small wooden box. It fits in my leather belt pouch quite easily.

---Malak
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of wcb39
I like the small velveteen draw string bags. Look elegant but are super cheap.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
http://themagicwarehouse.com/coins.html#co1163

That's a page with some things to hold coins it has a coin wallet that holds a lot of coins and it's like $20 and then some coin bags for like 90 cents.
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I bought a smart card reader from http://www.fujifilm.com and got a little leather pouch for smart media that clips to your belt. It's small and I have a total of eight half dollars for quarters a gaffed quarter and a shim. It works great. Granted you have to spend $20 for the smart reader to get it for free, but you might be able to find one some place else.

Low Phat Smile
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
If you are worried about seeming unmanly try these. They are coin purses made from toads. You can get them with or without legs. Smile

http://www.roopooco.com/coinpurse.htm
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I used to use a Sock Purse. It worked fine as a cloth pad to put on the front of a chair to deaden the sound doing a "leave" during a Slydini routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I carry my coins in a Roy Kuepper leatherette coin folder. It opens on both sides and has six sections to hold coins and when it is folded shut, it keeps each coin effect separate and stays shut with velcro. Roy Kuepper makes special props for Burton, Copperfield, etc. I paid around $10 Canadian for the holder. I wish I had purchased more of them.

Darryl the Wizard Smile Smile Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Another option if all you care about is what the audience sees:

You could buy a coin dropper and just retrieve the coins before the trick and "magicially" produce them. Then use a sleeve pocket or topit or just a regular pocket to vanish them/ditch them. You could keep them in a regular cheap coin purse when not working.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Something other than a PURSE to put coins in... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL