The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » How much? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I've been working on a stage routine for quite some time now...It's been in the works for over a year. Now, I've been practicing the routine about 6 months now. The thing is that I often change the routine! Generally speaking, it's the structure of the routine that I change. Anyhow, the past 2-3 months I've been practicing VERY SERIOUSLY. See, I'm a college student and I often have much free-time to practice. If I had to estimate, I'd say that I practice NO LESS than four hours a day but on average 6-8 hrs.(did that make sense?) Anyhow, I've recently noticed that rahter than getting better, it seems like things are getting worse! So, I ask, is there a point when one should say to themselves "That is enough" and just do it (you know, go out and perform the routine)?... Is it like sports training; are there certain times in practice when you are your best, like athletes are in conditioning/endurance...Can anyone help???
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
You can always improve. Period. Then again, you can "overwork" some things. Evaluate your routine (write things down on paper), things you have tried and like, perhaps more than others, but, keep your original intentions in mind. Keep in mind that even though you may learn newer techniques/sleights,etc. you do not have to scrap the older methods you have learned. Use the ones that achieve the effect in the way you originally intended or the way you want to achieve it now that you may know more methods. Keep the flow of routine smooth. Video tape it. Are you doing ten moves to accomplish something when three will do?

I make my living in music and can say that you can write an excellent song and then get bored with it and add stuff, take things away and wind up with a song that is not as strong as it was originally.

Just because you may be tired (or bored) of doing something a certain way, keep in mind that your audience has not seen it at all!

Video tape the routine if you can. Record it using different techniques/methods but, don't do it all the variations on the first take. Video the routine several times utilizing the different ideas you have had. Review the tape and performances closely. Decide which one you like best and the one that creates and achieves the idea the best. Sure, you can customize, but, as you are well aware, be careful doing so. There are more than one way to "skin a cat", but, you can't use then all on the same cat!! Smile All the best, Lee. Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
What aspects are getting worse? Are you not hitting the technical aspects of the routine as often or as cleanly as you like? Or do you think the presentation is flat or losing energy?
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Sometimes the more you practice, the more flaws are revealed. You can use this as a chance to overcome your problems.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Remember that practice makes permanent not perfect. If you practice a lot and make the same mistake you will burn it in. I think it is critical to practice and review so you can review what happened in your practice session and make adjustments to get it right. Once you are doing it right then practice hard and burn in the right moves etc.
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
One thing to keep in mind that I found out the hard way was to practice in the same type of clothing you will be in when you perform. I had been practicing in a T-shirt, and then when I went to perform in a suit and tie, I found that I kept contacting the tie with my hand which moved it quite a bit. It made the audience suspicious. Also your mobility can be somewhat limited while wearing a suit. I now practice with my suit on once I have fully learned an effect. While learning, I don't worry about that as much. Any thing that is different when in the suit will be worked out when I get to the point that I put the suit on in the later practice sessions.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Seems to me like a well-deserved break is order. Practicing 6-8 hours per day can drain you, and therefore drain your presentation. Roy, you started this thread almost a year ago...how are things going?

Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » How much? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL