The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring & Ribbon by Shigeru Sugawara (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of T.House
I saw this advertised on the Magic Café. Is anyone familiar with it? The video looks good.

Bruce
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
I purchased this from Seo Magic, after viewing the demo online. While it's on the pricey side, I personally like it, and think it is deceptive. Here's another thread about it:

The Magic Café Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » SEO Ribbon and Ring

Well, cutting and pasting the title didn't seem to create the link I had hoped for, but it's in the Boxes, tubes, and bags section as indicated.

It didn't impress everyone, but I'm happy that I purchased it. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to use it much yet though.

Doug
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
Let me see if this is a better way to get a link into that other post. It's too cumbersome to try to find it, especially when it's like 3 pages in.

Hope this helps:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=8&24

Doug
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of T.House
Hi Doug,

Yes that did help a lot. Thank you for the link.

Bruce
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Unfortunately no one seems to use this yet and can post an honest and accurate review of it. The video looks good (but why wouldn't it?) but that's all we really have so far.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I own it and love it, although I haven't had a chance to do it in front of a real audience.

I'll say that it looks just as good in person as it does on the video. I thought the way the ring is held was a bit awkward looking, so I've changed that to using just two fingers and a thumb.

I agree with what was posted in the other thread, it's pricey for what it is and would have been a better deal at $35. I guess if someone didn't want to pay full retail, you could always wait for it to come up for sale here or ebay. I'll use it, so I don't feel like I wasted the money.

On the other thread there was a discussion about painting the ring. I don't know if the ring would be as deceptive. I think a white ring against a dark shirt/jacket makes it more deceptive. Painting it a darker or metallic color may affect it.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I've looked at the video demo, and I guess I'm not sure what all the talk is about. I do, as I'm sure a lot of you as well, a much more impression routine of ring and rope, using a solid brass ring, and a either a length of rope, or shoelace. Both completely ungimmicked, and gets great reactions. I think I spent $15 on the brass ring.
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
How about a seamless 3" Brass Ring (no welds!) for $3.49

Here's my TOP SECRET SOURCE! http://www.reefscuba.com/brass_rings.htm

Now go to Sports Authority and grab a nice looking long shoe lace.

Learn a routine... rinse... repeat.

sdmagic
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
NOW you're talkin'.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Nice brass rings.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
What attracted me to this routine is how visual the penetrations can be. Everything is very, very clean. I don't like most of the moves used in ring & rope routines. I'm not saying you don't get good reactions and I can't say if this does or not, having not tried it in front of an audience.

There are pros and cons to many things in magic and putting down someone's preference isn't adding to the topic. If you have a routine and have no intention on buying this, I guess you have nothing to add.

The biggest con of this routine is that you cannot do it close-up. It's a parlor/stand-up effect. But that's about the only con. This can be examined before and after if you wanted to routine it that way. I think having the props examined before is important, especially when you're using your own ring (as opposed to a borrowed finger ring).

You just cannot beat the visual penetrations with this effect. As I previously posted, the way he holds the ring in the demo is awkward and doesn't have to be held that way. I can make it look much cleaner, just at fingertips.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Domino can you put up a demo with you performing this effect
it looks great
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
I have to agree with Domino. I usually refrain from saying anything that has a potential to spark any negativity. I've seen how threads can go bad quickly, and can turn away from being helpful. In my earlier posts, I attempted to say that I personally enjoy it, I think it's deceptive, and I'm not at all new to the magic community. It's very visual. Not being as familiar with ring and rope routines, this one fooled me from the demo, and at this stage in life, I enjoy being fooled, it's to me what makes magic so much fun.

I appreciate those who have mastered sleight of hand routines and have other methods of accomplishing things. I almost felt guilty by buying it and not being able to provide a review. I guess that's my own fault though.

Domino Magic, would you care to share how you handle the ring, either here or in a PM to me?

Doug
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I'm not sure how offering a opinion is seen as sparking negativity. It's just an opinion. To each his own. By all means, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from purchasing this. If you have the money, you like it, and your audiences enjoy it, that's all that matters.
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
Hi Corbett, I wasn't intending my comments toward you, nor anyone specifically. I apologize if it came across that way.

As I mentioned in the ealier post, I'm not that familiar with ring and rope routines, I saw this demo and loved the visual. The only other ring and rope (string really) routine that I bought because I saw a demo was Fantasma's Ring Escape. I'd love to see more/read more of the types of routines you mentioned, but that would be stealing from this particular topic/thread.

This area of the Café' is not one that I frequent, so I will begin by reading through older threads here.

Doug
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
No apologies necessary.
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Great looking live demo, posted by World Magic Shop this weekend https://www.facebook.com/worldmagicshop/......3846759/
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I wonder if I can just get the dvd, or do I have to buy both ????
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wally, there is a gimmicked ring, so it would do little good to sell just the DVD.

I guess you could contact SEO Magic and see if they have a damaged product do to shipping or a return, and see if they will sell you the DVD from that only.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2017, Magic1 wrote:
Great looking live demo, posted by World Magic Shop this weekend https://www.facebook.com/worldmagicshop/......3846759/

yeah, this really looks fantastic...looks like SEO is currently out of it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring & Ribbon by Shigeru Sugawara (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL