The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Where do you store your money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 07:04, joe yang wrote:
When I was tied up, I would hop around with the bowl, admonishing the specs to tip before I finished and they ran off. That was just for laughs, I always passed the bowl after closing.

You can also put money into the bowl yourself during the show ... I do that with my tip jar a lot. I'll do a trick with a dollar bill and then drop the bill into the tip jar.

The static tip jar also has the advantage that you can work both a trickle and flush with it.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
If you don't trust the neighbourhood you exchange it to paper money, and store the bills in your pants our socks...
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 14:29, The Great Zoobini wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 01:44, MagiCol wrote:
$5 that I put in the hat as an encourager for donations [I can't think of the name for that encourager at the moment - somebody remind me

"seed" or "seeding" the hat in order to grow it

or not...

if you trickle...

one clever busker I've saw once have a kind of small basket like an ashtray, where people put the money and could only see the last coins putted in the basket... like people thinking "the guy will see my coin"

This guy could busk in hell
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Good thread. Joe Joe, in all my years of playing with Bill From Orange, it never occurred to me to put the torn bill into my bowl. It will be the opening bit next Season.
aka Mike Booth
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Two weeks ago I had a young man who said he was dropping money into the hat, but all I saw was his hand coming out with a wad of bills. I wasn't sure how much had been in the hat so I really couldn't prove anything since he didn't take all of it. Since then t I've started pocketing the money after each group or show and only leaving seed money in the hat. I like the idea of attaching the seed money to the hat in a semi permanent manner.
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
I've had money stolen out of my tip jar which hangs off the front of the table when working the market (they have some weird rules: mutate, adapt, and evolve). This kid dipped and ran, I followed for about three steps before realizing I was leaving the rest wide open and went back.

Now I keep a small stuffed eagle in my tip jar (it's actually a painted coffee can so you know the dimensions). I have hat lines built into the show, so when I finish people are putting money both into the hat on the table and the tip jar. I move the money from the hat into the jar, and then pull the stuffed animal up and put it back down on top of the cash. This keeps the cash squashed to the bottom, makes sure anyone that tries the dip and run only ends up with a stuffed animal (has happened twice since and both dropped it about half-way down the block when they realized what they'd grabbed), and also has the unexpected benefit of kids that know what type of stuffed animal it is and wanting to talk about it, which is always an instant crowd build.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"This kid dipped and ran, I followed for about three steps before realizing I was leaving the rest wide open and went back."
Yeah, that's the problem. Pointless to chase after a few dollars while leaving your more valuable gear open to anyone else stealing it while you're away.
The presentation makes the magic.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I have two zippered money bags you can get from any office supply store. The bad thing is it looks like a money bag. The good thing is it works like a money bag. The second my tips slow down I place my hat on my case and put a bandana on top of the cash so it can't blow away. If a person was slow to come up or had to go to the ATM, which happens almost every show, they can still drop it in my hat that is in plane sight I reset. Then I pull all of it out of my hat, stuff it in a money bag and put that in my case.

I use two so I can separate them in two cases. Perhaps I'm paranoid but my father was a cop and I have heard horrible stories. I figure if I was robbed on my way to the car I could give them one money bag and still have half a days pay for myself. I doubt it will ever happen. The other reason for two bags is if it's a good day it won't all fit in one!

Then again you can get robbed in another way. The establishment in which I work towed my truck the other night because the front two wheels were on the grass. There were no signs and I had been parking there for several weeks. Last night there were three cars all the way on the grass just where I had parked the night before. It cost 80% of my days work to get my truck back so I could go home. I'll be talking to said establishment this week in order to get a permit or a parking space. I was a little ticked off about it but kept my cool. I looked at the man that owned the towing company and said "Well at least someone is making money tonight." UHG...
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Quote:
On 2011-06-28 03:40, JoeJoe wrote:
I prefer the tip jar. I liken it to the ABC's of sales ... "always be closing". When people walk-up, they see the tip jar ... I am closing from the moment they see my "stage". And it's a large jar so I don't need to do anything with it through-out the night.

-JoeJoe

I have been told to not do a tip jar or box whatever you may use. Simply because people may walk away with it. Guess some have done so how do you manage to avoid theifs?
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-28 04:17, Eduardo wrote:
Usualy I put it in the pouch... I only be happy whem my cervical start to bend... I'm not totaly happy with this one... but

My pouch has a zipper pocket in back for money.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-28 10:52, Dave V wrote:
If you have a bag, tie it to your table. It's easy to grab and run. Not so easy with a table dragging behind you.

Awsome but what if you don't use a table?
Jeremy Gates
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I keep mine right next to my concealed weapon.

JUST KIDDING!!
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 13:10, Rotten wrote:
I have two zippered money bags you can get from any office supply store. The bad thing is it looks like a money bag. The good thing is it works like a money bag. The second my tips slow down I place my hat on my case and put a bandana on top of the cash so it can't blow away. If a person was slow to come up or had to go to the ATM, which happens almost every show, they can still drop it in my hat that is in plane sight I reset. Then I pull all of it out of my hat, stuff it in a money bag and put that in my case.

I use two so I can separate them in two cases. Perhaps I'm paranoid but my father was a cop and I have heard horrible stories. I figure if I was robbed on my way to the car I could give them one money bag and still have half a days pay for myself. I doubt it will ever happen. The other reason for two bags is if it's a good day it won't all fit in one!

Then again you can get robbed in another way. The establishment in which I work towed my truck the other night because the front two wheels were on the grass. There were no signs and I had been parking there for several weeks. Last night there were three cars all the way on the grass just where I had parked the night before. It cost 80% of my days work to get my truck back so I could go home. I'll be talking to said establishment this week in order to get a permit or a parking space. I was a little ticked off about it but kept my cool. I looked at the man that owned the towing company and said "Well at least someone is making money tonight." UHG...

Along with what Rotten describes above... I think it is in a Whit Haydn book he explains how buskers used to carry a duplicate money bag filled with washers. They would give the decoy bag to the thieves then be far from danger when the thieves open the dummy bag and realize they had been duped. The same could be accomplished with what Rotten uses or with simple small size duffle bags, just cut newspaper into dollar size pieces, put in bag, then litter the top of bag with 10 one dollar bills.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I would imagine you'd have to reconsider going back to that spot for awhile afterwards, they could come back and look for you.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
I would definitely reconsider where I am working if I was robbed there. I don't want to be killed over money.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
My pouch from Frank Starsini has a zippered pocket in the back. After each show I put the money in there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Where do you store your money? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL