The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Invisible Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Hey friends, here I am with another video. Hope you like..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWTtg2q9Ww
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Being a big fan of the Invisible Palm Aces/Open travelers, I've studied every handling, presentation, and variation I could find - which is a LOT. It's been a very popular plot over the last few decades.

I have to say the version you're doing is the one I see most often performed and is also one of the easiest to "get away with", but in my opinion it sucks. That is, of course, only my personal opinion. If you care to know WHY I think it sucks, review pages 67 - 69 in Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic. He explains it far more eloquently than I ever could.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL no worries TW I love all comments. I agree that there are versions out there that I have seen and believe me that they well surpass this verison. With that being said, when I first saw this and then learned it I was fooled badly by it so when I learned it that way I just kinda stuck with it. Its not an effect I do OFTEN because I have always had a fear of the cards that lay, were going to flash or were out of my reach for spectators to reach for but every once in a while I do it and since it was the only version that I Learned I just kinda stuck with it. But as far as I can remember when I do decide to do this effect, to laymen I have always wowed them with it. And for the time being I am content with that. No this isn't something you would see me do at a lecture among other magicians, unless I was looking for advice or a critique. WHich is what I tend to do when I post on here for you guys to watch. So thanks again TW, and if you were so kind could you give me other refrences to learn other alternatives. OR at least give them a look.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Best "one-stop" source for researching this effect is Kaufman's Jennings 67, wherein more than 40 pages are devoted to a chapter entitled "Evolution of a Classic Routine" 'Invisible Palm Aces'". Variations can be found from many other sources, but this treatise ought to be enough to get your juices flowing pretty good.

When you go look at new cars you'll find that they all have the same basic construct - a motor, four tires, a gas peddle, a steering wheel, brakes... So why are some new cars less than $20k and some more than $250k? How can they possibly sell a single Bentley when those entry-level Hyundais are so darn easy [to afford]? Because, in any market, there is a certain desire for the best. A top notch handling of IPA/Open Travelers can be a real centerpiece to your act. Or you can drive a Hyundai...

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8625 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Some of them Hyundai's are pretty nice. Smile

Basically this one is sorta like yours P but perhaps a better driver makes a Hyundai look and feel like a Bentley. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRKTDvjM......C60D9F66

Incidentally, I liked your version of it but yeah TW raises some good points as to "good, better, best" I guess. But if you can't afford a Bentley then that's about when you find out if other rides are good enough for where you're going and how you get there. Smile Most times and most people rarely experience "the best" of anything and I'm not quite sure that if they did, they'd truly be any better. Just my 2 cents. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27082 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
TW, what's your feeling about Alton Sharpe's writeup of the item in Expert Card Mysteries?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
All you guys have been great at educating me on this premise. I will look into other versions. But my criteria would still have to be something that can be done strolling maybe even on the floor if need be but I tend to stay away from seated version only cause I rarely find myself in those situations. that's why versions like Jennings and others that I have seen required a cop, which I'm not the biggest fan off for MY style or lapping but now I'm curious and off to my library to see what I have missed.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
972 Posts

Profile of helder
My advice is:

-Don't slide your hand to the left when you make the card appear on the table. ( See Bill Malone tip in his On the Loose dvds)

-Also the tent vanish could be done much better, see how Bebel do it in his dvd.

- In the end, when you have the d... card in hand, handle it as a single, see how you handle a single, the move with the double have to be the same

- Watch David Stone version, Michael Vincent, Paul Harris, Larry Jennings

I'm learning it too.

Good luck,

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I have seen many magicians slide the hand when laying down the ace. To me this is a dead give-away of what is occuring.
Magic is a vanishing art.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL I love all the feedback, ill be honest some of it stings a bit but I need this in order to better myself. Now I know I can work on the handiling, but how about the performance in its self? Any advice, comments or feedback ?
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
972 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On 2011-07-02 21:04, edh wrote:
I have seen many magicians slide the hand when laying down the ace. To me this is a dead give-away of what is occuring.

Agree. Bill Malone tip it's great for this. Smile

Helder
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
972 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 01:52, paisa23 wrote:
LOL I love all the feedback, ill be honest some of it stings a bit but I need this in order to better myself. Now I know I can work on the handiling, but how about the performance in its self? Any advice, comments or feedback ?

About the performance, personally I don't like the traditional approach about the cards being invisible in the hand. Not for my taste but if fit yours go for it.
I'm working in a new presentation, maybe with music or another patter(teleportation,an experience of a mad scientist, something that I saw another magician do when I was a child...).

Hope this helps,

Helder
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
972 Posts

Profile of helder
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
That is an amazing routine and I loved it. But ima be honest here. Is it practical? I mean for a worker in room that is easily surrounded for three quarters of a room? All I'm saying is with perfect conditions, yeah that IS achieveable. Or in a contest maybe, but walkaround to perform that specific version standing up I think would be very hard.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 20:32, helder wrote:
A nice handling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLN4OmstUk&feature=related

Helder

Perfect for the camera... and not much else.

TW
andrewdodds
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Ca
75 Posts

Profile of andrewdodds
Agreed that would never fly live
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Invisible Palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL