The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Calendar puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
I had never kept a journal prior to the start of the new millennium.

I was recently looking through my old journal entries and found the following pair of odd observations, both made on the same day.

"Today's date plus the date of the fifth Wednesday of next month equals 40.

The date of the last Friday of last month plus the date of the third Monday of next month equals 52."

On what day (mm/dd/yyyy) were these observations made? (The observations were accurate!)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1190 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
08/10/2009
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1190 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
From the top, adding the last Friday (date = 28, 29, 30, or 31) to the third Monday (15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, or 21) and getting 52 is only possible if the values are 31 and 21. The sum of any other combination is too small. Since last month ended on a Friday, this month started on a Saturday, and it ended on a Monday (since the 21st of next month has to fall on a Monday). That makes this month a 31-day month. Since the last Friday of last month was the 31st, it, too, was a 31-day month. The only back to back 31-day months are July and August, this month is August.

The only August that started on a Saturday this millennium was in 2009. The 5th Wednesday of September will be the 30th (since our august starts on a Saturday and has 31 days). So today's date is 40-30, or 10.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Aug 10, 2009 is correct!
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Try this variant:

I started keeping a journal in 1981.

I was recently looking through my old journal entries and found the following pair of odd observations, both made on the same day.

"Today's date plus the date of the fifth Tuesday of next month equals 39.

The date of the last Friday of last month plus the date of the third Monday of next month equals 52."

These observations were NOT made on Aug 10. On what day were they made? (Give MM/DD/YYYY.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1190 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Very nice variant!

01/10/2000

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Calendar puzzle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL