The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Strange input behaviour » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
For the last few days, café input boxes have been accepting text so slowly while typing that it can take several seconds for a single typed word to appear. The cursor moves slowly to the right no matter how fast I type, continuing after I stop until it reaches the appropriate spot, all the while with no text appearing. Then finally it all appears at once. According to my updated virus software, my computer is clean. I type 55wpm but it has taken me almost 10 minutes to enter this. Any idea what is going on? It is almost unusable like this!

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
Doesn't happen to me like that, though I have had that kind of thing happen with text boxes in general when I've had many programs running. Do you have the clickable smilies going below the box? If so, try turning them off and see if the speed increases. It's the only thing I can think of - for me, the text boxes here act just like any other text box does. No speed problems at all.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Reg,
Try a shutdown and cold boot.
I have seen that problem at times on some users systems. Its not a function of the Café page (nor would it be on any webpage, as you are not engaging in real time on the site).

If it happens again, open up Word and see if it happens there, too. My guess is yes.

My suspicions are it has to do with Win systems not releasing resources. Win will do that when there are frequent open and close calls of applications, within a session.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Well, turning off the smilies made the difference although they had not been a problem before. After a hard boot, the problem persisted here although it did not occur in Word or on any other web page or in any other application. Once I turned them off though, it improved considerably. There is still a very slight drag, but it is much better. I'm going to try experimenting with my browser settings, clearing my net temp files, etc. I'll let you know if I find anything. Thanks for the help...

-Reg {*}

UPDATE: The problem seems to have something to do with the latest version of Internet Explorer (6.1, and the security patch for it, both tested), the smiley GIFs, and the reply text box. Even with the smilies off, the response in the text box in Explorer made it just too frustrating to use.

I switched to Netscape, where everything worked much quicker...except the reply text box would not show up at all while I had the "show smilies" preference set to "on". It just hung while loading them and never got any farther. After turning that preference off, the text box in Netscape (which I am using now) works the way it used to in Explorer before I upgraded to the newest security patches. Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but thought I should share.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Strange input behaviour » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL