The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
I have been searching like crazy to find a rubber or silicone ball the exact diameter of a ping pong ball 38mm or 40mm

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks

Mo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13357 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You're not the only one Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2612 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
MO,

Try your local party store or maybe here. . .

http://www.rnt2.com/index.php?dispatch=c......y_id=179

Good luck!
Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
Lol...Frank, you were on my list to contact.

I have been to every toy store, party shop, dollar store....

I do appreciate your suggestions though!

Mo
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Head over to TAP plastics and explain what you want. They have moulding/casting products that can get you what you need.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A 38 mm ping pong ball is almost exactly 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The match isn't good, because of the difference in the translucency of the ping pong ball vs the silicone ball.

You will need to paint both balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
One thought. you could use an actual pingpong ball with a small hole in it. then pickup some white RTV silicone at your hardware store (used as caulking around wet areas as well as a gasket maker) and fill the pingpong shell with the silicone. one it dries carefully slice the shell and extract your white silicone ball. trim the flashing from the filling hole.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I am not sure of what sizes they carry, but try http://www.rnt2.com and check their Load Ball category. They carry lots of interesting items.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Closest RNT2 gets in a rubber ball is 1 3/4" (45mm).
I think Lint has a good idea - I've done this same sort of thing with water to make ice balls in the freezer for a frozen final load. But my shell was made from the two round halves of a platic easter egg and was taped together so getting the ice ball out was easy.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Hardware store RTV requires moisture to cure (usually humidity in the air). I doubt that injecting standard RTV into a closed mold would ever cure. Think about it, if it did why doesn't it harden in the tube?

There are two part RTVs that are chemically cured, but it sounds like a lot of trouble to me. Do a Google search for industrial rubber or silicone balls. There are industrial suppliers all over the world that make and distribute balls in all size.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
Thanks all for the advice I'm still on the hunt and will check out some of the recommendations Dave gave...if anything turns up I will let you all know.

-Mo
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
Thanks all for the advice I'm still on the hunt and will check out some of the recommendations Dave gave...if anything turns up I will let you all know.

-Mo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The biggest problem with party shops is that if you order from them by mail, the sizes of the balls are never exactly what you expect them to be. I have ordered balls from one of the big party houses only to find that their 35 mm balls and their 40 mm balls were the same size. You have to take the balls you are going to use and match them up on the spot.

This said, the Fakini balls are very consistent. They are actually silicone balls. The ones you get from the party shops are not silicone balls, they are usually PVC balls or PVA balls, depending on the company involved.

Ozzy - you never said why you need them to be the same size. I don't need an exact answer, but what I need to know is if you need to be able to have one of them pass for the other.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dmm
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dmm
I just wanted to say a BIG thank you to Bill Palmer for his help and expertise with helping us find and figure out ball options for the routine Mo and I are working on!

Greatly appreciated!

-Daniel Martin
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Bill tends to make a habit of being helpful around here, shame on him! Your routine sounds intriguing Daniel. I was also thinking along the Fakini route as I read this thread. I have some 1" Fakini balls but I'm not sure they do the exact size you would need.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
664 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Maybe one of these:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/38mm-plastic-toy-ball.html

If you want 3000 of them Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the big problems with these balls is that they are very seldom actually 38 mm. Sometimes they are as large as 45 mm.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

atinczor
View Profile
Regular user
New York / Istanbul
111 Posts

Profile of atinczor
Fakini balls might be the answer you are looking for, as Bill mentioned..They come in different colors and sizes and keep their tones over time. They are expensive, though..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a ball (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL