The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Was there ever one particular name associated with this trick way back when? I can't remember...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I see this trick in the plastic ring format sold in $1 stores. So some are saying they never saw this before. OMG. CMON! newer magicians go wow, cool!! older magicians will slap their foreheads and have a V8 which is another reference that separates the generations.

One could buy shower curtain rings (nice ones with good heft and in 3 different finishes from say Restoration Hardware or simply support your local mom and pop ACE hardware store, preferably without the seam showing, and use a relatively flat disc to substitute the coin and in place of the red envelope, use a $100 bill and your "mat"- now the trick cost more than baby jade rings. I challenge anyone to able to discern real vs. fake jade kinda like expecting a layperson being able to tell the difference between a real silver Morgan and a clad. CMON.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I think Xiqual's post above may apply here? The creator is Alan Wong. Perhaps caucasians are a secondary market for this effect? Smile

A layperson can't tell that my silver/gold engraved Sherwood Cups are sterling silver, unless I tell them. I don't care. *I* like them.

Different people have different intangibles...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Good Point.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I just saw the review from Wizard Product Review after my post and it was so funny, especially when David is maintaining it straight. awesome bit.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-07-06 02:35, vinsmagic wrote:
I perfromed this effect over 30 years ago and it is older than that, I used metal key rings
how can someone sell a trick that is not his just because he is using different material ???
Happens all the time.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
This might be interesting to do with a set of Ellis rings. You could go from one routine to the other switching in the needed ring and establishing that the rings are just ordinary brass rings. This type of trick might also pair well with Lethal Tender to make a longer more interesting routine.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Is this in public domain now? Has the copyright/trademark or whatever expired? Heck, I don't even remember if this trick has had a long-term, specific name associated with it!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I found a old version inprint in Scarne on tricks
he called it magic key rings
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
The version I have is Marvins Magic Magical Mystery Rings.

It came in a nice set with other bits and bobs, including quite a nice Himber wallet.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Don't hold me to it, but I think the Adam's version was called Chinese Mystery Rings. I remember a Chinese character on the box label.

I am sure it is public domain as it is in some beginner magic books on the market as well.

This is the black art principle and it works very well with any color cardboard.

It would be easier to just get some plastic women's bracelets at the dollar store or Walmart and make it up yourself. They probably have jade bracelets available as well. Real or imitation.
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
268 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 18:51, Steve Hook wrote:
I like the touch Alan's added (well, it's the first time I've seen it) at the beginning, if you spotted it.

Sure, but I have a sneaky feeling it's really a nice touch just for us magicians.
I don't think it makes a real difference to the layman.

By the time the effect reaches its climax (i.e. the coin has disappeared), spectators will probably have a good idea of what's going on.
I'm not sure they'll go, "Wait a minute, my theory is shot to pieces if what I remember seeing at the very beginning is correct."

There's always how the spectator *thinks* the trick works, and how it really works.
In this case, I think it's fair to say that most people will hit the solution right on the head. What they maybe remember from the beginning (before the effect even began) won't change much.
It's like showing that there are no strings attached to an assistant *before* the levitation begins.
Even if people remember it, it's not at all the same as "proving" there are no strings *during* the levitation.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I really would like to find out his rationalization for blinging out a $1 trick and pushing it onto the magic community?! Interesting.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Why not try contacting him? As you said, it is interesting, and he might have some good answers.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 22:28, rklew64 wrote:
I really would like to find out his rationalization for blinging out a $1 trick and pushing it onto the magic community?! Interesting.

It's all about $$$$$$$ !
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I don't get it! I understand the fact that the jade is perhaps symbolic or whatever, but you can't draw too much attention to the jade rings or you'd get someone wanting to pick them up and take a better look, which of course is a no no. Ive performed the trick before and can attest that with good presentation it can fool people but it not going to catch everyone. Perhaps not over priced for what you get but certainly unnecessary in my opinion.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:03, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Perhaps not over priced for what you get

You get a 1 dollar trick that has been bling'd up.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Maybe he should go on P&T and try and Fool Them !

LOL
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:51, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:03, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Perhaps not over priced for what you get

You get a 1 dollar trick that has been bling'd up.

There are lots of very good examples of this:

- Adams cups - PF Cups/Sherwood Cups

- Adams/Royal (?) linking rings - Owen Linking Rings

- Adams Color Vision - Howard Hale's (or others) Color Vision

etc....

I'm not saying that Adams is the original producer of these effects, of course. On the other hand, I doubt that the $1 version of this ring trick was the first incarnation of its kind, either! Smile

The effect, I think, looks beautiful, and the principle has been fooling people for a long, long time.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 22:13, rklew64 wrote:

It is the same reason there is not only one automobile offered for sale at $10,000. Some people like expensive looking props and it does something for them.

Or why does your wife want a diamond ring that is large and cost thousands more when a $50 wedding band will do just as well. I dare you to ask her to explain her rationalization for blinging up. LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL