The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your Back-up Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Hi,

I have a show in reserve for clients who have seen my show and would like to hire me but ask for another program because the kids comprising the audience will be more or less the same kids.

The trouble with my back-up show is that when it's time to use it, I feel I can't raise it right away to the performance level I like. So my question is: how do you guys keep your back-up show in tip-top condition so that it's always ready to go and so that it's performance quality is always as good as your primary show?

Thanks for your help.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I don't have one. As discussed in another thread, they'll get the same show and I've never had a problem with it.

To answer your question though, I would do some community service shows. We have an informal group of magicians here locally that go out every month or two and put on a free show for non-profits that a) will enjoy it, b) don't have the means to pay, which leads to c) it will not deprive a paid magician a booking.

Since we do it as a group, neither of us does a "whole show", but it's a nice way of keeping up with those routines and helping out at the same time.

We do the local elderly home and this last month did a show for the Akeela House. If you want good feedback and a lot of appreciation, perform for those who don't generally get a chance to see magic.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
My opinion about people who don't get to see much magic is that they will think you are great, since they have nothing to compare with. A true critique would come from a more seasoned audience.
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have one kid's show (kid's LOVE seeing the same thing again and again and again)

I do have about 60 minutes of adult material and I rarely do more then 40 in a sitting.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
As I run a show for a whole year, which means it's done at least 400 times, it's firmly imprinted on my mind, Plus a lot of the gags get transposed from show to show it's the tricks that change. Therefore If I need a second show I take last years show which is always ready packed in another box. All I need to do is tranfer a few things like my Balloons from show No1's box.

As for practice, I have a brief run through in my head while I'm checking everything is where it should be in the box, and that's it. Sometimes I'll forget parts of a routine, this is no problem as I use a lot of adlib anyway, so I make it up as I go along.

This has never caused me a problem as my memory is so bad that even with my main show that I've done loads of times I can acually forget what I'm doing in the middle of a routine, Sometimes I'll shuffle things about just deliberatly to keep me on my toes. The mark of a pro is the only one who knows I'm winging and making it up as I go along is me.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
Here in HotLanta (Atlanta) I seem to be getting repeat business from Parents that saw me at another kids party and also from DayCares. I got tired really quickly from hearing, "I've seen that one!".
I now have 6 completely different 40 minute shows that are all on their own shelves in a cabinet. This has really helped with booking DayCares as I land them for two shows per year. I can do 3 years of magic (6 shows, which a kid can attend all of them) and not do a repeat. That makes it very special for the DayCares. I now ask during booking's if they have seen me before (ie - when, where) and then just look in my database as to which show I did that date.
Yours,
ATM
aka: Bob
ps: I once got to ask Mark Wilson what his degree was in....It was Marketing!! Smile
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The way I keep up with my back-up shows is to segment them not into full shows, but into routines. I then take a routine out of my regular show and put in a new routine. This allows me to keep the routine fresh as well as study the routine and see what reactions I am getting from it.

It also is a great way for me to always keep excited about a show I am performing, because I know that part of the performance will be a bit different.

Try it and I think it will keep all your routines fresh for you.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Your Back-up Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL