The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Castle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hokeypokey
View Profile
New user
Chicago
71 Posts

Profile of hokeypokey
I will be near LA in September on vacation and would like to visit the Magic Castle. From what I can tell from its website, you need to have a guest invitation to get in. Is it possible to request an invitation directly from the Magic Castle or do you have to know someone who is a member?
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
You can get in if you are a member of the Castle, IBM, or SAM. If none, you need someone to sponsor your visit.

Beware, there is a dress code.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I've been a member of The Castle for 28 years. I also just called to clarify the rules about admission. So, here is the real scoop:

Assuming you are 21 years old or older:
    1) You must be a member or have a guest card from a member; or
    2) You must be a member of an accepted, recognized magical association such as IBM, SAM, the Magic Circle (London), etc. and you must not be local. The definition of "local" is a bit fuzzy, but if you live in California, check by telephone before you try to get in.
    3) Be a current guest of The Magic Hotel. (There may be additional requirements here, so be sure to check!)

The person I spoke with at The Castle tells me she turns away many people, almost everyday, who try to enter assuming their local SAM or IBM card is as good as a pass. It just isn't.

And, yes, there is a dress code: coats and ties for men, evening attire for women. Skirts may work for women, but I think they have to wear a matching jacket with a skirt. Check before you go to avoid embarrassment or disappointment.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
hokeypokey
View Profile
New user
Chicago
71 Posts

Profile of hokeypokey
Jimmy and John, thanks for your helpful posts. I am new to magic and have been thinking about joining IBM or SAM. Now I have an incentive to join quickly because I have heard great things about the Magic Castle and would like to try to go while I'm in LA. Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Castle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL