The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Overkill (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CardC
View Profile
Regular user
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
158 Posts

Profile of CardC
I was wondering what kinds of reactions have you guys gotten from this effect? As a magician it seems almost too simple, but usually those are the effects that crush the pulp out of layfolks...

I want to try performing this but I want to get it more natural first.

Just curious Smile
be happy
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
904 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
The reactions are awesome. And don't be afraid to give people explicit instructions on counting out the cards in their hand (if you know what I mean). They'll never remember. Trust me.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I once did the effect as my opening trick working a party at realty firm, simply naming the card got once person to curse loudly, the multiple revelations afterward simply increased the overall reaction from the whole audience, leading to some very enthusiatic applause. Of course I also started my card stuff with a deck that was conveniantly handed to me that was sealed and wrapped in celophane. So that my have helped a bit. Smile
Nice thing about overkill, is you can stack the deck for Vernon's poker deal, and do overkill without disturbing the stack on the bottom.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
CardC....

You are correct that it is often the "simple" tricks that fry the audience...just look at the Sponge Bunnies for crying out loud!

We as magicians seem to want to look at method. Let's face it...we are geeks (but at least we're "cool" geeks!).

I would much rather find a simple method for a great effect, simply so I can concentrate on presentation. A technically great trick perfectly performed can still suck in a spectator's mind if it doesn't connect on some level with them.

That's why they call us entertainers!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
It's a great trick, and I love it.

Beware of those over analytical people though. I performed it for someone who refuses to be fooled or entertained by magic. Once he reasoned the selection was forced, the multiple revelations lose their impact.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 18:01, Louis Lu wrote:
It's a great trick, and I love it.

Beware of those over analytical people though. I performed it for someone who refuses to be fooled or entertained by magic. Once he reasoned the selection was forced, the multiple revelations lose their impact.

Obviously Louis would know this, but, if the force fails, do another effect. Also, if you ascertain that one of those overly analytical people are there, do one of those effects where the conditions imposed are SO impossible that when you fry him, you have him and the rest of the audience PRIMED for anything you want to do to them - magically of course.

Overkill is a powerful effect but it is one of those - at least for me - where I pick my spots. This effect IMHO requires no interruptions so I would never do it in an environment such as a restaurant. But YMMV.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
Louis if you know the type of person they are, why would you even perform for them?
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 01:09, Blueroyalty wrote:
Louis if you know the type of person they are, why would you even perform for them?

Well, I didn't know he was that type, and yes, lesson learned. This person also happens to be my manager, and after performing a couple of effects for him and seeing his reaction, I won't be showing him any card tricks in the near future.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 18:58, Louis Lu wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 01:09, Blueroyalty wrote:

Well, I didn't know he was that type, and yes, lesson learned. This person also happens to be my manager, and after performing a couple of effects for him and seeing his reaction, I won't be showing him any card tricks in the near future.

Haha, I would LOVE a shot at your manager!! Analytical people (engineers are a GREAT example) are easy prey man!! Throw in a few red herrings and you got 'em. MMDV!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I had an engineer nail me on Card Warp once. He said "that's easy..." and then immediately told me in great detail how it worked - correctly.
Thankfully, he did this in private when nobody else was around. He said that his job granted him a keen eye for spatial relationships. LOL

Anyways, back on track: Overkill, is great - but as has been mentioned already, you have to pick your audience right for this one.

Wait a minute..what am I talking about? That actually applies to ANY effect in magic...!

Cheers.
Calvin826
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Amazing effect- in fact, I HATE how such a self-working procedural gets better reactions than the knuckle-busting stuff I do.

That being said, my presentation is a bit different than the original- I mixed up the order of the reveals a bit, threw in a red herring, added a nice kicker and raised the stakes in the form of a small wager. Never fails, and I haven't been called out once.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Fantastic effect Smile

Never underestimate 'self-workers'.
NotThatLarson
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of NotThatLarson
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm not sure what effect we are talking about here.
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of alondon
Can someone give me the reference for overkill
Thanks
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3133 Posts

Profile of warren
It can be found on The Stars Of Magic dvd's volume 1 and I believe its also in Paul Harris's Art Of Astonishment books.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
598 Posts

Profile of ejohn
For those who think Overkill may be a little, ah, overkill, check out Under Overkill on YouTube.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3133 Posts

Profile of warren
I checked out Under Overkill and all I saw was a tutorial by someone who's constantly exposing other magicians work ( which I detest ) going back to the actual effect though personally I didn't like it as it had very unnatural card handling and isn't a patch on the original routine.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin
220 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Here is Paul Harris teaching Overkill. https://youtu.be/vGkKWy4EZWM
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3133 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm sure Paul Harris would be pleased to see his work being exposed on youtube !!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, ejohn wrote:
For those who think Overkill may be a little, ah, overkill, check out Under Overkill on YouTube.

No. Please no.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Overkill (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL