The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Regal Ring Chain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
If you can show your hands totally empty before going to open up the chain,well then it would be interessting.
There was a Sean Fields Effect published some years ago who dealt with that theme ring flight to necklace too.
If I remember correctly in his effect you could show your hands empty before reaching for the necklace.
jaybest
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of jaybest
Yea Sean Fields effect is called Northbound.

It looks basically the same as this but without the need for a special necklace.
TTrushin
View Profile
Regular user
USA
188 Posts

Profile of TTrushin
I assume, from the demo, that you cannot show your hands empty. It is just like most Card to Wallets
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
812 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I prefer Alan Rorrison's version. You can cleanly show the ring threaded on the chain before reaching for the clasp behind the neck.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Totally agree, Rorrisons looks much better from the videos i;ve seen as you can show the ring on the chain before removing it. I kind of think the Regal one just looks like you are slipping the ring on really quick as you remove it. Im sure that is not the method, but from the video I saw, that is exactly what it looked like.
TTrushin
View Profile
Regular user
USA
188 Posts

Profile of TTrushin
But in the Rorrison method the necklace isn't examinable.. It is an excellent idea, but I do not find it practical
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 18:30, TTrushin wrote:
But in the Rorrison method the necklace isn't examinable.. It is an excellent idea, but I do not find it practical

What needs to be examined?
You show the ring on the chain,slide it off & put the necklace back on.

Mike
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Exactly, A necklace, like a wallet is pretty personal. "Here have some neck sweat"
James

Quote:
On 2011-07-07 20:19, Michael Peterson wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 18:30, TTrushin wrote:

What needs to be examined?
You show the ring on the chain,slide it off & put the necklace back on.

Mike
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2011-07-07 20:40, Xiqual wrote:
"...Exactly, A necklace, like a wallet is pretty personal. 'Here have some neck sweat'...."

Sounds like a salt pour effect. Smile
TTrushin
View Profile
Regular user
USA
188 Posts

Profile of TTrushin
Good point; but with Rorrison's method, I find the necklace itself to be a bit annoying (you will know what I mean if you have bought the download)
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2995 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
No, you can't show both hands completely empty with this effect before going to the necklace, although you can show them "apparently" empty. David Regal compares this to a signed card to wallet utility, and in that respect (another effect where you can't show both hands empty before doing "the work"), this is a terrific item that does exactly what it claims. If you used a regular necklace, you'd have to fiddle with the clasp and all. This is more clever than that, so that there's really no time lag. There are some audio issues, though, if you're performing in a quiet environment. The chain is heavy duty and masculine looking. When it's set up, you can wear it anywhere and perform this effect completely impromptu.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of mayniac
The chain seems really big to me and it seems like the spectator would realize that something fishy is going on when you take off the chain.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3823 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Rorrison's is the best. The load is unbelievable and unmatched by any other method ive seen. The fact that you can show the ring clearly on the necklace before ever going near the clasp of the necklace is what sets it head and shoulders above the rest.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have the Regal Ring Chain and so far it has shown very well. While I can't show the ring on the chain prior to removing the chain, I do present as if it is there before the removal. Plus since I often am wearing a T-short or Polo shirt it isn't that practical for me to try and pull the chain out ahead of the removal anyway.

Presently I vanish the ring - most often with a ring hank, using either Any Ring or Lynetta's No-Ring Ring Hank - and after pulling the hank away thus giving the appearance of the ring having vanished, I glance down toward my chest and sometimes feel that area with my fingers, give a surprised look, and only then unclasp the chain and remove it, showing the ring threaded onto it.

It has gotten very good reactions for me so far!

Thanks!

Jim
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1257 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I'm getting excellent reactions with Regal's. I have used Alan Rorrison's version but yes, the necklace, as someone pointed out, is annoying.

And you CAN show the ring on the chain in Regal's prior to "removing" the chain just like Alan Rorrison's version. Reach back, lift up the chain, show the ring on the necklace, then "unhook" the chain. Just like Alan Rorrison's version.

I have a choice between the two. I use Regal's. Rorrison's is excellent, btw. I don't want to in any way diss it. It fooled me when I first saw it and I believe it's an excellent buy. But for my needs Regal's works better and looks better.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 00:34, J-Mac wrote:

Presently I vanish the ring - most often with a ring hank, using either Any Ring or Lynetta's No-Ring Ring Hank - and after pulling the hank away thus giving the appearance of the ring having vanished, I glance down toward my chest and sometimes feel that area with my fingers, give a surprised look, and only then unclasp the chain and remove it, showing the ring threaded onto it.

It has gotten very good reactions for me so far!

Nice! Smile

Very convincing presentation (for the magician(s) as well). Thank you.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2365 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I have been using this with great success, almost all the comments above are those who seem to perform only for other magicians,for lay folk, they simply love it, stop trying to fool other magi. But if you really need to show your hands empty, after the vanish, David Regal has addressed that, again, it is not necessary, as for having it on the chain prior, I think J Mac has a brilliant method he described above, this is very easy to perform and it is very comfortable to wear, here on the East Coast yesterday was in the high 90s and very, very humid, I still walked in to Staples and while my new OTL cards were printing, I did the effect, they just loved it, Please don't attack my comments, but a reply is welcome, I have no problem wanting to fool other magi at the local club meetings, but in the real world, those things don't matter, remember, Lay people and what they know and see.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Cheers for bringing mines up folks. Im sure bother have the pros and cons and I'm just happy any one looks at my work
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
771 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Alan - I like your version! Our methods are very different, so we are not in competition. I think it's fair to say that the different versions, including Sean's, have unique attributes, trade-offs, etc.

I posted somewhere else on this forum about my chain, and yes, I openly say it is the same card-to-wallet:

Re: REGAL RING CHAIN [Re: David Regal]
David Regal

It's exactly like card-to-wallet, where the effect is of a card miraculously transporting itself to a wallet...although the method for card-to-wallet is: You put the card in the wallet. One has to completely divorce oneself from the workings to understand the effect the trick has on the audience.

Similarly, here you have a specially-made prop that allows for the FAST and smooth incorporation of an item - instead of a card going into a wallet you have a ring being added to a chain. You get the ring onto the chain in the same amount of time it naturally takes to remove a neck chain, an action the audience is intimately familiar with...just as the action of removing a wallet from a pocket is an action the audience is familiar with.

As magicians it's hard to remember that with card-to-wallet, the audience is perceiving an empty hand going into the jacket, even though it is never shown. When one changes the palmed card to a finger-palmed ring, there is an extra display of an "empty" hand that can be thrown into the mix, which is nice.

I add some time after the false transfer, so the guilty hand is nowhere near the "ring hand" at the moment of the vanish. Of course, if one were to use a ring vanishing hank, this is not an issue, and the trick becomes very close to self-working.

I don't want anyone to buy a prop they can't put to use - I believe I've been very clear about what the ring chain accomplishes, and why, as in the case with a traditional card-to-wallet, a very bold action results in an amazing effect.

You can see some nice posts on this forum from guys that have actually performed with this chain. Some are amazed at how deceptive it is, but that's only because they feel guilty! I also posted this, which is a handling many people will prefer:

Thanks, Dave. This prop requires one to forget that he is a magician - anyone reading this can tell that I'm doing a false transfer in the demo, but one needs to see past that to the effect! To be fair, in actual performance I ALWAYS let a little time pass after the transfer, so the guilty hand is gone and forgotten by the time of the vanish. However, if that brand of vanish is too bold for you, do this:

a) Get a ring handkerchief (at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S8967 it costs under $20).

b) Borrow the ring, put it under the handkerchief, and while they think they are holding the ring, ditch the borrowed ring into a pocket.

c) Perform the vanish with the ring handkerchief. Easy, amazing, and your hands are empty. The ring is GONE.

d) Return the hank to the pocket, secretly picking up the ring. Motivated and sneaky.

e) With a gesture, flash two empty hands (the ring is in finger palm - automatically hidden).

f) Mention your chain, then take it off revealing the borrowed ring hanging from the center.

This is a classic time-tested sequence (Lippincott box, Nest of Boxes, etc), and even a newbie should feel 100% protected, as a ring is secretly held for only a moment. Trust me on this.

And again - thanks.

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Regal Ring Chain (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL