The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Rock my Box! :) A new effect by me! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Hi all,

Here is my new Card to Box effect, inspired by a Harry Lorayne move and James Brown's 'Box Clever'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sgmqb5ePi0

Tell me what you think!

Kyle
samuwel
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of samuwel
Kyle, I'm always interested to see new stuff from you. Smile
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
You may want to check out James Brown's Box Clever
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
It is based on Box Clever. Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I didn't care so much for the first phase with the King re-appearing under the box. It may be just me, but I always think a layman will get what is happening. Maybe it is just me. But the second phase I thought was very interesting and clever with the 3 mates of the chosen card in the box.

Also, very clever way of 'forcing' the card - they can choose any card, but the routining takes care of the force. Nicely done, there.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
CardC
View Profile
Regular user
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
158 Posts

Profile of CardC
Perhaps if you show that the king really does go under the box, by placing that card on top and DLing to show it, then for the next phase you can get away with "not showing" the face of the king before putting it in the middle. Show that is really goes there, then the next time the spectators are used to it, and you don't have to show them again.

Perhaps play with a visual change to transport it?

Good beginning seed of an idea Smile
be happy
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2918 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Looks cool to me
I j
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
972 Posts

Profile of helder
Kyle I love the routine but my advices are:

-When you show the first king, here with Stuart Gordon turnover it will be better

-The loading in the box, check how Bebel load the card in his routine Repro Retro(create in the mind of the spectator an image like the box never touch the deck (time misdirection it's important here, too)

- I think if you show the box empty in the beginning and load with palming(or other method) the kings it's better too

Love the force and I think with some adjustments that routine it's killer for laymen.

Hope that helps,

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
The first phase is weak. It needs "rethinking" (hope I make myself understand). The second phase is the strongest! I question the last phase where the three other kings appears in the box?! Are you showing the box empty at the beginning? If yes, WOW! But if you don't, I'm afraid that people will just deduce that they were there from the beginning... You are on a good way to achieve your goal, but there is still work to do. Keep on working good!
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Motivation in Necessary, and it lacks within this routine,

why not just have the spectator take the card out and look at it? why place it back on top of the deck just to show it and have it 'Lost' again?

Every time you pick up the box with deck in hand it becomes a 'Moment' of suspicion when the spectators backtrack the routine, Likewise without showing the box 'Empty' to begin with the last bit looks rather contrived
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks for the advice and comments guys!

Actually, the firt phase is very similar to James Brown's and it does seem to fly by laymen.
I like the idea of doing a turnover to show it, thanks for that! Smile

And yes, that was just an idea of a finish.
Alternatively, I could have the three other Kings on top, King appears UNDER box again, and whilst spec can turn over box, ditch deck apart from top 3 cards, then do a squeezing motion and show the whole deck has compacted into three cards. Smile

Thanks,

Kyle
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Don't see why you don't just do Box Clever?
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
Also check out Paul Cummins's card under box: talk about a trick that slays laymen!

More in general, I think you should think through what the motivations for your actions are: without it, even if technically there is nothing to see, the actions themselves "smell" funny; Why put the selected card on top of the deck just to show it right away again? Why the awkward back and forth of putting a card down over here, picking the box up with the hand that's holding the deck even though it means you have to reach across your body to do so when you have a perfectly good empty right hand?

Moves are not magic.

Cheers,
Luigi
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Hey Kyle,

Nice use of the HL ID, but I suggest a short pause while displaying the KS on top of the deck, that might allow the on-beat to turn into an off-beat for the move. Hope this makes sense?

I think your creativity is impressive. It is not a question of why you don't do Box Clever, it is a matter of daring to experiment and learn about the inner construction of effects. Most here (myself included) will rather read Designing Miracles, than experiment on our own.

Fact is, what we discover by ourselves will have a much more profound influence on what we do than what we can read in a book.

Michael
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
972 Posts

Profile of helder
Keep the good work Kyle, the bad comments are always good. It's with them that we grow. Keep creating and you will come with great stuff, soon.

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8632 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Nice! Good work Kyle. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
CardC
View Profile
Regular user
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
158 Posts

Profile of CardC
Good handling my friend, inspired me!

here's a video of a possible add on, it would be really interesting to see you combine your handling with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUer162rUsI

Just to share Smile

Keli
be happy
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 17:31, ilmungo wrote:
Also check out Paul Cummins's card under box: talk about a trick that slays laymen!

More in general, I think you should think through what the motivations for your actions are: without it, even if technically there is nothing to see, the actions themselves "smell" funny; Why put the selected card on top of the deck just to show it right away again? Why the awkward back and forth of putting a card down over here, picking the box up with the hand that's holding the deck even though it means you have to reach across your body to do so when you have a perfectly good empty right hand?

Moves are not magic.

Cheers,
Luigi

Our Post are quite Similar Indeed!

Cheers Mate,
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 03:45, Chris Piercy wrote:
Don't see why you don't just do Box Clever?

Because I am challenging my creative process!
With a control for example, that someone has made up - you could say, why don't you just do a pass?
But it is because the control may achieve other things, and I feel that although the box trick is not better than James Brown's, it could be the start of something good. Smile

Kyle
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Thanks guys for all the comments. I LOVED the visual card to box Keli!

Best,

Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Rock my Box! :) A new effect by me! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL