The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2003 entrée: Michael Rubinstein » » Thoughts on Gaffed Coins? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Michael, I don't do many coin effects, so for some of the few I do do I like to use gaffed coins, I really would like to learn non-gaffed versions of some of the effects, but don't have the time...

What are your thoughts on this kind of cheating???

What kinds of gaffed coins do you use? If any?
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
That's a good question, and you might have noticed that I haven't talked much about gaffed coins in my section. That's because I really don't use them very much anymore. That being said, They are deadly in the right effect combined with sleight of hand! Just look at the magic of David Neighbors to see how he rings in the gaff and gets max effect. Personally, I used to use the C/S coin a lot, and if I end up going back to any one gaff, that would be it. I love the sh**l, and at some point I will look for more uses for it. I already use it to clean up the Voodoo trick on my DVD's, which keeps the routine just as magical, but a heck of a lot easier! Anything that can save you moves is a big plus in my book! I use the Johnson cig though quarter gaff, a few of my own, and got some nice stuff from Todd Lassen that I have been playing with. But nothing to me beats the satisfaction I get from pure sleight of hand. So to summarize, I don't do much with gaffs, but I am certainly not opposed to their use and when I find the right routine, I'll use them. But, to use them it has to make the routine look cleaner and more magical by eliminating movement, and I have to be able to clean up as easy as I do with extra coins (which I use a lot of!). How about the other members (Dave neighbors, I just know you are drooling to post here!).
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Just a quick note on the lauguage used in the original post.

Mark, why do you believe using gaffs to acomplish an effect is 'cheating' ?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
No reason I was just tring to think of a word to use for skipping lots of practice to get the same effect...
Cheating is what came out! Smile

For me the biggest reason to learn the effect with no gaffs is that I can use someone elses coins, yes they most likely won't have and halfs on them, unless they are magicians but maybe I could learn it with quarters, who knows?
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Michael,
Drool,Drool Smile! I would have to say the same As Michael You Use A gaff To make A trick more Magical! You maybe able To do the Trick With out it!
But not as cleanly And as Magical!And you have to know
not just how but when to use it! And Mark To do any Magic You have to Cheat!If I say I am placeing A coin in the outher Hand And Don't Do it I am Cheating IE. Not being honest! Just Something to think about!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Dave, which are your favorite gaffs besides the sh**l?
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Michael,
I would say No.1 A 2 copper 1 silver ( Mines Is A Solid C.S.B. In barbar Made By Tod L.)NO.2 A 2 coin Gimmick,No.3 A Sun And Moon Coin No.4A Chinatown half And No.5 Lately I have been Playing With A Double Sh**l And have come up with some cool stuff That I will show You at the COINvention!!! Ok That's it! Cool man Thanks!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
eeesp
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
27 Posts

Profile of eeesp
I just got the B*tt**coin. Not yet ready for an audiance.
Love my S n S.
David trained me well. Slights with an ocasional gaff for that extra visual brain twister. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2003 entrée: Michael Rubinstein » » Thoughts on Gaffed Coins? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL