The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » My review of Berglas Effects (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
It appears that the full advertised product was not delivered, and was changed without warning, and still advertised as the now incorrect price.

X amount for $X has not been fulfilled.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I believe Richard was fully aware that the book would be sold for higher prices after the book sold out. He should of just raised the price of the book to begin with.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Setting the price based on demand is somehow a bad thing?

He could easily just raise the price to $500 "just because" without a reason. If the book is worth it(I'd say it is), then people will buy it. If it isn't worth that much, then people will not buy it and it won't fetch that much on the second hand market.

If the publisher feels the second-hand market is going to price the book around $300, then he should definitely raise the price to that amount, there is no reason people buying it on speculation that it will raise in price should cash in any more than Kaufman.

Prices can increase all the time, are you saying that if silver goes up $20, that a coin shop is somehow obligated to sell them for that price? Silly. Same for any commodity, including knowledge. Heck look at the Diamond industry.

The producer and consumer market is a two way street, we have just as much right to not buy something as they have to raise the price. If he has created a product of value, it is up to him how much he profits from it.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
If the committed amount were sold as advertised, then a new 50 appear and are sold for more that's different (raises another question though)

here we have two different things though, if he cares so much about the second-hand market maybe he should open a book shop,

value can change given demand etc but this is different
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
The latest from Mr. Kaufman on the Genii Forum:

Quote:
After some thought, I've decided that Ted is correct, and I must honor the $140 price until the end of September. The price of the book will revert to $140 US, $155 foreign, until September 30. If any books remain, on Oct.1 the price will rise to $200/$215.

Those who've purchased the book from me at $200 will receive a refund shortly.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......1#UNREAD
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Very interesting...

sounds all the more tempting now that it feels like a sale
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
581 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
Are you kidding? This book is just plain FANTASTIC. Even at 300 $ it would be a bargain. This is definitely the best book I read in years, and Mr Berglas is an absolute genius. You clearly don't imagine the work required to write this book...
I am now doing ACAAN during my close-up performances with a regular-shuffled deck, and it is a marvel. Any deck, surrounded, during cocktail strollings, table hoping - well, you name it.
I can't imagine why you are complaining for some 50 bucks, really. This is pure gold.
JJS
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 04:31, jjsanvert wrote:
Are you kidding? This book is just plain FANTASTIC. Even at 300 $ it would be a bargain. This is definitely the best book I read in years, and Mr Berglas is an absolute genius. You clearly don't imagine the work required to write this book...
I am now doing ACAAN during my close-up performances with a regular-shuffled deck, and it is a marvel. Any deck, surrounded, during cocktail strollings, table hoping - well, you name it.
I can't imagine why you are complaining for some 50 bucks, really. This is pure gold.

... then put the price at $300 from the start, don't do false advertising and leading people on with prices.

what if we go to purchase and then before despatch we get a mail saying, eh actually, $10 more, then more then more, not exactly a relationship based on trust.

work out what you want to charge for something then sell it for that price. we all value things and get good deals

also,

did you send him the extra $50?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Where was there any false advertising? For MONTHS the book was available at the low price (and presently still is). Book sellers and other retailers often raise prices without notice. At least in this case, you do have fair warning that the price is going up at the end of the month.

Quote:
On 2011-09-03 07:54, Olympic Adam wrote:

if he cares so much about the second-hand market maybe he should open a book shop,

Well, FWIW, he does. A publisher / retailer. The same one that published the Berglas book.

http://kaufman.geniimagazine.com/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
PaulTemple
View Profile
New user
Scotland
61 Posts

Profile of PaulTemple
I have just brought the book. After reading the posts I'm looking forward to working with it. Any book that can cause this much intrest, must be worth while.
Paul the conjurior
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
The Berglas Effects is now sold out. Richard Kaufman posted a message on the Genii forum.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
You may still be able to get a copy from Mr Berglas directly, as I did a couple of weeks ago.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
So for those who have read this book. Do you believe that this book could teach you a method, however long and involved it may be to ultimately pull of this effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXIVQ-asqU without stooges?
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Yes, that effect. But not every time.
And you are certain that the videos shown do not use any pre-show work or confederates? I myself doubt that.

BJ
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 12:40, boxjumper wrote:
Yes, that effect. But not every time.
And you are certain that the videos shown do not use any pre-show work or confederates? I myself doubt that.

BJ

I remember when I first read about this ACAAN effect it listed a criteria that included "no stooges". However, I can't see how it could be done this way without at least one stooge. I guess I was thinking there was a method that could make someone a stooge without them knowing they were a stooge? Perhaps using a little pre-show manipulation..
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
I am not sure how useful my opinion is this late in the game since the book is pretty much sold out at this point. Regardless, here is what I thought about it.

I received my copy yesterday and promptly watched all three DVDs back to back. Contrary to what others said I always found the DVDs very interesting. Since the camera is the unflinching eye, I did see a number of moves that I might have missed if I was watching him live. The DVDs gave me a better understanding of not only Berglas, but the type of effects he performed. Afterwards, I broke the rules and began reading the section on the Berglas effect first. I honestly did buy this book for more than just this effect but my curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to look through it even if I couldn't understand it all yet.

Let me mention first that I am not a professional magician. I am a hobbyist who has never performed for anyone else besides friends and family. Compared to your average magician I probably don't know much about card magic on a whole. That being said, I did not have any trouble understanding the core Berglas Effect at all. Of course there are many many different nuances that go along with this effect depending on how it plays out but I found it to be explained very well and is a very doable trick.

It does take some mental gymnastics and some clever patter but it is certainly possible to achieve a miracle. In fact, if you had say 3-4 packs available either out in the open, in a box, or perhaps in different places that you could direct the spectator to then you could perform ACAAN without touching the cards about 85% of the time. It really is a brilliant method.

This is something that will take a lot of practice and should be adapted to your own personal taste. For instance I won't be using his exact arrangement. Let me also mention that I never knew the concept of the B****e.. I never knew you could do that!! That would be a great method if you simply wanted to force a card. Brilliant. I can't imagine how anyone could think that the magician was forcing a card. A bit risky but well worth it.

I can't give a full review of the book, but I did find the DVDs and the section on the coveted Berglas effect very helpful. You don't have to be a seasoned magician to learn and use this effect but you need to have patience and the willingness to do the necessary work to make it happen. You didn't think it would be easy did you? Smile
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 18:28, DelMagic wrote:
The Berglas Effects is now sold out. Richard Kaufman posted a message on the Genii forum.

glad that I managed to order my copies in time!!
:) Smile Smile

what a great book!!
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Agree that Mr. Berglas's performance on the DVD was underwhelming, particularly after Mr. Kaufman went on and on about his performing ability. But the book, on the other hand, is absolutely loaded with great ideas and insights. Definitely a good purchase. Furthermore, I'm grateful that Mr. Kaufman and Mr. Berglas included the DVDs. They offer tremendous insight, even if they don't inspire you to copy the presentations.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
I disagree with the assertions that Mr. Berlas's performances were underwhelming. I think in fact the opposite. If you're familiar with Mr. Berglas at all and have seen his prior performances and TV show then you would have known what his "style" is. I personally prefer this to the over the top comedy and/or cheesiness associated with magicians. In fact, the first time I saw Berglas several years ago I said....now that's how magic should look...like nothing, at least IMO. Especially in regards to card tricks which often have very contrived, laborious procedures that lessen the effect.

I personally enjoy his stately, understated presentations that don't step all over the effect and leaves the audience to fill in the rest with their minds. The performance clips, especially the newer ones really is where the rubber meets the road where you can see the material in use and get a better grasp on it. His methods brilliant, his intermittent comedic injections and timing bring a smile to my face, and I think anyone serious about performing magic in a dignified manner would be all over this book because of the goldmine contained therein.

My 2c,

Dave
krazykat
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
87 Posts

Profile of krazykat
I too loved the DVDs, although I only watched the performance sections. I have been in magic off-and-on for fourteen years, yet I read the first chapter and put the book back on my shelf. I did this because I don't want to know how this fabulous trick is done unless I am going to do it myself - and I'm not up to this yet! However, I am looking forward to two or three years down the road, when I WILL be able to do the material in this book. I am also looking forward to not having to pay the (estimated) $300 - $500 it will cost then!

I must say - I found it very, very interesting to see the spread of opinions about this book represented here. I wonder if being a professional magician, as opposed to a amateur, has any influence over the mileage one could get out of the book?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » My review of Berglas Effects (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL