The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » VentHaven 2011 - Whats Happening! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
As far as I am concerned Bob Baker brought the house down with one of the funniest routines and had fantastic lip contyrol, movement control of his figure and perfect stage presence. All vents should hope to do as well as Bob in their routines. I take my hat off to you Bob and thank you for making the senior mike experience the hit of the night.. Simply fantastic. By the way Bob's Bill Nelson figure was stupendous and looked SOOOOO good on stage.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I looked at the case for the board,

I saw the video of the board;

I did not see a price for the board and case,

Does anyone know?
MT
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of MT
Another thing I noticed from the majority of the performers when I sat up close was that lips were moving quite a lot. I also learned how important scripting is. And it's such a tough thing to write a good script. I got Tom Ladshaw's DVD on comedy called Punch and the booklet too. He makes some good points about how to make your comedy better too. Tom can also help you write scripts for a small fee. So if you just don't want to deal with script writing you might want to ask Tom to do it for you. He's a real nice guy. Though I'm no expert at scripting I can tell that for some of the performers script writing and getting to the punchline was... Well, could be improved. And I would agree that some of the acts were a bit longwinded. So I'm learning a lot from seeing everybody perform. Maybe next year I'll do an open mic if I have enough guts.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Still up and wanted to respond to Mike's comments. I'm assuming he meant the "lip control" on the open mics. Keep in mind - many of these people haven't been doing it that long or only practice and get serious around convention time. Nerves in front of an audience can cause issues. You can bet this was pointed out on their critiques and will give them something to work on.

Too - some pros have allowed skills to lapse. The goal however is to always strive to be the best you can. If you constantly work to improve your skills, you will move forward. Some of the pro acts that have allowed skills to erode also complain in private that they aren't as busy as they used to be...

If you want to experience the percision of a skilled pro - ask Ken Groves to do his 'B' Tounge Twister! The clarity and control are amazing.

Mike - glad you are having a great time and learning. I'd love to see you on an open mic! I'm sure you'd do a great job!

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Buzz - what the heck are you talking about? Case? If you are talking an Axtell product - contact them direct. They are always happy to answer questions!

Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I saw the video of the Axtell Mic Mouth... brilliant!!! Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
If there is a ranking for best performance, I think Bob Baker's performance will be the top three. Damon the demon puppet routine by Scott (I think) is very good, given the fact that he is first-timer.

I enjoy the convention so far and I bought a puppet plus 2 of Axtell's mouth's puppet too.

I think today's gonna be another great day! I'll talk to you later Tom!

P.S. BTW, there's this lady Nina who wears a T-shirt with your face imprinted, Wanlu. Smile
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Thank you, guys, for your extremely kind words. I am both flattered and humbled by the compliments I've received from you and other people.

I don't know how Tom has the energy and time to be posting his reports. He is running the sound for the shows and lectures and is doing a superlative job to help keep everything running smoothly. I always thought from his postings that Tom was a terrific person; turns out I was right. Tom is a mensch.

The Jimmy Nelson sessions have been wonderful. Although he was not one of my major inspirations, my first vent figure was a Danny O'Day. Jimmy is funny, warm, and approachable. His family are also here, and last night they told stories about growing up with Jimmy and Betty as parents. It sounds like it was a real-life Ozzie and Harriet family. (You youngsters will just have to look up the reference.)

Yesterday I had dinner with Marc and Connie Rubben. Marc is one of the top cruise vents and a really cool and mellow guy. And the two of them are a really lovely and loving couple. One of the great pleasures of this convention is how many incredibly nice people I'm meeting from all over the world.

Even though I'm exhausted, I'm going to hit the exercise room (I really have to, considering how I've been eating). Looking around at the attendees here, I'm thinking that a lot of them should be ding the same thing.

Thank you all again for the wonderfully kind comments you've posted.

Bob
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 01:20, tacrowl wrote:
Buzz - what the heck are you talking about? Case? If you are talking an Axtell product - contact them direct. They are always happy to answer questions!

Tom

Tom;
Since you didn’t post what the product from Axtell was, and you did write about a Drawing Board, I assumed you were speaking about the bigger Drawing Board advertised on the Axtell website; it comes complete with a carrying case, but the website has no price.
I was asking about a price of the Drawing Board and case; unless the product you’re alluding to is not the Drawing Board.

To confirm, what is the product your referring to?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I looked at the Axtell website this morning and saw a new product “Mike Mouth” that was not on the website yesterday; maybe this is the product Tom was writing about yesterday
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 07:22, Joseph_Then wrote:

P.S. BTW, there's this lady Nina who wears a T-shirt with your face imprinted, Wanlu. Smile

She's a sweet friend... Smile

At least my shirt made it there Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 10:30, Howie Diddot wrote:
I looked at the Axtell website this morning and saw a new product “Mike Mouth” that was not on the website yesterday; maybe this is the product Tom was writing about yesterday

Yes. MT posted above what the new product is - it sounds like the "Mike Mouth".
I just looked at it on Axtell's site, I rather like it.
You could probably use it by itself too as disembodied lips talking, or maybe say it's a ghost and all you can see is their lips.....
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Mike Mouth it is. I didn't want to spoil Axtell's introduction of the product - we had a sneak peak - another advantage of coming to the convention. I'm thinking of "Invisible Mick Jagger" for the prop, although I may also use it as a mask alternative for kids. Based on the cost and look - this is an inexpensive way of doing a mask routine without the delay of putting on a mask or making a spectator uncomfortable.

The lectures are currently going on and I had a few minutes to break - the conVENTion pic is coming up soon - then the Café members are going to try and have a group lunch. Later today - Terry Fator and then, the Jimmy Nelson tribute complete with a special surprise guest!

Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

MT
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of MT
For those Jimmy Nelson fans there may be some souvenir programs and pins and posters. If youre interested they are selling them here and the proceeds go to the museum I believe. Anyway if you're interested PM me and if they have anything left for sale I'll try to get them to you.

MT
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Yes, a very lot of lip movement, first timers, out of practice, Bergen school of vent, etc. Looking forward to pro shows. I see the antique figures are less and less, Seems to be turning into a puppet world. But I'll tell you, many of these up and coming youth are top notch when it comes to calling out the old time maker's works and detail of characteristics. Several kids were enthralled with my J C Turner figure and I granted them chance to hold or manipulate my figure under my very watchful eyes. They are really going to love the museum trip tomorrow.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Just One word.....ENVIOUS!! All of you have a fantastic time!!

Duane/Vegas
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Hey, Duane. And we're missing you.

B
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I think a more proper name for this thing would be Vent HEAVEN. For me an amazing day meeting Nina Conti and Terry Fator and seeing Jay Johnson again. Mark Wade conducted a great interview with Terry, after which Terry stuck around to give autographs and take pictures with whoever wished one. I also got a picture with Terry's sweet (and rather attractive) wife Taylor.

This evening was a love-fest like I've never seen for Jimmy Nelson. First there was a terrific Tom Ladshaw film featuring interviews with Jimmy, many clips of his work on Texaco Star Theater, Ed Sullivan, Nestlé commercials, right down to his present day school shows. (At 82 the man is still working!) Also in the film were tributes from Terry Fator, Jay Johnson, and a wonderful bit by Jeff Dunham and 14,000 of his fans at a performance.

Then came live tributes from Mark Wade, Brooks Brooking of the Vent Haven museum, Terry Fator, Jay Johnson, and Jeff Dunham. Then, one of the buildings at the Vent Haven museum was renamed the Jimmy Nelson Building. And finally, Jimmy was named the Dean of American ventriloquists. This brought tears to Jmmy's eyes.

It was a remarkable outpouring of love and respect, and I totally enjoyed it. You might say I was in Vent Heaven.

Bob
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
What a great evening. All I can say is WOW!!

Duane/Vegas
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Glad to hear everyone is having a great time.
Did they end up breaking the 500 point yet?
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » VentHaven 2011 - Whats Happening! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL