The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "The Ten Cannots" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-07-12 08:54, Dannydoyle wrote:

[Don't worry about a persuasive arguement. With your mouth constantly running on about one thing, your ears shut, and your mind made up as to what you think is the "TRUTH" already, it is highly unlikely that you will even stumble across another point of view that could change your mind.

Gee, project much?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea all observation is projection to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 23:40, mastermindreader wrote:
But you can be happy if you've a mind to!

Ah yes, one of the universal truths of life.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You can't always get what you want!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
But if you try sometimes/ you just might find/ you get what you need.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I probably won't get what I want, I hope I get what I need, but God, Buddah, Zeus, and the Devil help me if I get what I DESERVE!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
And what good, self-respecting, former hippie would leave out:

If you can't be with the one you love...
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-07-12 17:01, Beano wrote:
And what good, self-respecting, former hippie would leave out:

If you can't be with the one you love...

Just do the hand jive.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Stagecoach" is political?!?

Ennyway...

You can't pull yourself up by your own bootstraps--you just lose your balance and fall over.

You CAN burn the candle at both ends, but unless you want to hold it, you need do design a special candle holder.

Early to bed, early to rise makes for a boring routine.

A penny saved keeps you from going completely broke.

A Rolling Stone gathers no moss--but lots of groupies.

A job well done will probably go unnoticed.

What the mind can conceive it can describe in a sci-fi story.

What doesn't kill us just makes us wracked up.

Don't expect to see an elephant in Picadilly Circus.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 14:26, Bob Sanders wrote:
"The Ten Cannots"

Majoring in the Minors takes us away from Majoring in the Majors. Working on The List of Cans is the better investment.

The list was authored by William Boetcker, a minister and motivational speaker born in the late 20th century. Read them for yourself and see if you don't agree.

"The Ten Cannots"
• You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
• You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
• You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
• You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
• You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
• You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
• You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
• You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
• You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
• You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob, I just felt that your post was worth being posted again.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 15:38, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 15:19, Payne wrote:
They forgot the most important one

You cannot bring about real change to complex problems with an array of heavily biased and poorly worded platitiudes.

:applause:
It's been along time since you and I have conversed, but do you really agree with Payne, that what Bob posted, was an array of heavily biased and poorly worded platitudes?
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Well Tom they are platitudes. I'm not really concerned with the "biased and poorly worded" bit. They appear to be politically charged platitudes that reject positions NOBODY takes seriously.

Lets just look at a couple of them.
Quote:
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

I'd like to know who thinks you CAN bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. Prosperity is a rich and complex concept. Even if we restrict ourselves to monetary prosperity, who doesn't think that prudence in spending is important?
Quote:
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.

Again, who thinks that destroying the rich is the way to help the poor? Nobody. The most ardent reformers amongst us probably think that many laws and policies aid the rich unjustifiably. Identifying and modifying such laws and policies make sense. Nobody seriously thins that destroying the rich (whatever that is supposed to mean) is a means to improving the lot of the poorest amongst us.
Quote:
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.

Again, I'd love to meet the person who thinks that "taking away initiative and independence" is a desirable political outcome for any reason.

So let's ask ourselves what the point of the list is. The list, probably written in 1916, gives us reasons not to believe what nobody believes. The author of the list, Rev. William Boetcker, was a politically conservative Presbyterian Minister who served as director of the Citizens' Industrial Alliance. What was this Alliance? you might ask. Well it's now often described as a "pro-employer" movement. Put in the context of 1916, that is probably best translated as an "anti-union" or "anti-workers' rights" movement.

With a bit of context, the list looks a bit more suspicious. What does Rev. Boetcker's list look like to you? Does he really appear to have the interests of the working poor at heart? Is there anything in the list that actually looks like solid political advice?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John,

Political advice?

What about simple adult responsibility?

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

There is a huge difference between "working poor" and "poor working".

(I have been a Presbyterian with a union card. You?)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-14 11:12, Bob Sanders wrote:
John,

Political advice?

What about simple adult responsibility?

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

There is a huge difference between "working poor" and "poor working".

(I have been a Presbyterian with a union card. You?)

Hi Bob. I'm all for simple adult responsibility. I suspect we agree on most of the details at issue. I have indeed carried a union card. As for Presbyterianism, I grew up in the United Church of Canada, which was formed as a merger of the Methodist Church of Canada, the Congregational Union of Ontario and Quebec, the Association of Local Union Churches and many but not all of the congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, so I've been a near-Presbyterian too.

I believe in social responsibility, and I support some forms of legislation that make it part of our duties as citizens.

John
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
John, there ARE people who think you enrich the poor by taking from the rich. Payne, Redshirt, landmark, Chance support positions that want to redistribute wealth. Even your global warming religion is redistributive in the way many want to deal with it.

There ARE people who want to take away initiative. Tax the rich, give more money to workers and so forth. ALL that is taking from the rich to give to another.

As for who doesn't think prudence in spending is important? Since YOU made this political John, the current administration has demonstrated THROUGH ITS ACTIONS that they don't give a whip about spending prudence.

Seriously man you made this political, and all of the things you say NOBODY supports the party in charge of America right now do support and are passing legislation to that effect.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-14 16:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
John, there ARE people who think you enrich the poor by taking from the rich. Payne, Redshirt, landmark, Chance support positions that want to redistribute wealth. Even your global warming religion is redistributive in the way many want to deal with it.

See how you've already softened the original platitude. It was "You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich." Redistrubution, taxation, environmental protection, etc. are VERY DIFFERENT from "destroying".
Quote:
There ARE people who want to take away initiative. Tax the rich, give more money to workers and so forth. ALL that is taking from the rich to give to another.

I'm not sure what part of what I said you are arguing against here. The only platitude that mentioned initiative was: "You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence." Are you saying that paying worker salary "takes away initiative"?
Quote:
As for who doesn't think prudence in spending is important? Since YOU made this political John, the current administration has demonstrated THROUGH ITS ACTIONS that they don't give a whip about spending prudence.

Maybe, but I doubt it. What they have done is spent considerably more than you and I think prudent. That's not the same as not giving a whip (which, BTW is a new metaphor to me).

Quote:
Seriously man you made this political, and all of the things you say NOBODY supports the party in charge of America right now do support and are passing legislation to that effect.

I don't know what you mean there.

John
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Danny, thanks for drawing me into a conversation I had no part in. You're using charged words intended to get a rise out of people, and I don't feel like playing that game right now.

Do you think any person should pay taxes? If the answer is "yes," then you, too, support redistribution of wealth.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-07-14 17:19, EsnRedshirt wrote:

Do you think any person should pay taxes? If the answer is "yes," then you, too, support redistribution of wealth.

Not true at all. It's only redistribution of wealth if any of it goes to the poor. The wealthy gladly pay taxes as long as they are the direct beneficiaries of them. As long as the government spends those tax dollars on our bloated military or pet projects that directly benefit the upper class then they are fine with the minute percentage of their income that they actually pay in taxes being collected.

But should a single penny be spent to aid those less fortunate. Well then you'll see Tea Party Patriots right and left. People like Danny only think money should go one way. Up. If you want a bigger slice of the pie for yourself then by gum and by golly you should have had the fore site to be born into a wealthy family.

I have always found it odd that conservatives want us to return to the principles that made this country strong. Principles that made post war America the financial power house that was the envy of all the world. When companies paid workers a living wage. when the owners of those companies made 15 times the salary of their average worker not 500 and paid up to 90% of that income in taxes. A time when regulations were put in place to keep all the wealth of the country from pooling up at the top and kept our manufacturing jobs from being moved overseas.

The conservative want to return to those halcyon days of yore. they just don't want to have to pay for them.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 14:26, Bob Sanders wrote:

The list was authored by William Boetcker, a minister and motivational speaker born in the late 20th century. Read them for yourself and see if you don't agree.

"The Ten Cannots"
• You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
• You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
• You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
• You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
• You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
• You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
• You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
• You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
• You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
• You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

These are all quite appealing rules to live by at first blush. But with more than a moment's thought, several of them are incredibly naive. E.g.,

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves."

Tell that to an injured type A quadriplegic soldier returning from Iraq.

"You cannot establish security on borrowed money."

Tell that to anyone who ever took out a modest and affordable mortgage to buy a home for their family.

In other words, the list is easy to agree with until you actually take a moment to think about it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Words mean things.

The statement is "will not do for themselves" and I'm sure, If the wounded veteran could do for him self, he be more than willing to do it.

Buying a home on borrowed money is not security, it is a liability and can be lost due to unforeseen events.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "The Ten Cannots" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL