The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Patter Idea for Sankey's "Stirring Silver" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Mark
It has occurred to me that Matthew 19:24-26 might be used as patter for Jay Sankey's "Stirring Silver"? [Jesus says "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God]. You could draw an anologies between the ring and the eye of a needle, the spoon handle as thread, and spoon bowl as a camel. Then when you say "...with God all things are possible" you could put the spoon bowl through the ring.

The one thing I don't like about the idea is that it puts the magician in the position of God. Perhaps one could paraphrase and say "with God's grace all things are possible", while emphasizing it's just an illusion, etc.

Any comments?

Mark
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
First, I want to say that you have a terrific application there! I think the analogy is terrific!

As for the concern about being in the position of God, I do a couple of effects which could also appear that way, but I make it clear that what I try to do is to give an illustration of what God can do. But He doesn't need illusions or tricks. He can do Real Magic, and this is just a pale comparison.

But I think that you already have a wonderful way of dealing with it. Your paraphrase does not change the Truth of what the verse says. So in a way, in this application, it is like a "living Bible" interpretation.

Congratulations on a nice presentation idea!

God Bless!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Mark
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Mark
Thanks for the positive feedback, BroDavid!

I gave some more thought to possible wording for this over the weekend and came up with the following. After asking if the audience is familiar with passage in Matthew and retelling the story if desired, the performer would say:

"You could illustrate that passage with a ring and a spoon. The ring is symbolic of the eye of the needle. Since it's a little bigger we can use the handle of the spoon as thread. We all have the ability to pass thread through the eye of a needle. But the bowl of the spoon is much too big to go through, like the camel. We'd never get anywhere on our own if we tried to push the camel side through. This serves as a physical reminder that while there are some things we have the power to do, it's only with God that all things are possible."

Mark
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
I am just an instrument through which God works.

That would be my approach.

Thanks for sharing the nice application.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Patter Idea for Sankey's "Stirring Silver" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL