We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Red/black shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Could you watch my video and give me some feedback and tell me what you think? It is an idea that I got after playing with the red and black shuffle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLRGkwoXgM
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3144 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Some people have opened a gambling-type set by showing how no matter how you shuffle the reds and blacks together, they stay separated. Obviously having the deck remain in new deck order would be more striking, but the runs of red and black read better from a distance. Something like this ought to work nicely for that. You could even precede it with something like the Laurie Ireland shuffle.

Shuffling in that manner strikes me as a convoluted way to get into something a bit more subtle, though (such as OOTW or something that uses the divided deck principle).
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Ruairidh
View Profile
Regular user
London
200 Posts

Profile of Ruairidh
I think it looks okay. However, as Andrew has said above, it is quite a convoluted way to maintain a red black seperation.

Darwin Ortiz has a great routine where the deck is shuffled multiple times in different ways and always has the red and blacks back seperated. the finale is much like your shuffle, except you can actually see the black cards being shuffled into the red cards, when the reveal is made, it is quite impossible.

The routine is called the Vegas Shuffle.

Here is someone performing it...okayish...on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmVDT8OQ4o
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
It was ment to be shown with a routine like that mendozas where the blacks and reds remain separated even thought the deck is shuffled.

I wouldnt use this with ootw type of routines where they cant see that the deck is in order.
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
I thought it was really good. It would be a suitable way to begin OOTW, if you keep the cards face down at all times.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2946 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I thought it looked good, too. But I do agree that following it with the last part of Vegas Shuffle would make it just that much better.
I j
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
I watched that vegas shuffle video (awful zarrows btw) and in the last part the 2 piles are not shuffled together like in my version. So in the ortiz version the small packets can be shuffled together slowly and fairly and in my version you can shuffle those supposed two mixed up piles together fairly. In Darwins hands that would look amazing I think.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2583 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I think it looks good and could be magically even stronger than it is. I think that the slight convoluted nature of the shuffling that Andrew mentioned is only a factor because you don't yet have a script to move the effect along.

Describing what we can see you are doing doesn't add anything to the effect and in this case makes it feel that there's more proceedure going on than there actually is.

Card magic performed with the spoken word inevitably needs those words to support and enhance the effect. They ideally make the effect more interesting, engaging and magically strong and consequently this factor benefits from not being overlooked. It is as much a part of the technique of the effect as the physical handling.

With a more structured script I think the effect will play really well and even as it is I think it's a pretty good piece of magic.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 09:48, Sealegs wrote:
I think it looks good and could be magically even stronger than it is. I think that the slight convoluted nature of the shuffling that Andrew mentioned is only a factor because you don't yet have a script to move the effect along.

Describing what we can see you are doing doesn't add anything to the effect and in this case makes it feel that there's more proceedure going on than there actually is.

Card magic performed with the spoken word inevitably needs those words to support and enhance the effect. They ideally make the effect more interesting, engaging and magically strong and consequently this factor benefits from not being overlooked. It is as much a part of the technique of the effect as the physical handling.

With a more structured script I think the effect will play really well and even as it is I think it's a pretty good piece of magic.

It was not my intention to perform the trick since I don't have a script for it and I think it would be a good part of a bigger routine. I simply wanted to show you what it looks like.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8520 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Interesting - just finished a chapter on red-black shuffles for a new book of mine. Much, much, easier than in the above video. (If he did those riffle shuffles while playing with some of the people I knew on the mean streets of NYC when I was much younger, he wouldn't have gotten much older!) HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 10:50, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Interesting - just finished a chapter on red-black shuffles for a new book of mine. Much, much, easier than in the above video. (If he did those riffle shuffles while playing with some of the people I knew on the mean streets of NYC when I was much younger, he wouldn't have gotten much older!) HL.

So an overhand shuffle would have worked better?

I am glad then that I am not a younger Harry in NYC.
Mel Toyer
View Profile
Loyal user
Luton, England
216 Posts

Profile of Mel Toyer
Hi 1tepa1,

I think Andrew had hit the nail on the head. As a stand alone piece its a bit convoluted. Best to precede it with a more simple shuffle like the Laurie Ireland overhand shuffle or a basic Zarrow (or push thru/pull out) shuffle. That way, it gives you a reason to get a bit more extreme with your shuffling.

That said, very good.

MEL
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 07:43, Ruairidh wrote:
[...]

The routine is called the Vegas Shuffle.

Here is someone performing it...okayish...on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmVDT8OQ4o

Darwin Ortiz's The Vegas Shuffle is a progressive routine, demonstrating increasingly more restrictive conditions under which a skilled card mechanic can apparently control an entire deck through skilled cheating. It's actually a pretty good trick.

The video you've linked to is some guy who hope to fool with mediocre handling repeatedly of the same false move over and over. His failure to understand the "canceling" concept of varying one's methods is a perfect example of taking a good premise and turning it into a bad trick. What he's doing is far too removed from the Ortiz routine - both in method and in presentation - to be referred to by the same name.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8520 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Mel is right on - Ireland's overhand shuffle is the one I learned when I was a boy and is the one I STILL use. There may be better overhand shuffles for keeping red/blacks separated but if so I don't know them.

When I want to do a riffle shuffle I do either my in-hand Riffle Diffle (which keeps all cards in place) or my on-table Super Riffle Diffle. Using the Zarrow is, in my opinion, overkill for just keeping the reds and blacks separated. (Aside from the fact that I see the move "killed" by so many.)

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8520 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I didn't mention where you can find my Riffle Diffle shuffles - they are in the Rim Shots section of Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 2. You can learn all about that, and much other stuff, by going to my fairly new magic website, third address listed under this post.

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3144 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 12:10, Mel Toyer wrote:
Hi 1tepa1,

I think Andrew had hit the nail on the head. As a stand alone piece its a bit convoluted. Best to precede it with a more simple shuffle like the Laurie Ireland overhand shuffle or a basic Zarrow (or push thru/pull out) shuffle. That way, it gives you a reason to get a bit more extreme with your shuffling.

That said, very good.

MEL

Just to be clear, I like the shuffle itself. It has a sort of test conditions aspect to it.

In my opinion, it's a bit too convoluted to set up something that uses the result in a subtle way. If you need a divided deck for a trick, might as well already have it, come out and do a regular false shuffle, and head into the effect. But if the effect is something like, "Hey, this is why you need to be careful if somebody else is shuffling the cards" then it could work. You could make an entire routine out of it, or you could open with the Ireland, move into this one, and then just let somebody else shuffle.

One nice aspect to demonstrating this via red/black rather than new deck order, is that the result registers nicely without potentially tipping the fact that certain cards might be missing. Just a hint about where you could go from here (think ringing in the cards necessary for the classic Marlo/Gardner routine).
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
My version couldn't be done with a new deck order.
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
117 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
If I remember correctly, there's a very similar shuffle sequence on Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks DVDs that retains the whole deck.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-13 16:38, Piqsirpoq wrote:
If I remember correctly, there's a very similar shuffle sequence on Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks DVDs that retains the whole deck.

It may well be. But I don't think it allows you spectator to push the cards together.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I think that shuffle from Finland was pretty good and in fact it fooled me. Furthermore I have a name for it. I think henceforth that it be called the Viking Shuffle.

But what is the Ireland overhand shuffle? I wonder if it is the one I am doing. I think I read it on Bobo's "Watch This One". You shuffle normally until you get near the middle and then shuffle one at a time for about six cards or so and then shuffle normally again. By repeating the whole procedure you are back where you started.

The other one I do is a full deck shuffle known as the Optical Shuffle which is in the Royal Road to Card Magic. Another quite servicable one is the riffle shuffle described in the Magic of Paul Le Paul.

To be frank the times I need to keep a red black stack in sequence is quite neglible even for Out of This World. Here I use the George Blake method where you TELL them you are setting up the deck so shuffling would make no sense anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Red/black shuffle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL