The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Sugar Rush" and "Rattled" quick reviews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Sugar Rush is great. Props are great. Visual is great. Get it.

---------------------------

Rattled prop is unpredictable -- but may improve with performer constant use. But prop should work first time every time.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 17:37, fib wrote:
Sugar Rush is great. Props are great. Visual is great. Get it.

---------------------------

Rattled prop is unpredictable -- but may improve with performer constant use. But prop should work first time every time.

I had the same issue with my Rattled gimmick - one was perfect and the other doesn't reset. This is a known issue as apparently some gimmicks went out that are not made correctly.

Call your dealer as I did and they will send you a brand new working unit(s) at no charge.

This is a precision piece and it will not break in apparently.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Thanks!
Pastor Mickey
View Profile
New user
Colorado
97 Posts

Profile of Pastor Mickey
I had the same problem with both of the caps I received. The dealer sent me out two new ones right away and did not ask for the original ones to be returned. That is the good news. However, only one of the two replacement caps worked properly. So now I have 4 caps with only one that works. Seems like there might be a significant quality control issue. The gimmick that does work is wonderful and I love the idea. I'm not going to ask for another replacement because I'd just feel like a pest!
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Dear Pastor Mickey

You deserve to have both caps working perfectly. So please do not be shy about getting your free replacement. All the new Rattled's be made now should be fine.
If you have any problem with this please contact me at: Janet@paulharrispresents.

Many thanks,

Janet
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Wow, there's no better customer service than that. Very impressive!
Good for you Janet.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Pastor Mickey
View Profile
New user
Colorado
97 Posts

Profile of Pastor Mickey
Janet,

Thank you so much for your response. Several people have spoken about your extraordinary customer service, and I they are right. I will contact the retailer one more time.

Thank you again,
Mickey
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Sugar rush is a cool idea. I have it, but haven't put it into a routine just yet. ...But it's cool.

Rattled is flipping brilliant. Just brilliant! And I haven't been this excited about a gimmicked effect in quite some time. I do, however, have two problems with it. First: The foreign coins. To me, it just seems to scream 'gimmick' to use foreign coins among American crowds that have likely never seen and would certainly question a coin from India. Even if they think it's the coins, not the caps, it brings too much attention to the possibility of gimmicks and not enough focus on the magic that's happening. Of course, I'll be purchasing 'special' American coins to use...but it kind of bugs me that I have to do that with a new effect. I'd be willing to pay more to be able to do this with American coins the day it arrives. Nothing too major there, I guess; just a personal preference.

The other issue is that both of the caps take more pressure/force to lock than seems to be suggested in the instructional DVD. In fact, one of the caps takes considerably more pressure/force than the other. I certainly cannot do any routines where locking of the gimmick in the hands of my spectators is required. Neither of the caps in the set I have will lock in a spectator's hand or even on a close-up pad; particularly the one. It requires a flat, hard surface. Fleshy hands and/or a close-up pad just aren't hard/rigid/strong enough to engage the lock. I will definitely use "Rattled," but I'm restricted from using it in a few of the manners demonstrated on the DVD because the locking mechanism just won't allow for it.

I'll contact the retailer I purchased the illusion from. Perhaps I have one of the earlier sets.
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
228 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
I agree about Rattled. It is great, but doesn't "lock" everytime fir me. I've just modified my routine to accommodate . . .
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I've read more than a few reviews of Rattled and I'll be darned if this isn't the first time I noticed that it uses coins from... India?! Odd but why didn't I notice that before?

Bendy I must agree that this is indeed unusual and the coins would certainly be suspected by spectators. Not that there is anything about a foreign coin that should be considered suspect, but it is so different from what American spectators normally see that it will undoubtedly stand out to many.

Thanks!

Jim
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Rattled uses any coin that will fit in a bottle cap. Quarter, Nickel, Dime etc.

Yes they supply you with one foreign coin because it has a certain quality that is needed for some of the routines. I'm sure this is to keep the cost down. You can purchase a properly gimicked coin in any denomination from many magic dealers.

Guys, if something is too tight it will generlly loosen with use. So push, pull, push, pull etc etc. Still too tight? Sand paper (fine grain). Be careful. If you make it too loose you might have a problem. Probably a bit of transparent tape in the right spot will tighten it. I haven't had to do any of this on my Rattled but it's pretty standard maintainance for gimmicks.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just received my replacement cap from Ellusionist and it works perfectly. Both caps now require VERY little pressure to set. Kudos again to Ellusionist and PH (and Janet) for standing behind their product. Good people.

BTW I did the monte routine yesterday and the person said they "felt" the coin popping into their hand when I placed the cap their - and I did pull on the fingers as Dan shows on the DVD. Maybe I pushed to hard, or who knows. I still think this is a winner.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 03:22, prestopresto wrote:
Rattled uses any coin that will fit in a bottle cap. Quarter, Nickel, Dime etc.

Yes they supply you with one foreign coin because it has a certain quality that is needed for some of the routines. I'm sure this is to keep the cost down. You can purchase a properly gimicked coin in any denomination from many magic dealers.

I'm sure it was to keep costs down. And since I don't have any routines that use those properly gimmicked coins, I had to order a couple. I'm hoping the heavier, American coins will work the same. But it irks me just a little that I can't put the gimmicks to use the way I would like, (and in one or more of the performances suggested in the DVD). I would have been happy to pay $15 - $20 extra to get American coins included in the trick so I don't have to wait to utilize this clever item. It is my opinion that the Indian coins will draw attention to the objects being used when they would otherwise be above suspicion; which means you can't use this particular illusion as demonstrated and taught until you obtain specially gimmicked coins that aren't the ones that come with the props. Again, no real big deal...just personal preference.

Quote:
Guys, if something is too tight it will generlly loosen with use. So push, pull, push, pull etc etc. Still too tight? Sand paper (fine grain). Be careful. If you make it too loose you might have a problem. Probably a bit of transparent tape in the right spot will tighten it. I haven't had to do any of this on my Rattled but it's pretty standard maintainance for gimmicks.

My problem here is that when something is new, it should work. After use, most things wear out. When it's new, MOST things should actually work better. Otherwise, won't your performances suffer until it's broken in? That's not right.

I think Rattled is fantastic. I would just like to have the option of American coins for extra money at the time I place my order, (or to have been notified prior to ordering it that it contained foreign coins so I could maybe purchase appropriate coins at the same time I placed the order for Rattled). I'm also of the mind that a new trick should have gimmicks that work properly. ...I don't think either of those things are too illogical on my part.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
@prestopresto: Thanks for the info!

@Bendy: I agree with you completely. I was on the fence about Rattled, mostly because with a limited budget for my magic props I had to decide between this and a few other excellent new products that hit the market around the same time. Plus I never carry a water bottle around with me and there isn't a lot of justification for using bottle caps otherwise IMO. "Here, let me show you something with these bottle caps I just happened to have in my pocket" seems to scream "Prop" at first blush. The foreign coins is a complete surprise to me. I wonder why that isn't mentioned in any of the promos or reviews?

Not to say I won't pick it up down the line sometime. Maybe when someone is selling it in the For Sale forum.

Thanks!

Jim
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
The dealer I purchased 'Rattled' from is shipping replacement caps out to me. If I get caps that work as they are shown to work in the instructional DVD, in conjunction with the 'special' American coins I ordered a couple of days ago; this will be a powerful illusion, indeed. ...I'll post again when I get the replacements.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Just a quick idea:

1. Turn one cap mouth up and very cleanly place a mag****c nickel ] with a dime under it in the cap, with the nickel side facing the audience.

2. Turn the cap upside down on a table top. The audience will hear what they assume is the nickel fall onto the table top. Have a spectator move the cap back and forth and she'll hear and feel the "nickel" (actually the dime) move under the cap.

3. Turn the second cap mouth up, appear to place a second nickel (a real one) in that cap, turn that cap mouth down on the tabletop, have the spectator move that cap back and forth, and she'll hear and feel what she assumes is the second nickel.

4. Tell the audience that you will invisibly remove the second nickel and magically throw it under the first cap to join the other nickel.

5. Snap your fingers over the second cap, snap your fingers over the first cap, and explain that the magic has happened.

6. Ask the spectator to move the second cap back and forth and she'll feel nothing under the cap. Have her lift it and she'll see that the second nickel has vanished.

7. Ask the spectator how many cents should be under the other cap if the vanished nickel has magically joined the other nickel. She will say ten cents.

8. Tell the spectator that she is right, that there is now ten cents under that cap, and you slowly lift it to reveal a dime.

Larry

P.S. - For all I know, the idea sucks. I came up with it while sitting outside in 90° plus weather with my brain frying! It's hard to make "cents" in this heat!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Larry,

Thanks for posting a good idea!

Cheers,
Jerry
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hello there

Re the coins from india. Most of the Rattled routines suppled do not require any special coins. They were suppled so you could practice all of the variations. In most cases a line of patter can be used to make sense out of the india coin. Would have loved to supply a special coin for the UK, canada, US, Japan, etc but very few would buy the set at this price. Will see if we can work out a deal with Murphy's to start offering these coins at the time of purchase though.

We really do try to do everything possible to make the most people happy.

Always appreciate your comments and ideas.

Janet
tvbobby
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of tvbobby
[quote]On 2011-07-21 23:14, Larry Davidson wrote:
Just a quick idea:

1. Turn one cap mouth up and very cleanly place a mag****c nickel ] with a dime under it in the cap, with the nickel side facing the audience

How can you a dime under a magnetic nickel into a cap and have the audience NOT see the dime... if, in fact, the dime is going to fall to the table? Please explain. (Because I like this routine very much, I'd just like to understand the beginning. Thanks!)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Simply hold the cap mouth up but tilted a bit towards yourself, and place the nickel ] with the dime under it in the cap, with the nickel side towards the audience. With the cap tilted towards you a bit, the audience can't see what you actually placed inside. Now quickly turn the cap mouth down on the tabletop and you're good to go. Hope I made it clear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Sugar Rush" and "Rattled" quick reviews (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL