The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
467 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I am looking for a chop cup with the best release feature, meaning I can rely on the ball dislodging when I turn over the cup and put it forcibly on the table yet the magnet is strong enough to hold it properly when I don't want the ball released. Is this feature the same on all cups or are some better than others? What would you recommend that accomplishes what I previously discussed, is aluminum (I don't want to be polishing copper or brass), decent size, and decent quality? I'm not looking to spend a fortune but don't want to cheap out either. Thanks for your answers.
Peter
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Cup strength can vary from one design to another. Your best bet is to concentrate on adjusting the ball to fit your personal style. http://www.rnt2.com has balls that can be adjusted. I think they can be had with either a m*** or simple steel core depending on how your cup is constructed.

For size and simplicity, you can look for an Ickle Pickle aluminum Chop Cup. They can be found fairly easily from vendors and auction sites. Mine will take a baseball final load and only cost me around $25 or so online.

If you're worried about consistency of dropping, you can do what I've done and abandon the gaffed cup in favor of a straight cup (borrowed?) and PK ring with a m**** ball. The combination of the two m****'s is strong enough to penetrate the walls of just about anything you will run across, and you can even feel the "pull" through the cup so you know at all times the location of the ball. A simple shift in your grip and it releases on your command.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2092 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
The Don Alan chop cup from wwww.rnt2.com is a worker's cup, the alternative if money is an issue I agree with Dave
on the Ickle Pickle Wide Mouth chop cup. Neither requires much upkeep as far as polishing them. Both are fine chop
cups and both take a baseball as a final load.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
Or check out the leather cups at Ambitious Card (and probably elsewhere).

Mark
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Of course, if you're looking for a good leather chop cup, why go elsewhere?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I agree with Dave V that it is better to find a chop cup you like, regarless of the release feature, and then get the RnT2 balls that are adjustable. Those things are a dream to use and work with. I bought 3 of each, and each one belongs to a specific cup from my collection that I use, as well as each ball being adjusted to the strength of its particular cup. That allowed me to buy the cups that I liked based on what they will allow me to do as far as their dimensions and balance, as well as their appearance.

http://www.rnt2.com is the link to the website, if you have never been there. The adjustable balls I think are under the Chopped Singles/Chopped Set category.

I hope this information is useful to you.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2612 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I will give another thumbs up for the adjustable balls from RNTII. Also, not mentioned yet would be a wooden chop cup from Eric Hansen, our own Papasmurf!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
467 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and bought both the adjustable balls and a Don Alan chop cup. That should do it. Thanks again for all the good advice.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13357 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I do the final assembly and give all our cups the "drop test" before I ship them out.

I drop the ball in, I hold the cup 3 inches above my hand, mouth down, and drop the cup into that hand.
The ball should release or it's too strong.

p.s. thanks Mark and Dave
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a good test.

BTW, I have some of Frank's leather chop cups. They are excellent! Max Hapner ordered a custom leather one from me which I had Frank make for him. Max loved it! He is still using it.

I should also add that Frank makes felted balls. These are very unsuspicious looking.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Quote:
On 2011-07-17 02:09, Bill Palmer wrote:
That's a good test.

BTW, I have some of Frank's leather chop cups. They are excellent! Max Hapner ordered a custom leather one from me which I had Frank make for him. Max loved it! He is still using it.

I should also add that Frank makes felted balls. These are very unsuspicious looking.

All these plus great service and patience

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL