The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Classic Pass (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Funkytek
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Funkytek
Well put Funki! I talked to a magician during a shoot of a Magic dvd & they pointed out to me Mr. Lorayne's Pass I think it is called the Eagle pass or is it the Top Card Cover pass?? I want to know what book I can find this pass Harry, I thank you for replying on the up/down motion as well. This is the reason I posted this here to get the Masters to reply & give us the REAL way of doing our moves. We teach ourselves wrong sometimes & I just want to see them done right. Thanks again Mr.Lorayne You ROCK!!!
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
Yeah, we don't want the "he did something" though to even cross our specs' minds

for me, the trick is already ruined if someone catches you do a sleight or if anything flashes...
they are just gonna be polite in showing amazement..
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
What's worse . . . one the veil of mystery is pierced, it makes the whole show, set, routine suspect, and potentially unravels all the groundwork and credibility built to that point . . . that's a LOT to risk on a difficult, easily replaced technique.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Hello everyone -
I am so new to this that I haven't got to starting to learn the pass yet. Do you think I should learn it and then possibly look for/learn alternatives? or do you think I would be better bypassing it completely? It all sounds hugely controversial... but I don't mind putting in the practice.
cheers

J.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Try to find a copy of my The Magic Book - that will answer your question.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Will do, Mr Lorayne.
Many thanks.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 10:23, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Danny: Up/down motion is wrong, unless there is a good REASON/RATIONALE for that motion. 99% of the time, over the last 6 or 7 decades, that I've seen people do the Classic Pass and who did the up/down motion, they did NOT have a REASON/RATIONALE for doing that up/down motion. The top-card cover Classic Pass doesn't require the up/down motion IF done properly. Actually, neither does the regular Classic Pass. I simply never use, never have used, the Classic Pass for controlling a selected card. There are too many better/easier ways. That is - for me. To each his own, of course. I rarely see anyone doing the Classic Pass as a selected-card control where I don't see a look of "He did something" in the layman/spectator's eyes. Yes, I know some who can do it - Bill Kalush, for one. But most can't. Anyway... Harry L.

Dear Mr Lorayne / Harry,

That is really very useful, thank you very much. I met a very nice busker today who showed me about 4 different passes I had never heard (again see my signature) and I wondered if there are any passes which you would recommend and if so which one(s) and why?

Best wishes,

Danny

Best
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
@JamieUK
about the pass
its not essential, but its an alternate way of controlling a card...
I personally like it because it happens so quickly that when done in the right situation, it seems moveless:)
of course, as a beginner, its not advisable to practice this right away, since, failure rate is very high
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I use the Spread Pass mostly, when and if I feel like using a pass to control a selected card.

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 12:45, JamieUK wrote:
Hello everyone -
I am so new to this that I haven't got to starting to learn the pass yet. Do you think I should learn it and then possibly look for/learn alternatives? or do you think I would be better bypassing it completely? It all sounds hugely controversial... but I don't mind putting in the practice.
cheers

J.

The pass takes a long time to learn how to do well, so if there's even a small chance you might need it down the road, then starting to learn it now isn't a bad idea. Obviously, it shouldn't be the only thing you practice.

Is it worth learning? I say yes, even as a case study on how to try to take something that's mechanically ridiculous and remove all its tells so that it looks like you did nothing. There are lessons to be learned from that sort of thing (how to remove tension, how to surround a move with context, etc.).
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 14:25, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I use the Spread Pass mostly, when and if I feel like using a pass to control a selected card.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Danny
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The problem is that a Top Card Cover Pass is STILL a Classic Pass....just UNDERNEATH the Top Card! Nothing changes. You still have to do the Pass itself silently and with precision. And, I've always found it difficult to do beyond that of just the Pass. If you want to put that much work in BEYOND the Pass itself go for a Front Riffle Pass. It's actually my Classic Style Pass of choice and although it's a bear to learn, done correctly it is totally undetectable EVEN IF you are told that it's going to happen. Very, very cool. You can use it as a Color Change, etc. AND, it's very natural as it's not that uncommon for folks to riffle or riffle-snap the outside edge of the cards, etc.

But, again......you HAVE to be able to do the basic Pass pretty much perfectly as far as the action itself is concerned.

Note: There is a variant of the Riffle, the Rear Riffle Pass and it's less deceptive in my opinion for several reasons. For one, you have to set your hands a little differently AND you almost have to do a wrist turn action which defeats the flow of the move for me. It can be just as deceptive, but .... you'd have to see both to decide I guess.

The Front Riffle though just rocks. Drove me crazy trying to get the timing, but once I had it I had it.

Another comment: Is it really worth learning the Pass? It depends. I think that there is a lot be said for learning any technique that adds to the over all control you have of your hands. The Pass WILL do that in spades. But, Harry and others (myself also) above are correct in that there are MUCH, MUCH easier ways to control a card! Yikes, yes!!!

Here's the deal: Want to learn something really difficult that will actually be useful in tons of applications and even give you a rep? Learn how to do a really, really good Second Deal. Here's a sleight that can pay off like crazy. Want to have a card selected, lost in the deck and then have any number from 1-52 names and have the selected card appear there with almost no moves? Second Deal...frankly it's better if the number is like 1-20 which is normal...... ;-) You can use it as a change, switch, in lieu of a double lift, etc. Best "hard" move I've ever learned when looked at time spent to the value gained.

Best,
Brad Burt
Funkytek
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Funkytek
If you want to do the pass any pass just don't take it out to the streets until you have MASTERED it & I mean know every inch of it n when to do it. I think it is a awesome slight it has been in our industry for centuries to lets just keep it smooth & clean as possible & not show it off by a jerking up down motion where they catch you because you have not covered angles correctly because there are a few Hot women checking you out...
JamieUK
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of JamieUK
Thanks funkil and andrew (PS liking your blog and annotated RRTCM - v useful).
And everyone for your advice.
Funkytec - have no fear, I will not venture out to make bad passes at people without a lot of practice - "if you do a bad pass, he'll pop a cap in yo ass" seems to be your viewpoint, which is an admirable one, sir.

:)
Funkytek
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Funkytek
Jaime! You are stright up correct!
Khal
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Khal
As someone new to magic I tend to use the Hindu shuffle to bring the card to the top then throw in a few fake cuts for effect. I think I will use various passes once I've mastered them however long that will take.
Funkytek
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Funkytek
If you are not a NINJA at the Pass you keep on practicing until you are no matter how long it takes you, Then go to streets & show the Art the way it should be presented!!!
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
Thanks Harry and Slyhand.
I've been down the route of using elaborate moves where the spec sees nothing, and I'm now convinced that they react far better to what appear to be normal shuffles. A few, relaxed, confident jog shuffles, false or for control purposes, as you patter only convinces the spec further, that the deck is being mixed up. They understand shuffling 'mixes the deck' so it looks like normal actions to them. I believe that too many magicians perform unusual movements, or movements which have no reason. subconsciously the viewer registers this and is a little less impressed than if everything looked normal. A great example of this has got to be Tommy Wonder's deck switch, in one side pocket with the deck, out the OTHER side pocket with the cold deck. it seems impossibly obvious, but with a reason to go into the pockets, on the relax, and without physical 'tells', it gets past everyone, because it looks normal.
The end result of the spec's reaction is surely the main goal; the means are irrelevant. I have a friend who uses the self working Coin Unique effect; he puts the coins in a glass and swills it around to disappear one of the coins. I have tried to persuade him to produce the coin through the glass or through the table but he won't, and guess what, people love it and beg for more. He has no real sleight of hand skills but a great way with people and lovely patter. I have seen people gasp in amazement and tell their friends that he is the best magician they ever saw. Surely he is doing something right? ;-)
Stevini
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Stevini
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 18:50, Brad Burt wrote:
The problem is that a Top Card Cover Pass is STILL a Classic Pass....just UNDERNEATH the Top Card! Nothing changes. You still have to do the Pass itself silently and with precision. And, I've always found it difficult to do beyond that of just the Pass. If you want to put that much work in BEYOND the Pass itself go for a Front Riffle Pass. It's actually my Classic Style Pass of choice and although it's a bear to learn, done correctly it is totally undetectable EVEN IF you are told that it's going to happen. Very, very cool. You can use it as a Color Change, etc. AND, it's very natural as it's not that uncommon for folks to riffle or riffle-snap the outside edge of the cards, etc.

But, again......you HAVE to be able to do the basic Pass pretty much perfectly as far as the action itself is concerned.

Note: There is a variant of the Riffle, the Rear Riffle Pass and it's less deceptive in my opinion for several reasons. For one, you have to set your hands a little differently AND you almost have to do a wrist turn action which defeats the flow of the move for me. It can be just as deceptive, but .... you'd have to see both to decide I guess.

The Front Riffle though just rocks. Drove me crazy trying to get the timing, but once I had it I had it.

Another comment: Is it really worth learning the Pass? It depends. I think that there is a lot be said for learning any technique that adds to the over all control you have of your hands. The Pass WILL do that in spades. But, Harry and others (myself also) above are correct in that there are MUCH, MUCH easier ways to control a card! Yikes, yes!!!

Here's the deal: Want to learn something really difficult that will actually be useful in tons of applications and even give you a rep? Learn how to do a really, really good Second Deal. Here's a sleight that can pay off like crazy. Want to have a card selected, lost in the deck and then have any number from 1-52 names and have the selected card appear there with almost no moves? Second Deal...frankly it's better if the number is like 1-20 which is normal...... ;-) You can use it as a change, switch, in lieu of a double lift, etc. Best "hard" move I've ever learned when looked at time spent to the value gained.

Best,

Yes, yes, yes! second dealing and bottom dealing allow a thousand amazing effects that slay specs, by the bus load. I would add Faro shuffle and stacked decks to this if you want to create amazing mini miracles; and if you want to be thorough, throw in a great top change (single and multiple), excellent palming and culling. then surely the sky is the limit.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Interesting - I can't do a second or bottom deal if my life depended on it! I NEVER use stacked decks. Can't do a cull worth a d*mn and never really, rarely, use a top change (I'll use my Ultra Move instead, perhaps, but most often I simply don't do effects that REQUIRE a basic top change.) I guess I'll just never reach that "sky."

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Classic Pass (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL