The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Trunk on a speaker stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Hi,

I did a search on http://searchthemagiccafe.com/ but could not find a discussion on this.

I use these types of trunks to haul stuff to my birthday party shows:

Link to trunk at WalMart.com

I am thinking about attaching a flange to it so I can mount it on a tripod such as this:

Link to tripod at Amazon.com

Has anyone done this?

What cautions, advice, or other things do I need to know before I do this?

Thanks in advance to all.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm not an expert, but that looks like a whole-lotta box for a single mount stand. Depending on what you put in it, you can probably expect some wobbling, and teetering. If you just have low-weight items, i.e. scarves, sponge balls, etc., maybe you'll be okay.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
That's what I was thinking but those tripods hold pretty hefty speakers.

I've seen those type of speaker tripod stands in Guitar Center and the big speakers they are holding look about as wide as the trunk I'll be using and the speakers would weigh more.

But, I have those same concerns about stability. That's why I wanted to ask here first 'cause even if no one has made my particular setup of trunk on a stand, someone may know more about how stable and sturdy the tripods are.

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good point regarding how heavy the speakers are. The only difference I can foresee (and again, I am NOT speaking from experience), is that you'll be "interacting" with the box, verses having it just stand there, like a speaker.

Still, hopefully someone with experience in this area will see this post and help.

I hope it works out!
slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of slydini
I would use a camping table base.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Those speaker stands really need to be open wide in order to provide stability - even without anything on them. It may take up more space than you're thinking. I have several of those stands and it's a fairly wide foot print.

Most likely what you're going to have to do to the trunk is add some plywood or other lumber inside to give it more strength and give the hardware for the flange something to hold on to. I'm sure that it is strong as it is, but you're going to be using it in a way it wasn't designed for. I can see that just attaching a flange directly to the trunk, without additional support, will cause it to crack or split.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Those are all excellent points and why I come to TheMagicCafe.

I can definitively see that the plastic would split if hardware were attached.

Also, I am guessing that the tripods I have seen displayed in stores must not have been spread all the way open because their footprint did not seem much bigger than a music stand kind of tripod. But Domino Magic's experience and advice saved me a lot of trouble and expense.

I did not even think of Slydini's idea of a camping table base. I am not really sure what that is but it sounds very portable. Does anyone have a link to one they've used or would recommend.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Try a keyboard stand instead. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XStdDblLt/ It'll be quite stable. Besides, drilling holes in most plastics sets it up to crack.
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
I would go with a Tray Jack. Those are the things you see in restaruants that waiters put trays on. They are light weight, fold flat and come in a couple of different heights. Just go to a restaurant supply store and they will have 10 kinds for less than 30 bucks.

I don't like the speaker stand idea for the reasons stated plus you are going to have that flange sticking out the bottom making the case hard to transport and impossible to play on a table if needed.

love the case.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:18, Alan Munro wrote:
Try a keyboard stand instead. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XStdDblLt/ It'll be quite stable. Besides, drilling holes in most plastics sets it up to crack.

We have a very similar stand for our keyboard, which is an older, larger model, and it is a very sturdy stand. Great idea Alan.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
How about trying the Krylon paint for plastic and paint a bunch of stars on the box - then you don't have to attach a cover cloth?
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Keyboard these days are much lighter weight than speakers. This one says it will carry 110 pounds, which is the size of a small assistant (and probably will handle your trunk). Show check out the load specs. I've been thinking about speaker stands for the same thing.

Keyboard stands make good tables I saw a street performer recently with a keyboard stand and a large picture frame, covered in black felt with an ornate gold frame. It was easy to carry and functional, because in the strong Kansas wind, the frame kept his magic from blowing away (literally). You can usually pick up decent size picture frames in bad paintings at yard sales for a few $$. It was very clever, I thought.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Rsylvester

Side question, What's BP stand for - Bare Handed Production?
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Close. Back palm. An attempt to play on the abbreviations used on this forum. My aside: Admire your work, Jay.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 17:58, SteveB wrote:
I would go with a Tray Jack.

That's what I use, but since I didn't know the weight of the fully loaded trunk, I figured that a keyboard stand is a safer option. My wooden tray jack has been through a lot in the last 20 years and it still works well. For kid shows, I rest a plastic tote on it, as a prop case. The tote is the size of a large footlocker.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Just a follow-up because I like it when others bring the conversation full circle.

I got a keyboard stand.

Nice, light weight and adjustable height.

It works great.

Thank you everyone. You saved me expense, time, and frustration.

Pfft...speaker stand. What was I thinking?!?

By the way, I may use a tray jack for my other trunk full of puppets.

As I always say; pack big, play small. Wait a minute...

:0)

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic Inc. has a book that uses 2 footlockers and puts legs on them, then opens lids and puts rods on them with a crossbar. Now a curtain goes on the crossbar. So you now have a back stage area behind the curtain, with all your props in them. This idea uses footlockers in wood or metal, not the plastic ones you referenced.

I think it is in their book "Super Show".
kennewhitson
View Profile
New user
Kansas
69 Posts

Profile of kennewhitson
The speaker stands and trunk work well if you use two stands. No wobble issues that way and they still pack up small.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 15:48, kennewhitson wrote:
The speaker stands and trunk work well if you use two stands. No wobble issues that way and they still pack up small.

I suppose that "small" is a relative term. The speaker stand that I use for my PA is about 3' long, when folded. I'd rather use a tray stand - it's only takes a second to setup.
uncleperry
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of uncleperry
Keyboard stand's a great choice. Strong, stable, easy height adjustment
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and that's usually good enough to make a decent living.
'unc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Trunk on a speaker stand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL