The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » "and when I snap my fingers..." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
It helps if the magic moment has credibility, though. It gives the rational types an extra bit of obfuscating data that they have to disprove in order to see their way through to the method.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Here's an example of how we sometimes come across as we tell what we do and stuff happens and then we look for applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Oa5d1Bzcs

Except folks watching this know it's supposed to be a joke.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
A gesture, a word, a look, etc. it's all just part of the dressing to enhance what you are doing. Folks really DO expect it and like it. The whole concept of 'magician' is archtypal. Folks have seen pictures, movies, whatever. The magician waves his hand, wand, says odd and obtuse things. As long as it fits 'you', it won't be questioned only enjoyed.

One way to test these things is to do a trick for someone new and do it totally silent. No patter. No gesture, no facial expression. As blah as possible. See what happens? Add various things into the presentation and see what happens. Working on a magic counter gives one a LOT of ways to experiment and I've done some very weird stuff mostly when I was really bored! I actually tried working some routines without any presentation just to see what would happen.

First, it's not that easy to do a routine without putting SOMETHING into it by way of body, face, etc. The magic comes across almost as someone demoing a new puzzle. Lack of explanation, context, etc. divorces one from the WHAT and the WHY of what's going on.

Next, I stayed silent, but added everything I could by way of pantomime. Lots of expression, lots of movement that directed attention. This went quite well actually. Could have used music in the background, etc.

You can play with this kind of thing and learn a great deal about what AFFECT various presentational pieces have. Try leaving out the tap on the deck, the Woofle dust, the "whatever" it is that you do at that point and see how it plays. If you really need something that point....would something else serve and whay, what, how? It's kind of fun.

Oh....if you have a local magic shop that the owner will let you play behind the counter a little...you can do stuff like this.

Best,
Brad Burt
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-18 23:48, Brad Burt wrote:
A gesture, a word, a look, etc. it's all just part of the dressing to enhance what you are doing. ...

Who is you?
How is the audience supposed to know how/when your character is accomplishing what your character wants them to notice as far as the magic goes?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Great question, Jonathan -- and "How does today's audience form opinions about one's character as opposed to older generations?

In the later 20th century a lot of confidence was placed on non-verbal clues as a basis for communicating feelings and attitudes. Younger age cohorts have less training and practice with "live" interactions and "reading people."

On the flip side they are very practiced in false characters, multiple persona and role playing.

Do they assume that every person is "playing a character" with litle concern over "Who you are?"

Possibly a wild "notorious character" is the only way to get attention an set your own rules.

Do the old sterotypes still hold. Does saying "I am a magician" convey anything about your character?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Taken Jonathan's point about explanations and also expanding on Whit's I think I will consign Woofle (or indeed wiffle dust) to history - except for special occasions. Instead ladies and gentlemen let me introduce (Drumroll please) Nano dust, these microscopic particles penetrate the pack before reassembling the card (or whatever).

:0)

Danny
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
The really important thing is coming up with a presentational cover for it. Just as you can use any object for wand cover, you can come up with any number of rationalizations for going to the pocket and coming out with something. From a choreography and strategy point of view, there's not much difference between going to the pocket to pull out woofle dust to vanish a coin, and going to the pocket to get a pencil to do pencil-through-quarter.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Don't get me wrong. I use Pixie Dust, too. I would cast a shadow, and do all sorts of other magical things. They need to fit the moment. An appearance, transposition, etc. work best with a sharp command, a transformation better with a slow one like "casting a shsdow."

Here I use Magic Words and Pixie Dust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOkWUM7yI&feature=related

On the linking rings I just blow.
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 16:40, Whit Haydn wrote: Here I use Magic Words and Pixie Dust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOkWUM7yI&feature=related

Pixie Dust was never applied any better, Whit. Always a pleasure to see you perform. Thanks for posting the link.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"I have heard he does magic with hand gestures alone." --Vincent Price, The Raven
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-19 08:21, funsway wrote:
... Does saying "I am a magician" convey anything about your character?

IMHO such is an invitation to doubt or a playbow for the sort of play we don't usually want as performers.

I am the Bolivian Navy on manoeuvres in the South Pacific. Lie mode Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I havn't read all of this as it usually makes my eyes glaze over. If someone covered it please accept my apology.

But the idea is to use movements natural to yourself and your way of being, and weave them into the performance to hide those moments you so hate. You don't have to snap if it is not what you do, but pick something you do and do that. The idea is to be natural, not to be somoene else. If the moves are "natural", then there is no way to retrace steps back to a spacific point.

Another idea is to intentionally put those moves at paces nothing is happening and nothing possible could have happened. This way if they do backtrack, there is no path to follow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Look, it's a small, off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic warden.

Danny, that was covered in the who/character post. Scripting and blocking come after character work, IMHO
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
In one of David Roth's lectures, he says "it's important to do the magic, even if it's just wiggling your thumbs". It's not always for misdirection, but helps provide a reason, even if a silly reason for the object to disappear, etc. Why did the knot drop off of Whit Haydn's rope??? Pixie dust of course. Since it's invisible, I have a large supply in my pocket.

Snapping fingers?? Used all the time in hypnosis and music. Why not sometimes in magic?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-20 13:14, lynnef wrote:
...Snapping fingers?? Used all the time in hypnosis and music. Why not sometimes in magic?

What makes the moment tragic is not the signal so much as the setup and conviction and with which it is presented. An attempt to be comic, ironic, congruent... or really, really lame. If they aren't sure about your character they go for... you guessed it.
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
(Jon Townsend, your posts are inscrutable to me!! >:(

Even something as simple as calling something a "tragic moment." I have no clue what that means.)

I would like to say something: Everyone is composed of two or more minds. Snapping of fingers triggers the attention of more basic instincts, the more subtle or buried mind. It is a sharp, distinct noise used to attract attention. This may or may not be important, but it should be known if you want to analyze the affects and motivations of your magical gestures on the intellectual, rather than the intuitive, level.

Who is to say that the magic DOESN'T happen because of the snapping of fingers?

~Nick
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The ones who try it to find it does not work.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Nick, Jonathan's more outre comments are quotes from a TV series - Red Dwarf :0)

I am enjoying them but I can understand why "I am the Bolivian Navy on manoeuvres in the South Pacific. Lie mode" could perplex Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Re: "tragic moments"

Quote:
On 2011-07-18 05:40, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Tyler Erickson has a great phrase for this sort of thing. He calls them "tragic moments"....

It also helps to read the posts that precede for context.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 10:57, tommy wrote:
The ones who try it to find it does not work.

You mean you do not let the spectotor make the magic passes or gestures? If the best magic is that which happens in a spectator's hand, is not "second best" the ones in which they "make it happen?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » "and when I snap my fingers..." (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL