The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cabbage/Cole Slaw Cups and Balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Someone told me they saw a Cups and Balls routine in which the balls were miniature baby-head cabbage and the final loads were three piles of Cole Slaw.

References to the routine were sketchy at best and I remain skeptical. I think if such a routine exists, this forum will know…

Thanks in advance.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I haven't seen anything like that, but if someone makes miniature Brussels sprouts, they would be perfect for that routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
LOL!

3 piles of cole slaw...
e, tell me you're making this up.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
It may seem funny, but hey, it sounds like an idea...
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
As a chef by trade I can appreciate this, but the slaw seems way too messy...let's think about this. What other foods would have cool congruent loads? Racking my brain...Maybe use smaller key limes (normally about 1-1.5" in diameter) and end with slice of pie! Or Olives and at the end, put two cups together like a shaker and pour out a martini. I could see this working for a Benson bowl routine vs. the cups because you would only need 1 or 2 loads instead of 3 or 4. Something to think about!

Jonathan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is the first time I have seen a post by someone who is guilty of thinking like a chef AND a magician.

It doesn't have to be REAL coleslaw now, does it? Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
No, but if you produce coleslaw, the thrill is that it is real. Anyone can manipulate a piece of plastic. But real coleslaw? That's impressive! The first think they're gonna want to know is if it's real. I envision you lifting the cups to have 3 pile of coleslaw spread out. HAHAH! I know Bill- I am a chef to the end. If you're gonna do it, do it right and bring spoons for the audience. Although I don't think you're gonna catch me tasting warm final load slaw, especially if you load from the back pockets! Smile
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
If you vanish the cole slaw into a topit, this nearly resets automatically for table hopping...
Is it the Chicago Dog that has slaw on it?
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Maybe it wasn't cole slaw, but sauerkraut?
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Mr. Pan,

If you're going to go this far why not go all the way. Spaghetti and Meatballs!

Mmmmm

Phil
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I too am a classically and contemporarily trained chef by trade, and I often think as a chef and magician at the same time. Unfortunately, it does not always come out to a workable solution...

In retrospect, though the idea would be funny, cabbage would not necessarily make a good load of any sort with most metal cups because of its acidity. Over time, that would cause some problems. I agree that it would be better suited to a wooden bowl for a Benson Bowl routine, but the mess would still be horrible.

Donnie you made me laugh with the topit comment, that was great! Slightly off subject: Still working on the shaker routine too...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 02:00, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Maybe it wasn't cole slaw, but sauerkraut?

There is a slaw dog, very popular down south. Pretty good, too.

On the topic of slaw for a load, be sure to use a vinegar-based slaw and not a mayonnaise-based slaw, or you'll risk poisoning someone... (as if they'd REALLY say thank you, and take a bite!!)

Messy, sure, but Pete Biro claims to have loaded a handful of mashed potatoes before.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I can't recall the routine but I posted about it in an old thread. In a magazine article describing a cups & balls routine the magician produced 3 piping hot potatos as the final loads. Nobody could pick them up for more than a few seconds they were so hot.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 23:56, Jonathan Brown wrote:
No, but if you produce coleslaw, the thrill is that it is real. Anyone can manipulate a piece of plastic. But real coleslaw? That's impressive! The first think they're gonna want to know is if it's real. I envision you lifting the cups to have 3 pile of coleslaw spread out. HAHAH! I know Bill- I am a chef to the end. If you're gonna do it, do it right and bring spoons for the audience. Although I don't think you're gonna catch me tasting warm final load slaw, especially if you load from the back pockets! Smile


We load rubber peanuts, rubber apples, rubber potatoes, rubber olives and all sorts of other rubber objects.

Even then, there are loading methods that would allow you to load real coleslaw without it actually touching the inside of the cups. John Mendoza's coin loader is one example. Buma makes a loader that would also permit it. This interruption makes me realize how little some people know about loading techniques and/or devices.

The idea of allowing people to taste something you have produced as a final load is really sort of silly. Certainly it violates a number of health ordinances.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 18:38, Bill Palmer wrote:

...This interruption makes me realize how little some people know about loading techniques and/or devices.

The idea of allowing people to taste something you have produced as a final load is really sort of silly. Certainly it violates a number of health ordinances.


Forgive me for my interruption of your serious magical discussions Mr. Palmer. And apparently a little humor here is frowned upon. My apologies. Please continue...and for what it's worth an audience member testing the validity of such a load isn't absolutely ridiculous. I don't think the audience would buy Steve Cohen's "Think-a-Drink" if he told them to just take his word the colored liquid in the glass is "real."

Jonathan Brown
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 18:38, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 23:56, Jonathan Brown wrote:
No, but if you produce coleslaw, the thrill is that it is real. Anyone can manipulate a piece of plastic. But real coleslaw? That's impressive! The first think they're gonna want to know is if it's real. I envision you lifting the cups to have 3 pile of coleslaw spread out. HAHAH! I know Bill- I am a chef to the end. If you're gonna do it, do it right and bring spoons for the audience. Although I don't think you're gonna catch me tasting warm final load slaw, especially if you load from the back pockets! Smile


We load rubber peanuts, rubber apples, rubber potatoes, rubber olives and all sorts of other rubber objects.

Even then, there are loading methods that would allow you to load real coleslaw without it actually touching the inside of the cups. John Mendoza's coin loader is one example. Buma makes a loader that would also permit it. This interruption makes me realize how little some people know about loading techniques and/or devices.



Bill, are you referring to these?:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/product/ball......2637.htm
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Exactly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 18:58, Jonathan Brown wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 18:38, Bill Palmer wrote:

...This interruption makes me realize how little some people know about loading techniques and/or devices.

The idea of allowing people to taste something you have produced as a final load is really sort of silly. Certainly it violates a number of health ordinances.


Forgive me for my interruption of your serious magical discussions Mr. Palmer. And apparently a little humor here is frowned upon. My apologies. Please continue...and for what it's worth an audience member testing the validity of such a load isn't absolutely ridiculous. I don't think the audience would buy Steve Cohen's "Think-a-Drink" if he told them to just take his word the colored liquid in the glass is "real."

Jonathan Brown


Even with the "smiley," I didn't actually detect any humor in your post.

Don't get your knickers in a twist. The whole point of the Think-a-Drink Act, whether it is Steve Cohen's version or Charles Hoffmann's, is that the drinks the spectators think of are actually produced. That's not necessarily the point of the final loads of the cups and balls.

Your idea that the acid from the coleslaw would attack the cups is, of course, specious. Even if the coleslaw were slightly acidic, it would be less acidic than, say, the vinegar we sometimes use to clean copper cups. Besides, Steve actually serves the drinks in glasses after pouring them from something that is most likely clean. Knowing Steve, I would expect no less from him. What are you going to do with a routine like this with coleslaw? Pick it up from your table? I don't think so.

The idea of having the spectators taste the coleslaw reminds me of passing a deck of cards for examination. The show comes to a screeching halt.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 19:13, panlives wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 18:38, Bill Palmer wrote:

We load rubber peanuts, rubber apples, rubber potatoes, rubber olives and all sorts of other rubber objects.

Even then, there are loading methods that would allow you to load real coleslaw without it actually touching the inside of the cups. John Mendoza's coin loader is one example. Buma makes a loader that would also permit it. This interruption makes me realize how little some people know about loading techniques and/or devices.



Bill, are you referring to these?:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/product/ball......2637.htm


I should mention that I was thinking more along the lines of the standard sized versions of these cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 22:15, Bill Palmer wrote:


The idea of having the spectators taste the coleslaw reminds me of passing a deck of cards for examination. The show comes to a screeching halt.


Was anyone really serious about having someone taste the coleslaw??? I thought the idea of 3 wet piles of sloppy coleslaw appearing on the table was funny. Certainly it wouldn't be a regular feature in a show, but funny as hell in front of a bunch of late night magicians.

How do things get so danged convoluted in this place??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cabbage/Cole Slaw Cups and Balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL