The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Out Of This World with Gilbreath principle. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
So here is a little video of mine where I show an idea that I had some time ago about how more than one spectators can shuffle the deck using the Gilbreath principle. The effect I use it with is somewhat similar to Out Of This World.

Is either of these original?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVb2koinJ8
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
If you're intersted in spectator really riffle shuffling, you might want to check out my Out Of This Universe.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 14:43, Harry Lorayne wrote:
If you're intersted in spectator really riffle shuffling, you might want to check out my Out Of This Universe.


Harry, they can really shuffle in this trick.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I realize that. I'm speaking of about THREE regular riffle shuffles. No Gilbreath principle involved. If you're into this kind of routine at all, I'm surprised you don't know OOTU - been around for over 50 years!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
This is not original. Check out Card Concepts by Arthur F. MacTier. This routine is in the book as well as a lot of other routines using the Gilbreath principle.

Frankly, in terms of effect, it is pretty hard to beat (so far it seems to be impossible!) to beat Harry's Out Of This Universe, if you want the spectator to shuffle. Nice idea for coming up with this though. I have used this routine with good effect.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:00, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I realize that. I'm speaking of about THREE regular riffle shuffles. No Gilbreath principle involved. If you're into this kind of routine at all, I'm surprised you don't know OOTU - been around for over 50 years!!


But do you need to see the faces of the cards after they shuffle?
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
And I understand that OOTU is stronger to a spectator then this. This is just some fancy method trick.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1034 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:09, 1tepa1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:00, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I realize that. I'm speaking of about THREE regular riffle shuffles. No Gilbreath principle involved. If you're into this kind of routine at all, I'm surprised you don't know OOTU - been around for over 50 years!!


But do you need to see the faces of the cards after they shuffle?


Nope! Works just great without seeing the faces. Mr. Lorayne even gives you an alternate proecedure if they're a super sloppy shuffler. It's a great effect.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:23, Dr. JK wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:09, 1tepa1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 15:00, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I realize that. I'm speaking of about THREE regular riffle shuffles. No Gilbreath principle involved. If you're into this kind of routine at all, I'm surprised you don't know OOTU - been around for over 50 years!!






Nope! Works just great without seeing the faces. Mr. Lorayne even gives you an alternate proecedure if they're a super sloppy shuffler. It's a great effect.


I mean can they shuffle packet consisting of red and black cards together?
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3221 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
1tepa1, the reason that routine is weaker than most other versions of OOTW is that the spectator's decisions are not free decision, they're predicated on what's in your pile of cards. That weakens the ultimate effect that they did the separation themselves, and perhaps even hints that the shuffle isn't completely fair, even if the method might seem unfathomable.

Paul Curry himself published a routine using the Gilbreath principle where, like what you did, the participant does one riffle shuffle, the cards are dealt into two piles, and then ... I won't write the rest of the routine. His routine is not OOTW, but it's a better use of that principle.

Curry's routine, titled "Don't Lie To Me", takes advantage of the relationship between the two piles while also hiding the existence of that relationship from the audience. And, there's more to his routine than just using the colors of the cards. I highly recommend his routine.

"Don't Lie To Me" is in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond written by Paul Curry.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3087 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
The format for this thing seems closer to a sympathy/coincidence routine than OOTW. I guess technically it'd be antipathy rather than sympathy, but the point would be to look to sympathy/coincidence routines for ideas on where to take this.

Presentationally, it might be better to do it similarly to how Lennart Green and others have done it, as a bet. If the colours match, they win. If the colours are different you win. That sort of challenge effect needs to be handled very, very carefully so that they don't hate you at the end of it, and there is a large amount of dead time involved early on, but I've long felt that this class of effect had a lot of untapped potential. Baffling stuff there.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 16:15, Bill Hallahan wrote:
1tepa1, the reason that routine is weaker than most other versions of OOTW is that the spectator's decisions are not free decision, they're predicated on what's in your pile of cards. That weakens the ultimate effect that they did the separation themselves, and perhaps even hints that the shuffle isn't completely fair, even if the method might seem unfathomable.

Paul Curry himself published a routine using the Gilbreath principle where, like what you did, the participant does one riffle shuffle, the cards are dealt into two piles, and then ... I won't write the rest of the routine. His routine is not OOTW, but it's a better use of that principle.

Curry's routine, titled "Don't Lie To Me", takes advantage of the relationship between the two piles while also hiding the existence of that relationship from the audience. And, there's more to his routine than just using the colors of the cards. I highly recommend his routine.

"Don't Lie To Me" is in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond written by Paul Curry.


Thanks for informing me. I have to check that out definitely. I have one more idea with gilbreath principle which I may post here in the following days. I believe it is original. It also doesent show the relation between the two piles becouse the piles are actually shuffled together so there is no relation to be seen.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Just check out OOTU, 1tepa1, and it will answer all your questions. You really need to be aware of the standards (OOTU, as I said, has been around for over five decades, and used by people all over the world) before trying to come up with "new" things. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 18:05, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Just check out OOTU, 1tepa1, and it will answer all your questions. You really need to be aware of the standards (OOTU, as I said, has been around for over five decades, and used by people all over the world) before trying to come up with "new" things. HL.


I have seen many versions of OOTW but I seem not to be familiar with that particular one.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Incredible.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
OOTU is the first card trick I ever learned back in the '70s.
Many thanks Harry.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
There's a Call To The Colours method involving Gilbreath in Asi Wind's booklet Chapter One.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
1tepa1: And, you might even want to research my Impromptu OOTW, wherein the spectator can REALLY shuffle the deck, any way he or she wants, and then you go RIGHT into OOTW. Again, you need to know what's already out there, particularly "standards" before coming up with "new" variations.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 10:07, Harry Lorayne wrote:
1tepa1: And, you might even want to research my Impromptu OOTW, wherein the spectator can REALLY shuffle the deck, any way he or she wants, and then you go RIGHT into OOTW. Again, you need to know what's already out there, particularly "standards" before coming up with "new" variations.


I am familiar with that version.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"I have seen many versions of OOTW but I seem not to be familiar with that particular one."

odd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Out Of This World with Gilbreath principle. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL